If you are looking for the Best Android App For Genealogy to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 7 Best Android App For Genealogy that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 7 Best Android App For Genealogy, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
7 Best Android App For Genealogy
“When you get a few spare minutes, dip into your family history research with the free Findmypast app. You can manage your family tree, discover historical documents, find new ancestors, add photos and more.
While you have a little downtime, you can:
Search for records
We’ve got billions of family records. Do a quick search from your phone and piece your family history together.
Add new relatives
Have your phone ready at the next family gathering. Add a new ancestor as soon as you learn about them.
Share your findings
Show your discoveries to friends and relatives when it pops up in conversation, or text them. All it needs is a quick screenshot.
Get record hint notifications
We’ll send them the moment we find vital records like birth, marriage or death certificates, Census records and tree-to-tree hints.
Review your hints on the go
Quickly swipe through your hints and add them to your family tree. Or, reject them if they don’t look relevant.
Add photos to your family tree
Upload snaps or a selfie from your iPhone. They personalise your family tree and help familiarise you with your ancestors.
Upload records and more
As well as historical photos, you can add records, stories and more to your ancestors’ profiles.
See the family structure
Get an overview of each ancestors’ spouse, parents, siblings and children in a simple list.
Indulge your passion for family history anytime, anywhere. Download the Findmypast genealogy app to your device now.”
2. EZ Genealogy
“EZ Genealogy is the easy way to get into genealogy and family research. Designed to be easy to use for the casual user or beginning researcher, yet powerful enough for the long-time genealogy pros, EZ Genealogy contains something for everybody!
Included in EZ Genealogy are all of the tools you would expect from a family tree creation and research application. You can create multiple family tree projects. Projects are broken down in the individual people, and the events and relationships which connect them. With EZ Genealogy, tracking, storing, and logging your family history and ancestry has never been easier!
EZ Genealogy also includes several types of reports you can print out, including descendant reports, family reports, kinship reports, and listings of all people in your database. Printed genealogical reports are great to have at family reunions and gatherings!
With EZ Genealogy, your data is private to you. Nothing is stored off of your device or transmitted to remote servers and sold. This is an offline application.
One goal with EZ Genealogy is to be 100% standards compliant with the de-facto standard GEDCOM format. Right now, exporting is fairly solid, but importing does need some work. I am committed to improving this part of the app to get GEDCOM up to 100%.
EZ Genealogy is for you guys, from the beginner to the expert, and I am open to implementing any features and changes. Use the in-app feedback form or send me an email with suggestions and requests and I will get to it. This app is for you all, so help me make it great!”
3. Family Tree Maker – FamilyGTG
– Create new family tree directly from the device.
– Import GEDCOM genealogy files easily (GEDCOM Viewer)*.
– Export family trees to GEDCOM files (send via email or store on device)*.
– Add and remove family members, and set relations between them.
– Search family members by name.
– View member’s full profile: relatives, personal info, and photo.
– Add, change, or remove member photos*.
– Edit member information (name, birth, marriage details, note, etc.).
– Show descendants & ancestors tree for a specific member*.
– Add a member to bookmarks list for easy reference later*.
– Browse events calendar (birth, marriage, …) for each month*. Today’s events are highlighted.
– Enable daily events reminders.
– Browse family photo gallery.
– View or share a log of edits (member added/edited/removed, etc.)*.
– Undo/Redo logged edits*.
– Show statistics about the family tree.
– Sample family can be optionally downloaded.
– Change app language. Available translations: Dutch, English, French, German, and Spanish.
– Free version app with no time limitation and ads-free.
* some limitations apply.
GEDCOM (GEnealogical Data COMmunication) files can be created by any desktop software. Send the file to your device via any method: bluetooth, … etc. FamilyGTG then scans your device for any GEDCOM files (with .ged extention) so they can be imported.
Check FamilyGTG full version app ($3 USD) for no limitations.”
4. Heredis 2022
“This version is compatible only with Heredis 2022. If you want to install a compatible version for a previous version of Heredis, choose the application Heredis or Heredis 2021 if you use the software version Heredis 2021.
In this new mobile version, you have now the possibility to add a transcription to your sources.
Heredis lets you create your family tree, share your genealogy and take it with you wherever you want with this free app.
The Heredis Android offers essential functions for working with your genealogy on Android. Sending your Heredis files, viewing, browsing, editing, deleting and adding certain data from your tree.
With the app, use the Navigation via the dynamic tree and print or send by email the designed tree chart which allows you to display your genealogy according to different graphic themes.
The sharing feature is available to share your file between all your devices: Windows, Mac, iOS and Android.
Note: The Prepare for Android function can be used for files not exceeding 4 GB. If your genealogy file is more than 4 GB, then choose to share on the local network.
In this new mobile version, you can add the labels “Untraceable Father” and/or “Untraceable Mother” to a person if you cannot find any information about its parents. You can also declare a person as complete if you have found all necessary information about a person or if it is impossible to find more.
Heredis has been designing family tree software for over 25 years. Avant-garde and revolutionnary in its approach, Heredis keeps ahead of its competitors through its innovative technological choices and genealogical solutions which are fully geared to user needs. In order to maintain the best possible software, Heredis works closely with its users and welcomes all suggestions which will contribute to its development.
Optimized for Android 5.1 and more.
More information on www.heredis.com/en/”
5. FamilySearch Tree
“Your family history is the story of you. The FamilySearch Tree app makes it easy to add to, edit, or share your own family’s history anywhere you can take a phone or tablet. Since the app syncs with the FamilySearch website, changes or additions you make are available on any device.
Family Tree—View, add, and edit information about your ancestors. Enhance your tree by adding photos, stories, and documents.
Tasks—See which ancestors FamilySearch has already found in historical records and get ideas for what to do next.
Search Historical Records—Find your ancestors in the billions of records on FamilySearch.org to learn more details of your family story.
Relatives Around Me—See how you are related to nearby FamilySearch users that are also signed in to the app. This is a fun activity at your next group meeting, party, or event.
Map My Ancestors—Explore your heritage in maps that show where the key events of your ancestors’ lives took place.
Messages—Communicate and collaborate with other FamilySearch users from within the app.
6. Ancestry: Explore your family tree & genealogy
“Explore your family story through photos, stories, historical documents and records, genealogy, and so much more. Just build a family tree, take a name and we’ll help you to discover long-lost relatives, and share your family stories anytime, anywhere with the Ancestry® app.
Why you’ll love to discover your family history and explore origins using Ancestry:
• View your family tree, search and add new family members, upload photos, and share stories – all with just a few taps
• Explore and share your discoveries from your long lost family and collaborate with friends and relatives with one simple tap
• Discover your family history easily with our hints, matches, and search
• Our dynamic Discover feed lets you review, dismiss, and save your hints for later
• Enjoy our new modern layout design, making it even easier for you to explore
• With a free trial or paid subscription easily access more than 27 billion records, photos, and more
• Discover stories, photos, and records about your ancestors with Ancestry Hints®
• Preserve your family story and essential information (photos, genealogy, stories, documents, life events, and more) in a single location so it can be preserved for generations to come
• Collaborate with friends and family and find your family story – it couldn’t be easier
• Combine with your DNA result to help you learn more about your origins, family hierarchy, and relatives.
• Build a family tree
• Search the 1940 U.S. Census record and access millions of public records
• Receive hints based on your tree
• Upload family pictures
• Receive messages from Ancestry members
• See your ancestors’ life stories on a map
Available with an optional free trial or subscription:
• View more than 27 billion records
• Add records to your tree
• Use hints to learn about ancestors
• Find pictures of your family
• Enjoy unrestricted messaging
• With World Explorer membership, access to more than 30 billion worldwide records
Android Phone and Tablet Features:
• Curious about your family tree and long-lost family history? Simply look up a relative’s name and share what you discover with your loved ones
• Remember the high school years by finding yearbook photos to share with your close family and friends, all with just a quick one tap
• Review your personalized hints
• Add photos, hints, or ancestor stories and watch your family tree grow
• With a free trial or paid subscription access more than 27 billion records, photos, and more
• Sync automatically with your Ancestry account
• Easily upload photos and add facts or stories to your family tree
• Learn about historical events that affected your ancestors and long lost family members
• Watch Ancestry Academy Videos that get you started with genealogy research
Download the Ancestry Family History today to explore origins and discover your family tree, long-lost relatives, origins, genealogy, and so much more!
View our Terms and Conditions at: https://www.ancestry.com/cs/legal/termsandconditions
View our Privacy Statement at
CCPA Notice at Collection https://www.ancestry.com/cs/legal/privacystatement#personal-info-categories
*Within free apps in Google Play Store Books & Reference category”
7. Quick Family Tree
[A]There is no PC version.iOS and Android smartphone apps only. [Q]Is it possible to merge multiple family trees later?
[A]There is no function to combine multiple family trees yet. [Q]Can I transfer data to another smartphone? Is data backup possible?
[A]There is an import / export function. See the help page for details.
We confirmed the operation on Google Drive, email, and Dropbox.
We have received reports that we cannot send and receive on Facebook, WhatsApp, and LINE. [Q]I want to display maternal and paternal ancestors at the same time.
[A]If the maternal ancestors and paternal ancestors are displayed at the same time, it is difficult to display them while maintaining the order of the siblings. [Q]Can you print?
[A]You cannot print directly from the app.Images can be output using the capture function. Please print the created image with another application. [Q]Is PDF format file output possible?
[A]PDF output is not yet. [Q]Is it compatible with GEDCOM format files?
[A]GEDCOM format files are not supported. [Q]Can I use it offline?
[A]Since the data is stored on the smartphone (tablet) side, it can be used even in an offline environment. [Q]Is it possible to set up same-sex couples?
[A]The initial state is opposite sex, but it is possible to change to the same sex after registration. [Q]I want to add a child without showing spouse.
[A]At present, children can only connect between couples. Please add a temporary spouse. [Q]Is there a paid ad-free version?
[A]I have not yet considered paid apps. Free version only. [Q]Can I publish images created on the app on the Web?
[A]Please use it freely.”