If you are looking for the Best Android App For Night Sky Viewing to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 7 Best Android App For Night Sky Viewing that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 7 Best Android App For Night Sky Viewing, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
7 Best Android App For Night Sky Viewing
1. SkySafari 6 Pro
“SkySafari 6 Pro will revolutionize your astronomical viewing experience. It has the largest database of any astronomy app, includes every solar system object ever discovered, offers unparalleled accuracy, flawless telescope control, and provides the very best experience under the stars when you depend on it. Discover why SkySafari 6 Pro is the #1 recommended astronomy app for serious amateur astronomers since 2009.
Here’s what’s new in version 6:
1) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. SkySafari 6 Pro will (optionally) back up all of your observing data in our secure cloud storage and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
2) We Have The Best Stars. Precise, modern and deep. We’ve updated our star catalog to use the latest and greatest, UCAC5 star catalog. If 25 million stars down to 15th magnitude isn’t enough for you, an easy in-app purchase gets you down to 16.5 magnitude and a whopping 100 million stars!
3) We Have The Best Galaxies. The PGC catalog includes galaxies down to 18th magnitude. Want more galaxies? How about 2.6 million more? An in-app purchase gives you access to the largest galaxy database available for your device.
4) Observers First. A redesign of our tools puts the active observer first. Quick access to features like your equipment, observing sites, lists, and observations make it easy and enjoyable to get out, observe, and record your observations. The observing sessions feature lets you collect your observations into groups that span a few hours, or a few nights.
5) Graph It. The completely new graph tool will give a quick visual representation of an object’s altitude above the horizon. Essential for planning your night’s observations.
6) Plan It. Make the most of your time under the stars. Our updated planner is a powerful tool that lets you create a list of targets for your observing session with filters like object types, specific time ranges, constellation, catalog, and more. Plan it and get more done.
7) Tilt It. Every old astronomy app these days lets your tilt and pan your device to show different parts of the sky, but who else lets you control your telescope that way!? “Tilt to slew” is an optional mode allowing you to keep your eye in the eyepiece, and, using the accelerometers in your device, gently translate the movements of your hands into smooth telescope motion.
8) Share It. SkySafari 6 is more than just a mobile app, it’s a new system to help organize and share your observing experiences. With a free signup, you can see and share your observing data from our web portal, LiveSky.com! Affordable premium memberships add online editing, so you can not only view, but edit your observations, add new observing sites, manage your equipment and more. Finally, you can view, edit and manage your settings files with SkySafari Web, our fully functional web version.
If you haven’t used SkySafari 6 Pro before, here’s what you can do with it:
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari 6 Pro will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events.
• Control your telescope, log and plan your observations.
• Night Vision.
• Orbit Mode. Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Galaxy View shows the position of deep sky objects in our Milky Way!
• Much more!”
2. Star Walk 2 Ads+ Sky Map View
“Star Walk 2 Ads+ – Identify Stars in the Night Sky is a great astronomy guide to explore the night sky day and night, identify stars, constellations, planets, satellites, asteroids, comets, ISS, Hubble Space Telescope and other celestial bodies in real time in the sky above you. All you need to do is to point your device to the sky.
Explore the deep sky with one of the best astronomical applications.
Objects and astronomical events to learn in this stargazing app:
– Stars and constellations, their position in the night sky
– Solar system bodies (solar system planets, the Sun, the Moon, dwarf planets, asteroids, comets)
– Deep Space objects (nebulae, galaxies, star clusters)
– Satellites overhead
– Meteor showers, equinoxes, conjunctions, full/new Moon and etc.
Star Walk 2 Ads+ contains in-app purchases.
Star Walk 2 Ads+ – Identify Stars in the Night Sky is a perfect planets, stars and constellations finder which can be used by both space amateurs and serious stargazers to learn astronomy by themselves. It is also a great educational tool for teachers to use during their astronomy classes.
Star Walk 2 Ads+ in travel & tourism industry:
‘Rapa Nui Stargazing’ on Easter Island uses the app for sky observations during its astronomical tours.
‘Nakai Resorts Group’ in the Maldives uses the app during astronomy meetings for its guests.
This free version contains ads. You can remove ads through In-App purchases.
Main features of our astronomy app:
★ Stars and planets finder shows the real-time map of the sky on your screen in whatever direction you are pointing the device.* To navigate, you pan your view on screen by swiping in any direction, zoom out by pinching the screen, or zoom in by stretching it.
★ Learn a lot about the solar system, constellations, stars, comets, asteroids, spacecraft, nebulas, identify their position on the map of the sky in real time. Find any celestial body following a special pointer on the map of the stars and planets.
★ Touching a clock-face icon at the upper-right corner of the screen allows you select any date and time and lets you go forward or backward in time and watch the night sky map of stars and planets in fast motion. Find out star position of different time periods.
★ Enjoy AR stargazing. View stars, constellations, planets, satellites overhead and other night sky objects in augmented reality. Tap on the image of the camera on the screen and the astronomy app will activate your device’s camera so you can see charted objects appear superimposed on live sky objects.
★ Except for map of the sky with stars and constellations, find the deep-sky objects, satellites in space live, meteor showers. The night-mode will make your sky observation at night time more comfortable. Stars and constellations are closer than you think.
★ With our star chart app you will get a deeper understanding of the constellation`s scale and place in the night sky map. Enjoy observing wonderful 3D models of constellations, turn them upside down, read their stories and other astronomy facts.
★Be aware of the latest news from the world of outer space and astronomy. The “What’s new” section of our stargazing astronomy app will tell you about the most outstanding astronomical events in time.
*The Star Spotter feature won’t work for the devices that are not equipped with the gyroscope and compass.
Star Walk 2 Free – Identify Stars in the Night Sky is an impressively good looking astronomy app for stargazing at any time and place. It is the all-new version of the previous Star Walk. This new version has a re-designed interface in conjunction with advanced features.
If you’ve ever said to yourself “I’d like to learn the constellations” or wondered “Is that a star or a planet in the night sky?”, Star Walk 2 Ads+ is the astronomy app you’ve been looking for. Try one of the best astronomy applications.”
3. Sky Tonight – Star Gazer Guide
★ What is that bright dot in the sky?
★ What astronomical events can I see tonight?
★ How can I find the object I’m interested in?
Made by the developers of Star Walk apps, Sky Tonight is a customizable stargazing tool, that is designed for users with different needs and wants. You can adjust the constellation’s appearance, set a reminder for any space body configuration, explore the unique relative to observer trajectory, set up a magnitude limit to filter out space objects, and much more.
Sky Tonight features:
► Point your device at the sky to see the real-time positions of space objects on the interactive sky map.
► Activate the Time Machine and determine the position of celestial bodies at different time periods.
► Use the augmented reality mode and see the sky map overlaid on the image from your device’s camera.
► Get extended information about any sky object by tapping on its name.
► Stay updated on the latest news from the world of astronomy with the What’s new section.
► Turn on the night mode to make your sky observation in the nighttime more comfortable.
► Filter the objects that appear on the sky map according to their visual brightness.
► Regulate the brightness of objects on the sky map.
► Spot dozens of asterisms along with the official constellations.
► Adjust the visible constellations and customize their representation on the screen.
◆ Interactive trajectories relative to an observer
Instead of the classic trajectory that shows the object’s trajectory in the celestial sphere relative to the Earth’s center, the app presents the object’s trajectory in the sky relative to an observer. A long touch on the trajectories relative to the observer will move the sky object to the selected point. While holding the touch, move your finger along the trajectory to change the time.
◆ Flexible search
Make use of the flexible search — quickly find space objects, easily navigate across different objects and events’ types. Look for “stars”, “mars moons”, “mars conjunctions”, “solar eclipse”, and the app will show you all related objects, events, and articles!
There are also Trending and Recent categories in the search section. The first one presents the currently most popular objects, events, or news; the second category contains objects you recently selected.
◆ Fully customizable event reminders
Set event reminders on any time and date not to miss a solar eclipse, a Full Moon, or a star-planet configuration you’re interested in.
◆ Astronomy calendar with a stargazing index and weather forecast
Check out the calendar of celestial events that includes lunar phases, meteor showers, eclipses, oppositions, conjunctions, and other exciting events. Learn what astronomy events will occur this month or see what happened in the sky a year ago!
Verify the Stargazing Index calculated from a Moon phase, light pollution, cloudiness, and time when an object is visible. The higher this index is, the better the observation conditions are.
You don’t need several apps for your stargazing planning anymore; Sky Tonight contains all the info you need.
* The app includes paid Premium Access. Get Premium Access to use Sky Tonight with no limits! Without the subscription, you can’t see most of the interface items in various sections such as Visible Tonight, Calendar, and Search. Therefore, you’re limited in planning and improving your observations. Premium Access will allow you to unlock all the interface items in any view and make the most of all the app’s features. Advertisements will also be removed not to interrupt your stargazing experience.”
4. SkyView® Explore the Universe
“You don’t need to be an astronomer to find stars or constellations in the sky, just open SkyView® and let it guide you to their location and identify them. SkyView® is a beautiful and intuitive stargazing app that uses your camera to precisely spot and identify celestial objects in sky, day or night. Find all 88 constellations as they fade in and out while you scan across the sky, locate every planet in our solar system, discover distant galaxies, and witness satellite fly-bys.
***An AppsZoom Best Android App 2014***
• Simple: Point your device at the sky to identify galaxies, stars, constellations, planets, and satellites (including the ISS and Hubble) passing overhead at your location.
• Night Mode: Preserve your night vision with red or green night mode filters.
• Augmented Reality (AR): Use your camera to spot objects in the sky, day or night.
• Sky Paths: Follow the sky track for any object to see it’s exact location in the sky on any date and time.
• Comprehensive: Includes thousands of stars, planets, and satellites with thousands of interesting facts.
• Time Travel: Jump to the future or the past and see the sky on different dates and times.
• Social: Capture and share beautiful images with friends and family on social networks.
• Mobile: WiFi is NOT required (does not require a data signal or GPS to function). Take it camping, boating, or even flying!
What a fun way to teach yourself, your children, your students, or your friends about our wonderful universe!”
5. SkySafari – Astronomy App
Simply hold your device to the sky and quickly locate planets, constellations, satellites, and millions of stars and deep sky objects. Packed with interactive information and rich graphics, discover why SkySafari is your perfect stargazing companion under the night sky.
• Ever wanted to know what the sky looked like in 500 B.C.? What about in 2190? With SkySafari, you can simulate the night sky from anywhere on Earth many years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, comet approaches, transits, conjunctions, and other celestial events.
• Rich graphics unlike you’ve ever seen before! See galaxies, constellations, and more in stunning and vivid detail. Plus, optional constellation illustrations that will blow your mind.
• Just browsing the sky for something to look for? Check out the Tonight’s Best feature, which tells you which objects you’ll get the best view of tonight.
• Raise your device to the sky and SkySafari will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your real time movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• Night Vision – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Locate the Sun, Moon, or Mars from our extensive database and track the arrow to be directed to their exact locations in the sky in front of you. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn about the history, mythology, and science of the heavens! Browse from hundreds of object descriptions, astronomical photographs, and NASA spacecraft images. Plus, stay up-to-date with SkyWeek for information about all major sky events every day – miss nothing!
• Watch animated meteor showers with complete viewing information & spectacular graphics.
• View 120,000 stars; over 200 star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies; all major planets and moons; and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites, including the International Space Station (ISS).
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly like a NASA space probe through the solar system (requires in-app purchase).
• Much more!
New in Version 6:
1) Complete support for Android 8. We’ve got you covered and release regular updates.
2) Clouds and astronomy, two words that rarely go together. SkySafari 6 will now (optionally) back up all your settings files and make it easily accessible on multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) Redesigned toolbar, now with the ability to hide. Invisibility powers, activate!
4) Configurable font sizes – having trouble telling if that number is a 5 or a 6? Just make it bigger!
5) Better control of magnitude limits – for example, you can select to not see stars on the app that you can’t see with your naked eye!
6) Improved the databases!
7) Updated information for comets and asteroids!
8) Now the moon looks better when you zoom out! 🌚
Cosmos Collection: In-app purchase allows you to travel to other planets and stars, visualize the 3D location of deepsky objects in our galaxy, and listen to hours of audio guided tours of the heavens.
The Cosmos Collection includes:
Lift off from the Earth and travel to the planets, moons and stars.
Guided Audio Tours
Listen to more than four hours of audio narration to learn the history, mythology, and science of the heavens.
Visualize the 3-D location of stars and deep sky objects in the Milky Way, our home galaxy.
The pronunciation guide in SkySafari will help you learn how to correctly pronounce the names of hundreds of celestial objects from different categories such as stars, constellations and planets.
For more deluxe features and telescope control, check out SkySafari 6 Plus and SkySafari 6 Pro!”
6. Astrospheric – Astronomy Weather Forecasting
Using the amazing astronomy data produced by the Canadian Meteorological Center, NOAA, and others, Astrospheric produces a highly accurate 48 hour forecast for any location in the continental United States or Canada.
Overlaying cloud, transparency, seeing, and light pollution data onto a map makes it simple to search through the next two days looking for the nearest break in the weather.
• 84 hour, hour-by-hour forecast
• Extended 8 day cloud forecast
• Updated every 6 hours
• Infrared satellite date update every 30 mintues
• Sky data: cloud, sky transparency, smoke, and seeing
• Ground data: wind, temperature, and humidity
• Precise rise and set times for both the sun and moon
• ISS (International Space Station) path information
• Custom notifications for your favorite locations
• Cloud, transparency, smoke, and seeing map layers for most of North America
• Satellite data
• Jetstream, Aerosol Optical Depth, ground layers
• Easily scrub through the 48 hour forecast with each layer
• Worldwide light pollution data
• Precise altitude and illumination information
• List of upcoming moon phases with dates
• Easily save favorite locations for easy access
• Favorites roam between your devices and browser (www.astrospheric.com)
• Information necessary to quickly set up your GOTO tracking mount
• Available even if you don’t have a network connection
Please note, data is available for the continental USA, Canada, Alaska, and parts of Mexico. Since I can only target app distribution at the country level, I apologize to users in Hawaii since there is not data available in that State.”
– View over 16,000 images (and growing everyday)
– Watch live NASA TV
– Read all the latest news and features stories
– Watch over 14,000 NASA videos from around the agency
– Discover the latest NASA mission Information
– View upcoming sighting opportunities for the International Space Station and get notifications before they happen
– Watch live streaming video from the High Definition Earth Viewing (HDEV) experiment on the International Space Station
– Display satellite tracking 2D maps and 3D earth models with the International Space Station and other Earth orbiting satellites
– Get the latest tweets from around the agency
– Rate images and also check out which ones make the top rated list
– Select your own favorite images or missions and get quick access to them
– Map, information and links to all of the NASA visitor centers
– Explore the featured content section with 3D planet models and information
– View the Earth as Art image collection and interactive map
– Listen to Third Rock Radio (alternative rock radio station)
– Easily share everything with your friends on social media”