If you are looking for the Best Android App To Learn Kanji to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 8 Best Android App To Learn Kanji that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 8 Best Android App To Learn Kanji, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
8 Best Android App To Learn Kanji
1. AnkiDroid Flashcards
AnkiDroid lets you learn flashcards very efficiently by showing them just before you would forget. It is fully compatible with the spaced repetition software Anki (including synchronization), which is available for Windows/Mac/Linux/ChromeOS.
Study all sorts of things wherever and whenever you want. Make good use of idle times on bus trips, in supermarket queues or any other waiting situation!
Create your own flashcard decks or download free decks compiled for many languages and topics (more than 6000 available).
Add material through the desktop application Anki or directly through Ankidroid. The application even supports adding material automatically from a dictionary!
Need support? https://docs.ankidroid.org/help.html (much preferred over comments in reviews here 🙂 )
★ Key features:
• supported flashcard contents: text, images, sounds, LaTeX
• spaced repetition (supermemo 2 algorithm)
• text-to-speech integration
• more than 6000 premade decks
• progress widget
• detailed statistics
• syncing with AnkiWeb
• open source
★ Additional features:
• write answers (optional)
• card editor/adder
• card browser
• tablet layout
• import existing collection files (via Anki Desktop)
• dictionary integration (ColorDict, GoldenDict, Leo.org, Aedict, diverse web dictionaries)
• add cards by intent from other applications like dictionaries
• custom font support
• full backup system
• navigation by swipe, tap, shake
• fully customisable
• dynamic deck handling
• night mode
• 27 localisations
• All previous AnkiDroid versions can be downloaded from the website”
2. Google Translate
“• Text translation: Translate between 108 languages by typing
• Tap to Translate: Copy text in any app and tap the Google Translate icon to translate (all languages)
• Offline: Translate with no internet connection (59 languages)
• Instant camera translation: Translate text in images instantly by just pointing your camera (94 languages)
• Photos: Take or import photos for higher quality translations (90 languages)
• Conversations: Translate bilingual conversations on the fly (70 languages)
• Handwriting: Draw text characters instead of typing (96 languages)
• Phrasebook: Star and save translated words and phrases for future reference (all languages)
• Cross-device syncing: Login to sync phrasebook between app and desktop
• Transcribe: Continuously translate someone speaking a different language in near real-time (8 languages)
Translations between the following languages are supported:
Afrikaans, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chichewa, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Corsican, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Frisian, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Khmer, Kinyarwanda, Korean, Kurdish (Kurmanji), Kyrgyz, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mongolian, Myanmar (Burmese), Nepali, Norwegian, Odia (Oriya), Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Scots Gaelic, Serbian, Sesotho, Shona, Sindhi, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Tatar, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Turkmen, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uyghur, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh, Xhosa, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zulu
Google Translate may ask for permission to access the following features:
• Microphone for speech translation
• Camera for translating text via the camera
• SMS for translating text messages
• External storage for downloading offline translation data
• Accounts and credentials for signing-in and syncing across devices”
3. “Learn Japanese Language, Kanji”
“What if 🇯🇵 Japanese vocabulary learning would be a crazy fun game instead of boring memorisation drills? Drops makes language learning an effortless fun. Practical vocabulary is bound to your memories through beautiful graphics and quick mini-games.
The crazy part? You have only 5 mins per day. Might sound insane but works like charm! 🙂
These are the ingredients of the secret sauce:
👀 100% illustrated: Pictures directly carry the meaning – you don’t have to use your native language at all! No intermediary. Faster, more effective and of course more fun! 🙂
🏎 5 min sessions: limiting practice time sounds crazy but it it makes it incredibly addictive – which is cool thing for learning. The barrier of entry is close to zero so you can’t have any excuses: you’ll have 5 minutes even on the busiest day!
🕹 Effortless play: We know why games are fun and addictive and distilled the essence into Drops. The result is a truly immersive experience but it’s not waste of your time while you play because you build a valuable knowledge.
⚡Qucik: Keyboard typing is painfully slow. Welcome rapid swipes and taps! Trust us, you’ll need those extra seconds during the quick learning session 😉
🎯 Vocabulary only: Zero grammar, just handpicked practical words. That’s our focus and we do it extremely well. The app teaches the Korean “alphabet” Hangul (hangoul) too!
💁Forge a habit: Drops wants to make you language learning addict. Effectiveness is nothing without a well established habit. We help you build one!
We are extremely proud of our lovely word pronunciations by seasoned voice talents!
Drops is free for casual learners: more than 2500 words in 100+ topics are all available for everyone. Hardcore language learners can subscribe for premium to progress faster with unlimited learning time.
🌍 Our goal is to empower people of the world via language knowledge by providing a special tool that utilizes the universal language we all speak: pictures.
p.s.: be careful, this app really can get you addicted to to language learning.
😍 If you love Drops as much as we enjoyed building it, please leave us a review! 🙂
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com”
5. FluentU: Learn Languages with authentic videos
Learn Spanish, French, Mandarin Chinese, German, Japanese, English, Italian, Russian, and Korean with FluentU.
Learn a language with music videos, movie trailers, news, and inspiring talks.
No matter what your skill level or interest, we’ve got you covered.
FluentU turns fun videos into amazing language learning experiences.”
6. Jsho – Japanese Dictionary
• 100% functional offline
• Flexible input/search methods
- Multi-radical kanji search
- Limited wildcard searching using ‘*’ (JP only and slower than normal searching)
- Romaji input automatically converted to hiragana
- Filter search results by noun, adjective, verb etc.
• Input analysis (accuracy will be improved over time, please expect mistakes)
- De-inflects conjugated words
- Attempts to split sentences into individual words and perform searches on each
• Detailed lexical information
- Pitch accent & parts of speech info. for words
- Detailed kanji information
- Stroke order animation (viewable by tapping kanji on Kanji Details page)
- Verb conjugation tables
• Multiple display options
- Toggle between kana/romaji
- Select between light & dark themes
• 3rd party connectivity
- Send words directly to AnkiDroid
- Can share words with Jsho from other apps
• Bookmark search results
• Extracted dictionary files require approx. 37MB of external storage space
• Ads shown when online (‘Remove Ads’ is currently disabled due to some issues)
• Network permission is used only for ads, this app doesn’t collect any user data whatsoever”
7. Japanese Dictionary Takoboto
“Takoboto is an offline Japanese-English, English-Japanese dictionary and Japanese language learning tool. It includes translations of some words in French, German and Russian and displays example sentences, kanji information and conjugated forms for each word.
The words can be searched using kanji, kana, romaji or latin alphabets. Full sentences and conjugated forms are also recognized. Kanji can be searched by selecting multiple radicals.
– 200,000+ Japanese entries with english translations
– Search as you type with kanji, kana, romaji or alphabet
– Example phrases to see how words are used
– Easy kanji search by selecting multiple radicals
– Conjugated forms are provided and can be searched as well
– Voice audio using text-to-speech
– Dark theme for studying Japanese at night
– Export to AnkiDroid
– Favorites, history and custom lists of words for review
– Can add your own custom translations and contribute new words
– Ready-made study lists
– Kana tables
– Japanese grammar links to external web sites
– Pitch accent display
Like most of the Japanese dictionary apps out there, the data is from the awesome JMdict project made by the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group thanks to Jim Breen and others.
Permission to access USB Storage/Photos/Media/Files is required to be able to export and import words lists to USB Storage if you do so from the menu. None of your other files or photos are accessed.
Network Connection Permission is used to send your contributions to takoboto.jp if you do so in the app or download language translations if you select them in settings, otherwise network connection is not required (dictionary works offline).
If you’d like to get more frequent updates with experimental features (and bugs), please subscribe to receive beta versions by following this link:
8. Japanese Kanji Study
“Kanji Study aims to be a helpful and easy-to-use tool for learning Japanese kanji. The app includes flashcards, multiple choice quizzes, writing challenges, kanji and word search, custom sets and much more. Kanji Study hopes to be your essential companion for mastering kanji.
The app is not entirely free; however, the free version has no ads and offers unlimited study of beginner kanji, radicals, hiragana and katakana. The dictionary and all info screens are also free and unrestricted. The one-time upgrade unlocks the remaining kanji levels and allows you to create your own custom sets. It also supports the continued development of this project.
★ Flashcard study
• Rote memorize kanji in manageable sized sets.
• View stroke animations, readings, meanings and examples.
• Customize theme, layout, displayed actions and swipe behavior.
• Assign study ratings to filter kanji out as you learn them.
★ Multiple-choice quizzes
• Customize quizzes to show readings, meanings, example words or sentences.
• Example words can be selected from JLPT, common vocab and favorites.
• Quiz times and distractors adapt based on your results.
• Further customize to repeat wrong answers, auto-play audio, pause after answering and more.
★ Writing challenges
• Improve your kanji recognition by challenging yourself to recall and write kanji.
• Learn the correct stroke order using a finely-tuned stroke detection algorithm.
• Correct strokes will snap into place and hints will appear if you are struggling.
• Detect accuracy stroke by stroke or use the self-assessment mode.
★ Quick kanji and word search
• Search over 6k kanji using readings, radicals, stroke counts, levels and more all in one text field.
• Search over 180k words by kanji, kana, romaji or translation language in the same one text field.
• Combine any number of criteria and see them highlighted in the results.
• Completely offline and very optimized for quick searching.
★ Detailed info screens
• View animated strokes, readings and meanings as well as your study time and quiz stats.
• See a breakdown of the radicals found within each kanji.
• Check out example words (grouped by the kanji readings), sentences and names.
• Explore the kanji used within each of the examples and use the breadcrumbs to navigate back.
★ Study kanji in various sequences including JLPT and Japanese school grades.
★ Notify yourself with custom study reminders when you haven’t studied.
★ Read Japanese text with over 8k native audio files and text-to-speech support.
★ Add shortcuts to your home screen to study a particular set.
★ Use the rankings screen to make custom sets based on study stats.
★ Favorite kanji, radicals and examples for referencing later.
★ Save progress using Google Drive or local storage.
★ Customize MANY additional settings.
★ Outlier Essentials
The Outlier Kanji Dictionary for learners explains kanji with a unified, easy to understand framework designed with the learner in mind and based on solid research.
– In-app Purchase (purchase upgrade)
– External Drive (store backup files)
– Install Shortcuts (add home screen shortcuts)
– Run at startup (reschedule notifications)
– Full network access (send analytics)
There is a volunteer translation project with contributions to over 30 languages. If you would like to help, please send me an email.”