If you are looking for the Best Android Text To Speech App to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 7 Best Android Text To Speech App that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 7 Best Android Text To Speech App, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
7 Best Android Text To Speech App
1. @Voice Aloud Reader (TTS Reader)
“Listen to the app reading aloud or read on screen web pages, news articles, long emails, TXT, PDF, DOC, DOCX, RTF, OpenOffice documens, EPUB, MOBI, PRC, AZW and FB2 ebooks and more. It’s an HTML reader, document reader and ebook reader all in one, both for reading on-screen, or listening when your eyes hurt, malfunction or are busy elsewhere.
* Open text, PDF, DOC, DOCX, RTF, OpenOffice documents or HTML files for reading aloud.
* Now includes OCR (Optical Character Recognition) for extracting text from PDF files, where normal text extraction does not work.
* Click “Share” or “Send by Email” button/menu item in any app to send text to @Voice Aloud Reader for aloud reading over speakers or a headset.
* When sharing web pages to @Voice, their menus, navigation, ads, other junk are removed, leaving clean text to read or listen.
* In WhatsApp use Export Chat function to send chats to @Voice for listening
* If “Share” is not available, copy text in another app and paste it into @Voice for aloud reading.
* Save articles opened in @Voice to files for later listening. Construct listening lists of many articles for uninterrupted listening one after the other. Order the list as needed, e.g. more important articles first.
* Read eBooks on screen with their original formatting, images shown, turn pages or read continuously. Or put headphones, turn off screen and listen!
* Handles Chinese and Japanese vertical text (right to left mode), or switch it to horizontal mode if preferred.
* Easily add saved Pocket articles to @Voice reading list – in Read List screen, press Menu – Add articles from Pocket, then read on screen or listen being read aloud.
* Record spoken articles to sound files – WAV (uncompressed) or OGG (compressed) formats supported.
* Long-press word and/or select a longer phrase to view dictionaries, translations, Wikipedia, Web search and more.
* Speech correction for TTS, optionally using Regular Expressions (RegEx)
* Easily control speech generator volume, pitch and rate of speech.
* Pause/resume speech as needed with wired or Bluetooth headset buttons, plus click Next/Previous buttons to jump by sentence or to next/previous article on list.
* Auto-recognize the language to use appropriate TTS voice, if available, or set your preferred voices manually with “Select language” menu item.
* Options for additional pause between paragraph, start talking as soon as a new article is loaded or wait for a button press, start/stop talking when wired headset plug is inserted/removed.
* Optional sleep timer to stop speech after a given timeout.
WANT TO BETA TEST NEW RELEASES?
Join @Voice Beta Testing: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.hyperionics.avar”
2. Voice Reader Speech Central
With over 10,000 items sold and user ratings over 4 on all major stores Speech Central is one of the world’s most popular and loved brands in text-to-speech. It was nominated for the best iOS accessible app in 2020 and 2017 on AppleVis, picked for the Best of Windows Store in 2014. Now it is on Android with support for all the latest Android features including the dark mode!
No spyware and maximal privacy – compare permissions of Speech Central to other voice reader apps!
appPicker: “… is a game-changer, and is slowly transforming my life…”
The app implements state of the art features for voice readers:
◦ The best in class support for the web sites / news reading.
– listen to the all web pages – both articles and headlines (first ever) supported
– RSS feeds
– import from any app that can share a link like Chrome or Twitter
– open articles from headline pages
– sync articles with Pocket
◦ The widest support for documents/office and e-book formats
◦ Knowledge and text annotation tools built-in
◦ Export the text with annotations to .docx format
◦ The app is completely free for blind people. It is tested to be accessible by legally blind users.
◦ Functions of audio buttons can be customized for high productivity and accessibility. The widest selection of tools to control the speed and browse the text that is read aloud.
◦ The app can be used with any of languages that have text-to-speech support on Android, and all major languages are supported for the full automatic recognition.
◦ Your data stays truly private, we collect only analytics data with no identifiable reference to the user or imported content.
You can save an hour each day by using the text to speech while commuting, walking, running, doing the housework, etc. You’ll also save eyes for better things while having your battery and data plan last significantly longer. Keeping the screen off grants that you won’t get into the internet addiction and waste your time on unwanted things, and thus it can also help to people with ADHD. As a bonus, even if your internet connection is unstable you won’t notice any interruptions.
The voice reader can be used as an assistive technology and helper for people with visual impairments (eyesight problems) and disabilities like dyslexia.
Supported document types are: PDF (including scanned documents), Microsoft Word (.docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.pptx), OpenOffice/LibreOffice (.odt, .odp), .html, .txt, .rtf, supported ebook formats are .epub, DAISY and .fb2 and emails in .eml format.
Get the app now and enjoy the most convenient text to audio!
– The free version has a daily limitation in the number of articles that you can add to it which is removed by purchasing the Pro add-on.
– Some features are available only on the latest version of Android.
– The add-on license is valid only for the Android platform.
– DRM protected books (e.g. Kindle books) are locked to their respective vendor apps and cannot be imported into the app.”
3. Google Translate
“• Text translation: Translate between 108 languages by typing
• Tap to Translate: Copy text in any app and tap the Google Translate icon to translate (all languages)
• Offline: Translate with no internet connection (59 languages)
• Instant camera translation: Translate text in images instantly by just pointing your camera (94 languages)
• Photos: Take or import photos for higher quality translations (90 languages)
• Conversations: Translate bilingual conversations on the fly (70 languages)
• Handwriting: Draw text characters instead of typing (96 languages)
• Phrasebook: Star and save translated words and phrases for future reference (all languages)
• Cross-device syncing: Login to sync phrasebook between app and desktop
• Transcribe: Continuously translate someone speaking a different language in near real-time (8 languages)
Translations between the following languages are supported:
Afrikaans, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chichewa, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Corsican, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Frisian, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Khmer, Kinyarwanda, Korean, Kurdish (Kurmanji), Kyrgyz, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mongolian, Myanmar (Burmese), Nepali, Norwegian, Odia (Oriya), Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Scots Gaelic, Serbian, Sesotho, Shona, Sindhi, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Tatar, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Turkmen, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uyghur, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh, Xhosa, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zulu
Google Translate may ask for permission to access the following features:
• Microphone for speech translation
• Camera for translating text via the camera
• SMS for translating text messages
• External storage for downloading offline translation data
• Accounts and credentials for signing-in and syncing across devices”
4. Gboard – the Google Keyboard
Glide Typing — Type faster by sliding your finger from letter to letter
Voice typing — Easily dictate text on the go
Handwriting* — Write in cursive and printed letters
Emoji Search* — Find that emoji, faster
GIFs* — Search and share GIFs for the perfect reaction.
Multilingual typing — No more switching between languages manually. Gboard will autocorrect and suggest from any of your enabled languages.
Google Translate — Translate as you type in the keyboard
* Not supported on Android Go devices
Hundreds of language varieties, including:
Afrikaans, Amharic, Arabic, Assamese, Azerbaijani, Bavarian, Bengali, Bhojpuri, Burmese, Cebuano, Chhattisgarhi, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, and others), Chittagonian, Czech, Deccan, Dutch, English, Filipino, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hausa, Hindi, Igbo, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Khmer, Korean, Kurdish, Magahi, Maithili, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Northern Sotho, Odia, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Saraiki, Sindhi, Sinhala, Somali, Southern Sotho, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Tswana, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Xhosa, Yoruba, Zulu, and many more! Visit https://goo.gl/fMQ85U for the full list of languages supported
• Gesture cursor control: Slide your finger across the space bar to move the cursor
• Gesture delete: Slide left from the delete key to quickly delete multiple words
• Make the number row always available (enable in Settings → Preferences → Number Row)
• Symbols hints: Show quick hints on your keys to access symbols with a long press (enable in Settings → Preferences → Long press for symbols)
• One handed mode: On large screen phones, pin keyboard to the left or the right of the screen
• Themes: Choose your own theme, with or without key borders”
5. Legere Reader
“Legere Reader is an accessible reading tool for mobile and tablet devices. With advanced text-to-speech and a highly configurable screen layout, it can be tailored to suit every reading style from completely auditory to completely visual, plus synchronized combination of both.
The visually impaired will benefit from the ability to hear documents read in their favorite voices; students and others with dyslexia will appreciate the synchronized reading capability that integrates text and voice; and everyone who wants to hear or read their documents in their own way will benefit from the configurability of the visual and voice capabilities.
Legere Reader supports reading PDF, DRM-free EPUB and DAISY eBooks and more. It can load files from file sharing apps like DropBox, Box and OneDrive, or directly from your local device. It has direct integration with the Bookshare book-sharing service.
– Listen to documents like it’s music, with play-pause button, gestures or remote control
– Continues reading when you lock the screen
– Change voice and reading speed (50-700 words per minute) on the fly
– Remembers the voice and speech rate used for each document
– Switch between original layout and text-only view for PDF documents
– Synchronized word and line highlighting
– Improve focus with reduced text area and auto-scrolling
– Customizable font including OpenDyslexia font
– Font size up to 80 points for low vision users
– Adjustable margin, line spacing and character spacing
– 3 fully customizable color themes
– Word .doc files converted to and imported as PDF
– Word .docx, RTF, .mobi convert to and imported as ePub
– Text extraction from PDF, Plain text, and HTML files
– Text extraction from DRM-free ePub and DAISY books
– DAISY audiobooks, and audiobooks as zipped MP3 files
– Store and view PDF documents in original layout
– Dropbox, Box and OneDrive or any app which can share supported files
– Bookshare and Gutenberg
– Built-in Web Browser to download files
– Folders for organizing content
– Export full text, highlights, and notes
– Navigation by sentence, paragraph, page, chapter, highlights, bookmarks, 15, 30, and 60 seconds
– Remembers speech and visual location where you stopped
– Bookmarking, text highlighting and note taking
– Full-text search
– Any builtin voice already on the device
– Premium voices from Acapela 24 languages available through in-app purchase
– Languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Czech, Catalan, Polish, Turkish, Greek, Arabic, Romanian, Icelandic and Welsh.
– It is not possible to load DRM-protected books from iBooks, Kindle and Nook.
– Word level highlighting is not supported for builtin voices”
6. Narrator’s Voice – TTS
“Narrator’s Voice app lets you create and share amusing messages using a narrator’s voice of your choice.
With a wide range of languages and reliable, pleasant sounding voices.
Simply speak or type a message, then choose the language, voice and any special effects for the app to use.
The end result is a customized narration of your original message, which you can share as desired.
Videos are one of the hottest projects for Narrator’s Voice, letting the narrator explain or comment on whatever’s happening on the screen. In fact, many people have been using the Narrator’s Voice app to add audio to their YouTube and TikTok videos, giving them a distinct voice that enhances the overall video’s vibe.
Can be equally successful when used with still images, slide shows, e-learning projects, or anything else that could benefit from useful commentary or clarification.
People are sharing it in droves.Millions are using it, and many are thrilled with it.
✅ Convert text to audio file MP3 or video MP4 and share on social networks
✅ Create or open text file, read aloud it, or export/share text as audio/video file.
✅ Your phone will speak what you type.
✅ With many voices with effects in many languages.
✅ Provides expressive and natural sounding voices.
✅ Make funny messages with your friends TIMELINE.
✅ Best text to voice and text to speech (TTS) app
✅ Include pinksheep voice (pink sheep), MLG voice – Daniel UK, CORTANA voice and others…
✅ Recommended by YouTubers [they uses this app]✅ Works offline after save audio
✅ Great for YouTube and TikTok videos
✅ Text to Speech, Read Aloud TTS
✪ BEST text-to-speech TTS ✪”
7. Talk FREE – Text to Voice – Read aloud
It supports importing web pages directly from the browser to listen to them. You can also import text from any other apps.
– Text to voice
– Read web pages
– Play / Pause / Stop
– Export audio as WAV file
– Lots of languages (internet connection required for some)
– Reading news or books
– Helpful for visually impaired people
– Helpful for speech impaired people
– Helpful for people that had wisdom teeth removed
There’s a paid version available WITHOUT ADS here:
NOTE: Your phone must have a Text-to-Speech enginge for Talk to work. If it doesn’t have it you can download it from Google Play. Depending on the TTS engine, some languages that appear in the app may not work.
G+ community: https://plus.google.com/communities/107986392540899459664″