If you are looking for the Best Android Wifi Hotspot App to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 5 Best Android Wifi Hotspot App that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 5 Best Android Wifi Hotspot App, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
5 Best Android Wifi Hotspot App
1. Windows side also need updating from http://pdanet.co/install
2. Original WiFi Hotspot feature remains in the separate FoxFi app if you still need it, just install from Play Store. You can also find previous (4.19) version of PdaNet+ at http://pdanet.co/install/old
3. New location permission required by Android due to WiFi scan API call.
Please be aware that with no root access there are technical limitations of what an app can do. We try our best to offer the “most convenient solution possible” for sharing phone Internet but it may not be an “ideal” or “universal” solution (e.g. a normal WiFi Hotspot). It may not work for particular devices.
=====WiFi Direct mode (new!) ====
PdaNet+ now comes with a completely new “WiFi Direct Hotspot” feature that works on all Android phones 4.1 or later. It allows you to connect computers and tablets to your phone using WiFi BUT it will require you to either install our client app or setup proxy depending on what device you are connecting to the phone. You can activate “WiFi Direct Hotspot” in PdaNet+ then tap the “Help!” button for detail instructions.
*If your Windows computer does not see the hotspot during pairing please do two things: 1. Restart Hotspot on the phone.
2. Click on “Show All WiFi Direct Hotspot”. It will verify if your adapter supports 5Ghz.
====FoxFi/WiFi Hotspot Mode (the old) ====
The original WiFi Hotspot feature remains in the separate FoxFi app if you still need it. It has ceased to function on many newer phone models due to carrier updates. Even when it works, your hotspot usage may still be metered (see plan 2 below). WiFi Direct Hotspot could solve both issues. However the new feature is not meant to support game devices, TVs or TV streaming devices.
USB mode works on all Android phones (except for some ZTE/Alcatel models). It allows connection from Windows or Mac. In addition, there is a “WiFi Share” feature that can further turn Windows into a WiFi Hotspot so that you share PdaNet Internet with other devices.
*If your phone is not recognized by your computer after connecting USB, please see http://pdanet.co/driver
You can use Bluetooth mode to connect Windows. Although WiFi Direct mode is preferred.
=====Do I need this software?=====
The PdaNet software has been around since the first Treo smart phone in 2003. With over 30 million downloads in total, it must be something that everyone needs, right? Well…it really depends on the kind of data plan you have for your phone. There are 4 kinds of data plans from most carriers:
1. Your data plan (limited or unlimited) does not allow you to turn on the mobile hotspot feature on the phone (it prompts you to call your carrier).
2. Your data plan is unlimited and you can turn on mobile hotspot from your phone to use it. But hotspot usage is “metered” against a cap (say 5G/month). After that the speed will be throttled to a crawl. (FoxFi can’t avoid this!)
3. Your data plan is unlimited, and you can turn on mobile hotspot from your phone with unlimited LTE usage and no throttling cap. This plan does NOT exist or not intended. But we have seen loopholes on some phone models to allow it.
4. You data plan is limited and it allows you to turn on mobile hotspot from your phone. The mobile hotspot usage goes under the same data plan limit.
If your plan falls under 1 or 2, you will need to use PdaNet+. If your plan belongs to 3 or 4 then PdaNet+ will not make any difference. If you are unsure what plan you have, it won’t harm to always use PdaNet+.
Free edition of PdaNet+ will have timed usage limit, otherwise it is same as full version.
Sprint and AT&T may not allow you to install our app from Play Store, please install the apk file directly from http://pdanet.co/install or install from the computer side.”
2. Portable Wi-Fi hotspot
**Before running the application configuration is required.
SETTING: Settings->More..->Tethering & portable hotspot->Set up Wi-Fi hotspot
Rename or secure your portable hotspot
You can change the name of your phone’s Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and secure its Wi-Fi network when it’s acting as a portable hotspot.
Go to Settings > Wireless & networks > More > Tethering & portable hotspot.
Make sure Portable Wi-Fi hotspot is checked.
Touch Configure Wi-Fi hotspot.
The Configure Wi-Fi hotspot dialog opens.
Set your name and security options as follows:
Change the Network
TO USE: Just touch Portable Wi-Fi hotspot icon on / off
*Subscribing to smartphone data plan is needed for users of some telecommunication firms.
3. Speedtest by Ookla
Video testing empowers you with a real-time assessment of your network’s current streaming quality. Take a video test to get actionable insights that help you optimize your online video experience.
Explore mobile network coverage maps based on real-world data gathered by the Speedtest app. Visualize many mobile carrier networks’ availability down to the street level, right in the app.
Keep your online connection private and secure with Speedtest VPN™. Use up to 2GB of data over VPN per month for free, or go Premium with unlimited usage for just $4.99 monthly. Speedtest VPN Premium users will also receive no advertisements while their subscription is active.
Millions of people have made Speedtest the #1 tool for testing internet speeds, and it’s trusted daily by professionals throughout the industry:
– Discover your download, upload and ping
– The only internet connection test capable of accurately measuring 5G
– Mobile carrier coverage maps
– Stay private and secure with our free Speedtest VPN
– Take a video test to measure your max resolution, load time, and buffering
– Real-time graphs show connection consistency
– Test with a single connection to simulate downloading a file or multiple connections to understand max speed
– Troubleshoot or verify the speed you were promised
– Track past tests with detailed reporting
– Easily share your results
Do not sell my personal information: https://www.speedtest.net/about/ccpa”
4. “WiFi Passwords, Offline maps & VPN. WiFi Map®”
The largest WiFi hotspot database in the world
WiFi Map® has more than 150 million WiFi hotspots available worldwide and the number is growing daily thanks to our community. With the app, you can connect to WiFi hotspots for free, get actual passwords, and make updates together with millions of WiFi Map users!
Fast and secure VPN for public WiFi networks
Use our built-in VPN for private internet access and to keep your connection secure. Use WiFi Map and the unlimited VPN to securely browse the internet, make and accept calls, text in messengers, and stay online with a single WiFi Map app. Also, you can get around some regional limitations and, for example, get access to your local services.
Detailed offline maps to find the internet everywhere
It’s always difficult to stay without an internet connection when you are traveling or simply out of carrier service. This is where the offline WiFi passwords map will help. Download the map of the whole region with the complete hotspots data to make sure you’re able to connect to the internet.
Benefit from a WiFi Map community and support it
Use a WiFi scanner to look for nearby Wi-Fi networks, speed test them, and connect to the fastest ones. At the same time, you’re contributing to the WiFi Map community by sharing hotspot data and performance details. Thanks to our users you will always get actual information on hotspots around.
Sneak Peek of WiFi Map main features
– Find the internet all over the world
– Access internet for FREE when you connect to WiFi
– Millions of WiFi hotspots available worldwide
– Genuine WiFi passwords and useful tips
– Use map navigation to find the local hotspots
– Apply filters to find out the nearest WiFi around you
– Smart search on the WiFi map
– Add WiFi hotspots around you to the map
– Download offline maps when you travel
– Share WiFis on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter with your friends
– Unlimited secure VPN
– Multiple reliable VPN servers worldwide
How to get connected?
1. Open the WiFi Map app.
2. Find an available WiFi hotspot around you.
3. Connect to the WiFi hotspot using information in the app.
4. Enjoy fast, FREE and reliable internet access!
# How to add a new WiFi hotspot to WiFi Map: https://youtu.be/zNRa4TVxc18
You will get ads free version and download offline region feature in exchange for safely using some of your device’s resources (WiFi and very limited cellular data), and only when you are not using your device. You may turn this off from the settings menu.
Please see our TOS
https://www.wifimap.io/terms and the SDK
https://luminati.io/legal/sdk-privacy for further information.
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wifimap.io/
5. FoxFi (WiFi Tether w/o Root)
“A new WiFi Direct solution (free update) is now added to PdaNet for connecting computers or tablets in addition to USB tether. The legacy WiFi Hotspot solution remains in FoxFi. If the legacy FoxFi feature still works for your phone, it is still the best solution for sharing phone Internet since there is no limit on what kind of devices you can connect.
======(New)WiFi Direct Hotspot=======
This new WiFi Direct feature in PdaNet 5 allows you to connect WiFi mode from computers or tablets. However unlike the old WiFi Hotspot, it will require you to either install PdaNet on the connecting computers/tablets or set up proxy settings. Use this feature if you are no longer able to turn on WiFi Hotspot, or if your WiFi Hotspot usage is being metered when you already have an unlimited data plan.
Android 7.0 (Nougat) or later no longer allows the old WiFi Hotspot mode even for Verizon phones. Please refer to PdaNet instead for alternative solutions.
Due to lockdowns through each phone system update, the old WiFi mode will only be allowed on a short list of compatible devices. As of 11/2016, IN GENERAL:
—Android 7.0 (Nougat) or later no longer allows WiFi mode even for Verizon phones.
—Verizon Samsung phones (S3/4/5/6/7/Edge, Note 2/3/4/5 etc.) , Verizon LG phones (V10, G2/3/4/5 etc.) and Verizon Sony phones (Z2/Z3) are supported by Android versions up to Android 6.0/6.1.
—Verizon HTC phones (M7/8) will only work on Android 4.1 ~ 4.4.
—Verizon Motorola phones will only work on Android 4.3 or below.
—AT&T Samsung phones will only work on Android 4.2 or below.
—Other carriers/phones will only work if they still have Android 4.0 or below.
—Straight Talk phones will only work if it uses Verizon and are compatible with the above.
—For all other phones, use USB mode or Bluetooth mode instead.
*To get around lockdowns on WiFi mode FoxFi may prompt you to install a certificate on your phone, this will cause the Android system to enforce a screen lock and show a security message in notification. For more detail and steps to remove screen lock please visit http://pdanet.co/wifi.
*If you receive a message asking for a “password for credential strorage” this is due to a bug in the Android system. Please see steps to clear this message at http://pdanet.co/wifi
Free edition will turn off after timed usage limit but you can turned it back on, otherwise it is same as full version.”