If you are looking for the Best Blue Light Filter App For Android to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 3 Best Blue Light Filter App For Android that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 3 Best Blue Light Filter App For Android, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
3 Best Blue Light Filter App For Android
1. Twilight: Blue light filter
“Are you having trouble falling asleep? Are your kids hyperactive when playing with the tablet before bed time?
Are you using your smart phone or tablet in the late evening? Twilight may be a solution for you!
Recent research suggests that exposure to blue light before sleep may distort your natural (circadian) rhythm and cause inability to fall asleep.
The cause is the photoreceptor in your eyes, called Melanopsin. This receptor is sensitive to a narrow band of blue light in the 460-480nm range which may suppress Melatonin production – a hormone responsible for your healthy sleep-wake cycles.
In experimental scientific studies it has been shown an average person reading on a tablet or smart phone for a couple of hours before bed time may find their sleep delayed by about an hour. See references below..
The Twilight app makes your device screen adapt to the time of the day. It filters the flux of blue light emitted by your phone or tablet after sunset and protects your eyes with a soft and pleasant red filter. The filter intensity is smoothly adjusted to the sun cycle based on your local sunset and sunrise times.
Get more from Twilight
1) Bed reading: Twilight is more pleasant on the eyes for night reading. Especially as it is able to lower the screen backlight far below the ability of the backligt controls on your screen
2) AMOLED screens: We have tested Twilight on an AMOLED screen for 5 years without any sign of depletion or over-burning. If properly configured Twilight causes less light emission (by enabling dimming) with more equal light distribution (dark areas of the screen such as the status bar get tinted). This may in fact increase your AMOLED screen life time.
Basics on circadian rhythm and the role of melatonin
– location – to find out your current sunset/surise times
– running apps – to stop Twilight in selected apps
– write settings – to set back-light
– network – access smartlight (Philips HUE) to shield you household light from blue
Automation (Tasker or other)
Related scientific research
Amplitude Reduction and Phase Shifts of Melatonin, Cortisol and Other Circadian Rhythms after a Gradual Advance of Sleep and Light Exposure in Humans Derk-Jan Dijk, & Co 2012
Exposure to Room Light before Bedtime Suppresses Melatonin Onset and Shortens Melatonin Duration in Humans Joshua J. Gooley, Kyle Chamberlain, Kurt A. Smith & Co, 2011
Effect of Light on Human Circadian Physiology Jeanne F. Duffy, Charles A. Czeisler 2009
Efficacy of a single sequence of intermittent bright light pulses for delaying circadian phase in humans Claude Gronfier, Kenneth P. Wright, & Co 2009
Intrinsic period and light intensity determine the phase relationship between melatonin and sleep in humans Kenneth P. Wright, Claude Gronfier & Co 2009
The Impact of Sleep Timing and Bright Light Exposure on Attentional Impairment during Night Work Nayantara Santhi & Co 2008
Short-Wavelength Light Sensitivity of Circadian, Pupillary, and Visual Awareness in Humans Lacking an Outer Retina Farhan H. Zaidi & Co, 2007
High sensitivity of the human circadian melatonin rhythm to resetting by short wavelength light. Lockley SW & Co. 2003
Sensitivity of the human circadian pacemaker to nocturnal light: Jamie M Zeitzer, Derk-Jan Dijk & Co 2000″
2. Blue Light Filter – Night Mode
Have trouble in sleeping after long time watching phone screen?
That is due to blue light. Blue light from your phone and tablet screen is the visible light spectrum (380-550nm) for circadian regulation. According to the scientific studies, exposure to blue light imposes serious threats to retinal neurons and inhibits the secretion of melatonin, a hormone that influences circadian rhythms. It is proven that reducing blue light can greatly improve sleep.
Blue light filter is used to reduce blue light by adjusting the screen to natural color. Shifting your screen to night mode can relieve your eyes strain, and your eyes will feel at ease during night reading. Also blue light filter will protect your eyes and help you sleep easily.
● Reduce blue light
● Adjustable filter intensity
● Save power
● Very easy to use
● Built-in screen dimmer
● Eye protector from screen light
Reduce Blue Light
The screen filter can change your screen into natural color, so it can reduce the blue light which will affect your sleep.
Screen Filter Intensity
By sliding the button, you can easily adjust the filter intensity to soften the screen light .
Practice shows it can greatly save power because of reducing screen blue light.
Easy to Use
Handy buttons and auto timer will help you turn on and turn off the app in one second. Very useful app for eye care.
You can adjust your screen brightness accordingly. Get better reading experience.
Eye Protector From Screen Light
Screen shift to night mode to protect your eyes and relieve your eyes in no time.
● Before installing other app, please turn off or pause this app to enable installation.
● When taking screenshots, please turn off or pause this app in case screenshots use the app effect.
Relevant Scientific Studies
Effects of blue lights technology
High Sensitivity of the Human Circadian Melatonin Rhythm to Resetting by Short Wavelength Light
Steven W. Lockley, George C. Brainard, Charles A. Czeisler, 2003
How exposure to blue light affects your brain and body
Nature Neuroscience; Harvard Health Publications; ACS, Sleep Med Rev, American Macular Degeneration Foundation; European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons; JAMA Neurology
AMBER LENSES TO BLOCK BLUE LIGHT AND IMPROVE SLEEP: A RANDOMIZED TRIAL
Chronobiology International, 26(8): 1602–1612, (2009)
Anti Glare Screen Filter
Still looking for anti glare screen filter? This is an useful anti glare screen filter you need to try. Care your eyes with our anti glare screen filter.”
3. Night Owl – Screen Dimmer & Night Mode
Night Owl filters out blue light and reduces the brightness of your phone’s screen more than you can achieve with Android settings, which helps you avoid eye strain, insomnia (inability to sleep), and headaches when staring at your phone in the dark.
• Dim the entire screen, notification icons, and notification drawer
• Easily adjust the filter intensity in the app or from the notification.
• Filter the blue light or customize the tint color.
• Schedule the app to start and stop automatically via timer or sun scheduler.
• Shake the device to stop the app. (optional)
• Disable auto-brightness and lower device brightness to minimum automatically when the app starts. (optional)
• Use quick setting tiles to start or stop the app quickly.
Night Owl uses the “Display over other apps” feature to put a filter on the screen to make it darker than usual and/or change its color.
Beta feature: Night Owl uses Android’s accessibility feature to display a tinted overlay over the screen (including notification and lock screen) to make it darker than usual and/or change its color. Night owl does not read your screen content and does not collect any data through the Accessibility service. You need to enable Night Owl Accessibility to use the app.”