If you are looking for the Best Chess iPhone App to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 4 Best Chess iPhone App that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 4 Best Chess iPhone App, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
4 Best Chess iPhone App
1. Chess – Play & Learn
“Play chess online with millions of players around the world! Enjoy free unlimited games and improve your chess rating with 50,000+ tactics puzzles, interactive lessons and videos, and a powerful computer opponent. Unlock your inner chess master today!
PLAY CHESS ONLINE
– Challenge your friends and chat with opponents
– Play real-time blitz or daily correspondence chess
– Solve more than 65,000 puzzles
– Adjusts to your skill level to help you improve
– Thousands of videos and interactive lessons from top Grandmasters
– Interactive tutorials with helpful tips and highlights
– Adjust the computer’s strength
– Analyze your game to learn what went wrong
… AND MORE
– Daily articles by top authors and coaches like IM Jeremy Silman
– Opening explorer helps you learn and play the right openings
– Make friends & send messages
– 20+ gorgeous themes for boards, pieces, and backgrounds
– Detailed performance stats and ratings
– Active community forum
Also available in the app:
More Puzzles, Lessons and Tournaments! No ads.
1 month: $4.99 USD
1 year: $29.99 USD
Full access to Tactics, Tournaments, and more! No ads.
1 month: $6.99 USD
1 year: $49.99 USD
Unlimited access to all features for playing, training and learning. No ads.
1 month: $14.99 USD
1 year: $99.99 USD
** TERMS & DETAILS **
Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase.
Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
Account will be charged the same amount for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period.
You can manage your subscription and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings after purchase.
Any unused portion of a Free Trial, if offered, is forfeited when you buy a subscription.
* Prices may vary by location.
This app is built by players and enthusiasts who really love chess!
2. Chess: Learn and play chess!
“Mastersoft Chess will take you all the way from Novice to Grandmaster. Designed by chess champions to play like a human opponent. Features 100 graded levels, stunning high resolution sets by renowned Chess designers, coaching mode, famous chess games that you can analyse, and puzzles that improve your ability.
It has one of the World’s best Desktop PC chess engines crammed inside. The Mastersoft Chess engine finished 4th in the World Microcomputer Chess Championships. It is unique and not available in any other chess game.
Easy to play but difficult to beat, this is pick up and play chess at its best!
“I bought all chess applications for iPhone and this one is probably better than many $7-9 applications. Check TEST ALL. 66 chess applications at only ONE page in the World …”
“It truly is close to flawless and is by far the best mobile Chess game I have played on any platform.”
– PDA 247.
HP Choice “Strategy Game of the Year”
Smartphone Magazine runner up.
Various levels, board styles and breathtaking Retina Display chess sets combine with an outstanding World beating chess engine to offer you a great playing experience and an ever increasing challenge.
Whether you’re just starting out or else a seasoned pro, Mastersoft Chess has something for you!
Built in coach to monitor your progress
Training mode with coach.
It checks that your moves are allowed.
Simple intuitive uncluttered interface that lets you concentrate on your game.
Chess puzzles for you to solve and improve your game.
Annotated famous games (pro).
100 levels of strength to choose from.
Mastersoft Chess will automatically adjust to your ability.
A unique engine unlike any other – plays interesting and sometimes quite aggressive chess.
Designed to play like a human opponent – right up to Grandmaster level!
Huge opening Book
100% Full chess rules including enpassant, castling etc.
Thought analysis (main line, depth and score).
Setup position (including castling rights, enpassant and side to move).
Move forward / backward to any point in the current game.
Includes Standard chess book sets in addition to the realistic ones.
Database mode with famous games and analysis.
Timed mode with blitz and other options.
Huge collection of stunning high resolution chess sets in both 2D and 3D. Makes the most of Retina Display!
2D and 3D (pro) modes.
Boards constructed from the real thing – Oak, Ash, Marble, Slate and more!
Realistic sound effects.
Great for novices but will grow with you and still offer a challenge at Championship level.
About our auto-renewal subscriptions:
All subscriptions are related to our Chess Pro service. See “What’s Included” for more details. Service prices depend on the length of service purchased as shown on the purchase buttons. You can currently subscribe for 1 month. Payment will be charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase. Your subscription will be automatically renewed unless automatic renewal is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period and the cost of renewal will be shown. You can manage your subscriptions, and auto-renewal can be turned off if you go to your account settings after purchase.
End User License Agreement (“Agreement”) (EULA)
3. iGeeksBlog – Tech News & Tips
Enjoy simplified, reliable how-tos, troubleshooting guides, top app, and product recommendations, unbiased reviews, and more to help you make the most of your Apple Devices!
FREE & FRESH DAILY ARTICLES written by tech experts and Apple aficionados.
EXPERT BUYING GUIDES for all the Apple accessories and gadgets you need.
UNBIASED REVIEWS of the best products, apps, and services that are worth your while.
UP-TO-DATE SOLUTIONS to all your iOS/iPadOS/macOS/watchOS/tvOS problems.
QUICKLY FIND what you need with a powerful search tool.
BITES allows you to access tips, tricks, and news in short-form video format called Bites. Moreover, this feature is app-exclusive!
WIDGET support accessing the latest information right from the Home Screen. Widget is available in 3 different sizes: Small, Medium, and Large.
SECURE experience with Sign-in with Apple.
CLEAN & MINIMALIST design to help you focus on the content that matters most to you.
PUSH NOTIFICATIONS to never miss a slice of everything Apple.
RATE ARTICLE to express your opinion using an emoji based on your experience.
DARK MODE allows you to seamlessly switch between light, dark, and device setting modes.
CUSTOMIZABLE TEXT SIZE to adjust fonts as per your comfort.
SAVE your favorite articles to read later anytime, anywhere.
iGeeksBlog has helped over 345 million+ people use their Apple devices efficiently through their website and other digital presences over the past 10+ years. We have been featured on Digital Trends, Firstpost.com, Dailymail.co.uk, USAToday.com, and many more.”
4. Stockfish Chess
* Free, but much stronger than most commercial iPhone chess apps!
* Plays aggressive and dynamic chess, and is not afraid of sacrificing material for initiative or attacking chances.
* Adjustable playing strength.
* Choose between several styles of play: “Passive”, “Solid”, “Active”, “Aggressive” or “Suicidal”.
* Big, deep and varied opening book. Choose between three levels of book variety.
* Displays book moves and engine analysis, including search depth, evaluations and main lines.
* Allows you to easily set up board positions.
* Able to think during the opponent’s time, for maximum playing strength (disabled by default, in order to save battery life).
* Supports saving and loading games to PGN files, sending games by e-mail, and transferring PGN files between your device and your computer.
* Play against the machine, or play both sides, with or without book moves and engine analysis displayed on the screen.
* Choose from nine piece sets and eight color schemes.
* Complete source code available under the GNU General Public License.”