If you are looking for the Best Custom Notification App For Android to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 7 Best Custom Notification App For Android that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 7 Best Custom Notification App For Android, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
7 Best Custom Notification App For Android
1. Heads-up Notifications
“With Heads-up, any device can get the heads-up notifications introduced in the Android 5.0 “Lollipop”, no root required. But according to Addictivetips, this app is much more than just a backport. And according to the users, this app is way better than the original!
Heads-up displays the latest notification as a floating popup, complete with full text and quick actions (4.1+).
Works on everything running Android 3.1 and newer.
You’re in control: Heads-up has five pages of customization, so you’ll get notified your way.
Pocket detection – when you get a message, Heads-up turns the screen on if you take your phone out of the pocket!
Privacy on the lock screen (and in general – Heads-up doesn’t even have internet permission, so it can’t send your private data anywhere)
Heads-up is not a lockscreen app, so don’t expect it behave like the Lollipop lockscreen.
Heads-up notifications is available in over 20 languages, thanks to an awesome team of translators. As this app isn’t supported anymore, new translations will not make it into Heads-up.
If no popups appear, please make sure that Heads-up shows up in the list of running services. If it doesn’t, make sure you have enabled the service, and then reboot the phone.
Huawei, XIAOMI and MIUI users: please allow Heads-up to display popups under Settings > Apps > Downloaded > Heads-up. It might also be necessary to reset the app data/settings.
This app uses the Device Administrator permission. It is used to work around a bug where the screen doesn’t turn off on certain devices, and you should not grant the device admin permission unless you are affected by this bug. If you find that the uninstall button is disabled, this is because you have granted this permission. To revoke this permission so you can uninstall the app, go to System Settings > Security > Device administrators > Heads-up, and tap Disable.
On very old devices (running Android 4.2 and older), this app uses Accessibility services in order to read your notifications. If you have other accessibility services running, they might block Heads-up from receiving your notifications. Please try to disable them if Heads-up doesn’t work.
Heads-up is open-source, licensed under GPL!
That means you can make your own version of Heads-up, as long as the resulting app also is open-source.
I don’t have time to work on this app anymore, and don’t expect answers to questions about the app. Sorry :(”
2. Material Notification Shade
Brings the features from Android Oreo to your notification center and adds a ton of customization on top so you can make your device stand out.
Replacement for your stock notification panel. The app uses gesture detection to provide you with a custom quick settings menu when you swipe down to reveal your notifications.
• Stock themes: Nougat and Oreo based themes.
• Full color customization: Take the base layout and color all the elements to your taste.
• Powerful notifications: Get it, read it, snooze or dismiss.
• Quick reply: Reply to your messages as soon as you see them. For all Android 5.0+ devices.
• Auto bundled: Tired of that one app that spams you notifications? Now they’re all grouped together, for easy control.
• Notification card themes: Android 8.0 Oreo inspired.
– Light: your ordinary notifications
– Colored: uses the notification’s color as the card background. Only applies the background if the color isn’t dark for contrast purposes.
– Dark: blend all your notifications with a pure black background (great on AMOLED screens).
Quick settings panel
– Choose a different color for the background or foreground (icons) of the quick settings panel.
– Change brightness slider color.
– Choose your own profile picture to be displayed in the shade.
– (Pro) Change quick settings grid layout (ie. number of columns and rows).
Root is optional
Since the app doesn’t actually change any parts of your system it has limited power in the quick settings area (cannot toggle mobile data, location services, etc so it opens the settings page for you). You can grant it root access though to control these settings.
Experience custom notifications panel on your device, easily and customizable.
This app uses Accessibility services.
Personalize your device and enjoy it every second you use it!”
3. APUS Message Center: sms app
“APUS Message Center is one of unified messenger app for android. It helps unify and manage all messages from SMS, WhatsApp, Gmail and 3rd party apps. It includes message management, notification mamagement, contact manager, dialer and call log. It will completely bring you a fuss-free experience.
You can not only manage all kinds of messages (SMS, WhatsApp, Gmail, Yahoo mail, and 3rd party apps), but also find your contacts easily and make a phone call or view your call log in the new APUS Message Center. You only need this one application to grasp all the necessary functions.
If you are always jumping between SMS, WhatsAppp, Facebook Messenger, etc. Please try APUS Message Center right now! APUS Message Center brings you a more intelligent, easier and smarter experience.
▷Message Management (Support Dual SIM)
APUS Message Center provides not only text service such as SMS, WhatsApp, Facebook and instant messages but also email apps such as Gmail. APUS Message Center fully supports dual SIM devices for SMS, so you won’t miss any important messages. And it is also easy to search for contacts and message texts from dual SIM card.
In APUS Message Center, you can find one contact’s multiple social information and connect with them by dragging to the app you want. Eg. SMS, Dialer, Line, WeChat, WhatsApp, Telegram, Viber, etc.
APUS Message Center also provides notification manager.It will clean your unimprortant notifications from your notification bar and help you get rid of messy notifications.
After you check a missed call or chatting with someone, you can directly make a phone call and view your call log in APUS Message Center.
Tired for your orderless notification bar? Try APUS Message Center now, you can check any notification (Gmail, WeChat, WhatsApp, Skype, Facebook messenger, instant messaging, etc ) you want by using APUS Message Center. It will always organize your important messages so that you can read more simply and conveniently find all notifications at one stop any time.
When there is a new message from SMS or WhatsApp, a message bubble will pop up to remind you to view the notification. Then you can read and reply messages of SMS and WhatsApp from pop-up notification bubble, without exiting the current app, and quick reply the message directly.
▷Regular Reminder for Messages
Notification bar will push so many notifications everyday, what if you miss some important messages? Don’t worry, APUS Message Center always reminds you about the messages from these app: Messages, Call, WeChat, Gmail, WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, Twitter, Snapchat, Skype, Tinder and so on.
You’ll never miss important calls or unread messages (SMS, Gmail, Yahoo mail, social media apps notification)!
Within just one second, you can find notifications, Messages, SMS, Contacts, Calls, email (such as Yahoo mail and Gmail) without fuss by entering keywords. All messages and contacts are collected in one app.
APUS Message Center is an intelligent, simple, easy and fast messenger and message management tool for android, comes with collecting all messages, such as SMS and 3rd party apps messages. You can enjoy contact manager, phone calling, regular notifications, dual sim support, quick reply, group messages.
The conversation apps currently supported by APUS Message Center include but not limited: WhatsApp, Hike, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Wechat, QQ, Skype, LinkedIn, Imo, Kakao, VK, Tinder, Yandex mail, Hangouts and more.
– Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/APUSGROUP
– Twitter: https://twitter.com/apusgroup
– Mail: email@example.com
– Official website: http://www.apusapps.com”
4. notin – notes in notification
** Google Play’s Best Apps of 2017 Winner**
With notin, never forget the little things anymore. It’s an easy way to save notes or reminders as a notification.
notin helps you in reminding things you need to do, random numbers you do not want to save in your contacts and many more through the help of Notifications. The reminder doesn’t pop-up or rings, it just sits there and still does it’s job most efficiently.
• Save what you need, fast
• Be constantly reminded
• Beautifully designed
• Easy to use interface
• No unnecessary or complex features
== Notin Premium ==
Contribute to the notin development! We started out with the aim to provide the most simple and straightforward app to get your notes into notifications, without ANY ads ( because who likes ads😒). Now we’re bringing you an option to treat us some coffee while we work on the most requested features. As part of first premium release you’ll get:
• Sticky notin
Notifications shall persist when sticky mode is turned on. ‘Clear all’ button won’t be able to remove your notins. They won’t leave your side unless you command.
• Undying notin
‘Power off’ and ‘Reboot’ won’t have enough power to remove your notins. Your notins shall revive every time you turn on your device.”
Supports Whatsapp, FB Messenger and other messengers.
· Autosave new messages
· Autosave Status
Read messages privately.
Don’t miss anything from now on – read all messages.
Read privately, without leaving “read mark” on messengers.
Easy to read.
Easy to manage.
– About required permissions:
• READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Read media files mentioned on notifications
• WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE : Save media files received on notifications”
“Dynamic Notifications allows you to receive all of your notifications even when your screen is off. When you receive a new email/text message, the display will discreetly light up to let you know. You don’t need to unlock the device. If you want to, the app even shows you a short preview of the message or information about the caller. This is so much better than just a pulsing notification LED, because it tells you immediately everything you want to know about the notification. With DynamicNotifications, you are always up to date!
* Notifications don’t light up when your phone is in your pocket, purse, or face down to avoid accidental unlocks
* Select which app-notifications you’d like to receive via DynamicNotifications
* Change the appearance of the app (custom foreground/background color/image, show the date near the clock, change the main notification border style, and more)
* “Custom timeout”: Select for how long DynamicNotifications should be shown (Premium feature)
* “Breathing notifications”: Let not yet dismissed notifications reappear after custom intervals (Premium feature)
* “Night mode”: Don’t show notifications at night (Premium feature)
* “Hide additional details”: Hide additional notification details (e.g. SMS text, sender) (Premium feature)
* “Use as lockscreen”: Use the app as a replacement for your stock lockscreen (Premium feature)
* “Auto-wake”: Automatically turn on the screen when you pull the device out of your pocket or pick it up from lying face-down (!) on a table (Premium feature)
* “Custom brightness”: Select how bright the DynamicNotifications screen should be (Premium feature)
* “Edit swipe actions”: Choose the action (e.g. unlock, dismiss, launch camera/custom app) for each swipe direction (Premium feature)
– Swipe right to see more details about the notification
– Swipe left to unlock the device (respects your unlock-security settings)
– Swipe up or down to dismiss the notification
– How can I make sure the app is working correctly?
Launch the app and follow the setup steps. Then, switch off your phone’s screen and send an email to yourself from your PC. After a few seconds, the notification screen should light up!
– The screen sometimes turns on to the lockscreen, even if my phone is in my pocket
Please go to your phone’s system settings –> “Security” –> “Device administrators” and tick the checkbox next to “DynamicNotifications”. This will *only* allow the app to lock your screen, nothing else!
– When I lock my screen, nothing happens!
The app isn’t a lockscreen replacement. It respects your security settings (PIN/Pattern lock) and only appears if you actually receive a new notification while the screen is turned off
– Will the app become available for Android 2.x, 3.x, 4.x?
The app is now compatible with Android >=4.0. If you’re running Android 4.3, it will make use of the new “NotificationListenerService”-feature introduced in Android 4.3.
– Why can’t I uninstall the app?
Please go to your system settings, select “Security”, “Device Administrators” and uncheck the DynamicNotifications-entry. You will then be able to uninstall the app.
– My phone starts talking to me when I enable the app?!
This is a known Samsung-bug; Please go your system settings, select “Apps” –> “All” –> Samsung TTS engine –> Disable. If this isn’t working, go to your system settings, “Accessibility”, “Talkback” (make sure it’s disabled), “Settings”, and *uncheck* all options you see here.
Please let me know if there’s something that doesn’t work for you before leaving a review!
App formerly known as “ActiveNotifications”. This app uses the Device Administrator permission.”
7. Glimpse Notifications
“Tired of having to press the power button to see new notifications?
Ex-iPhone user and cannot believe your Android doesn’t offer such a basic function?
Your new phone doesn’t have LED notification anymore?
Want to pull your phone out of your bag or pocket and immediately have it enabled?
Like to get repeated reminders for pending notifications?
Then this app is for you!
• Keeps using the secure system lock screen
• Control how long the lock screen is shown
• Choose which apps whose notifications should turn on the screen
• Quiet Times to prevent the screen from turning on at a bad time
• Supports System Do Not Disturb (DnD) modes
• Extensive pocket mode to prevent the screen from turning on in your pocket
• Double-tap to lock on the lock screen (only < Oreo)
• Recurring notifications
• Motion detection notices when you picket up the phone to check a new notification
• App is as energy efficient as possible
• This is a private pet project – so it’s free! No data is being collected!
Caschys Blog (German): http://stadt-bremerhaven.de/app-tipp-glimpse-notifications/
XDA Development Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-glimpse-notifications-t3090575
FINGERPRINT SENSORS AND SMARTLOCKS
Depending on your configuration, this app may need the Device Administrator permission.
To implement several (optional) features, Glimpse Notifications may need to turn off the screen. By default no special permissions are needed for this. To improve security or for a better user experience you may give the app device administrator or accessibility service permissions.
PROBLEMS ON SOME DEVICES
Android devices are quite diverse and not all functions work equally well everywhere. The FAQ (English) contains a lot of hints how to configure this app for devices by Sasmung, Huawei, Xiaomi, OnePlus, …
HUAWEI, Xiaomi (MIUI)
Glimpse Notifications only shows the lock screen, it doesn’t render the notifications. To see notifications from, for instance, your texting app, your need to open system settings and allow the texting app to show notifications on the lock screen.
SAMSUNG EDGE LIGHTING
To avoid conflicts, it is recommended to disable Edge lighting or at least remove Glimpse Notifications from Edge lighting.
• BIND_NOTIFICATION_LISTENER_SERVICE: Core permission to have the app being informed about new notifications.
• WAKE_LOCK: needed to turn on the screen
• BIND_DEVICE_ADMIN: to close and lock the screen
• BIND_ACCESSIBILITY_SERVICE: can be given to close the screen with perfect user experience (only Android 9+)
• READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: to determine the duration of custom notification sounds.
• SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW: implement double-tap to lock (only until Android 7)
• VIBRATE: recurring notifications can be indicated using a vibration pattern
EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY
Nullgrad Apps cannot be held responsible for damages happening by using this app. This includes, but is not limited to, notifications being missed or misinterpreted due some function of Glimpse Notifications.”