If you are looking for the Best Free Etymology App For iPhone to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 7 Best Free Etymology App For iPhone that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 7 Best Free Etymology App For iPhone, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
7 Best Free Etymology App For iPhone
“The only Dictionary and Thesaurus with every word you search for. Plus Word of the Day, free offline dictionary access, and millions of definitions and synonyms from top sources, including:
The American Heritage Dictionary
Plus FREE access to:
English Offline Dictionary
English Offline Thesaurus with synonyms and more
English Idioms and Slang Dictionary
Translations of English into 40+ languages
Dozens of other translation options
+ Much more! The Free Dictionary is like getting 100+ apps in one easy-to-use interface.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the free reference category in 111 countries 2011–2018. (Source: https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/379450383/app-ranking/#device=ipad&type=best-ranks)
Here’s what you can do with The Free Dictionary app:
* Find every word you search for.
Clear, accurate definitions from top dictionaries—online and offline.
* Find synonyms fast.
Free Thesaurus with simple interface makes it easy to find the perfect word. Browse synonyms, antonyms, and related words.
* Learn something new every day.
Word of the Day
Idiom of the Day
+ Other daily content
* Build your vocabulary.
Don’t just look up words—learn how to use them!
The perfect dictionary app for word lovers and learners of all levels.
* Explore topics in-depth.
Multiple specialty dictionaries and encyclopedias:
Idioms and Slang dictionary
Acronyms and Abbreviations
* Play word games.
Spelling Bee, Hangman, and more.
* See idioms in action.
Watch idioms videos inside the app! Featuring animations of words and phrases from the idioms and slang dictionary.
* Access dictionaries in 13 other languages.
Spanish dictionary and thesaurus
French dictionary and thesaurus
German dictionary and thesaurus
+ Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, and more!
* Translate English into Spanish, French, and 40+ languages.
Or translate other languages into English. Access dozens of other translation options.
* Access dictionaries and encyclopedias from these top publishers with just one search:
Cambridge University Press
Columbia University Press
Here’s why The Free Dictionary is the most user-friendly dictionary app:
* Instantly look up words in apps or webpages! Just highlight the word you want to look up, tap “Share,” then tap “More” in the bottom menu and turn on the “Define” option. You will then see a “Define” icon in the menu. Tap it to see the definition of the highlighted word!
* Voice search. Look up a word just by saying it.
* Advanced Search options.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page. Just highlight and tap “Definition.”
* Save bookmarks with one tap and sync them to all your devices.
* Customize your homepage: Move, add, or remove articles, games, even local weather.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Adjust font size.
* Share your favorite words via social networks, email, or text.
* Earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary’s partnership with the World Food Program—just by using the app!
This is not a trial version—you get everything free and forever. Additional offline dictionaries in other languages are available in the Pro version.
Seem too good to be true?
The Free Dictionary app has been downloaded tens of millions times across multiple platforms, with top ratings after hundreds of thousands of reviews.
Read reviews from real users to see why they say The Free Dictionary is the best dictionary app they’ve ever used.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).”
2. English etymology and origins
With more than 65600 entries from common words to slang, archaic words and phrases and foreign words, loanwords, this is the most authoritative and comprehensive dictionary of English etymology.
It is an important etymological resource for linguistic experts, it is also a useful reference for anyone who is interested in the development of English language.
– Over 65600 English words
– Entries are divided into topics
– Detailed etymology and origin
– Detailed meaning
– Synonyms and antonyms
– Alternative forms
– 42 topics
– Words derived from Ancient Greek
– Words derived from Anglo-Norman
– Words derived from Arabic
– Words derived from Chinese
– Words derived from Japanese
– Words derived from Hebrew
– Words derived from Latin
– Words derived from Old English
– Words derived from Middle English
– Words derived from Old French
– Words derived from Proto-Indo-European
■ other features:
– search feature
– bookmark feature
– built-in dictionary
– cross reference
■ If you want to contact us, please use the feedback feature in the settings”
3. Etymological Dictionary
The classic dictionary contains most of the more common words, plus slang, archaic words and phrases, and common foreign words. Roots are identified, cross-references to words with similar roots are listed and colloquial usages and alternate spellings are given.
In each entry, roots in Anglo-Saxon, Old Norse, Greek or Latin, Old and modern French, Anglo-Indian, German, African, Spanish, etc., are identified; in hundreds of cases, especially odd or amusing listings, earliest known usage is mentioned and sense is indicated in quotations from Dickens, Shakespeare, Chaucer, “Piers Plowman,” Defoe, O. Henry, Spenser, Byron, Kipling, and so on, and from contemporary newspapers, translations of the Bible, and dozens of foreign-language authors.
● Unique features:
– You can create a list and add a new word into that list
– You can write note for each entry
– Over 100 topics
– Discover words in the same topic
● Other features
– Save an entry
– Search an entry
– Words of the day
– Advanced search
● If you want to give feedback or suggest a new feature, please send us an email. We love getting feedback from users.”
4. Etymology Dictionary Offline
“Etimology the study of the origin of words and the way in which their meanings have changed throughout history. An etymological dictionary discusses the etymology of the words listed. Often, large dictionaries, such as the Oxford English Dictionary will contain some etymological information, without aspiring to focus on etymology. Etymological dictionaries are the product of research in historical linguistics. This Etymological dictionary app contains tens of thousands of words and their origin. All words are explained concisely and clearly in english to be understood by the reader.
# FEATURES IN THIS APPLICATION #
1. Full Offline, all data is stored offline and no internet connection is needed
2. There are tens of thousands of words and terms with their origin
3. Search (Search) Terms or words
4. Bookmark favorite terms or words
5. Quiz interesting to practice understanding of the words
6. You can add terms that don’t yet exist in this application
7. 12 Choice of attractive color themes
Hopefully this Etimology Dictionary application can be useful for your learning. Don’t forget we are waiting for valuable feedback for the development of this application. Thank you.”
• Visual map of word origins
• Connections between related words (e.g. acrobat and acronym)
• Etymology in full written form
• Definition, transliterations, and audio pronunciations
I would love to hear your feedback on how to improve the app, so please let me know if there are any issues or what features you want next!
Ever wonder if the words album and albino are related? They are! Download the app and you’ll find out how.
6. Etymonline English Dictionary
• From etymonline.com, the internet’s top choice for quick, reliable, comprehensive yet comprehensible English word origins
• Instantaneous search with spelling suggestions works fast on your iPhones
• Offline Dictionary – find out word origins anytime, anywhere (Premium only)
• Universal app – works on your iPhones and iPads
• Related Words – easily access words that share the same origin/root. For example, you can check out all the words with root –logy, such as agriology, anthropology, biology, cardiology, choreology, Christology, chronology, cosmology, etc.
Get even more with ETYMONLINE PREMIUM:
• No Ads – Enjoy a calm, ad-free reading environment
• Offline dictionary – Search and view etymology without the need of an internet connection
7. Merriam-Webster Dictionary
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions whether or not you’re connected.
* Universal App
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Additional resources available with in-app purchases
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Integrated Thesaurus: synonyms & antonyms are included with the dictionary
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, find watch-sized definitions with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
Fully featured and absolutely free, this app is supported by ads. You can remove ads for $2.99 per year with an in-app purchase charged to your iTunes account or $5.99 per year with additional resources. Prices vary by location. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period. You can manage your subscription in your account settings.