If you are looking for the Best Free Food Log Apps For iPhone to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 7 Best Free Food Log Apps For iPhone that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 7 Best Free Food Log Apps For iPhone, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
7 Best Free Food Log Apps For iPhone
1. Ate Food Journal – Daily Diary
Ate Food Journal promotes mindfulness, positive self-talk, and is easy-to-use.
Only 3 taps to log a meal. Try it today!
Ate Food Journal is not about crash diets or restrictive living by calorie counting. It’s about building a sustainable and healthy lifestyle. A better version of one’s self, one small habit at a time. One that is easily maintained and enjoyed in the long run.
Ate increases intuitiveness to help you find food freedom!
Ate makes it easy to:
– Quickly capture meals using photos.
– Reflect on and record the reason for eating.
– Quickly glance at the most recent meal, using Widgets.
– Build sustainable healthy behaviors for lasting change.
– Experiment with new habits, to see what works best.
– Look back on previous eating experiments, to see how it felt.
– Automatically track fasting (IF 16/8).
– Share the journey with friends or a coach.
– Share the day on Social media, if desired.
– Export stats and entries for the past 7-days as a beautiful PDF.
– Share Timeline/Profile via the web (read-only).
– Customize Q&As under meal details for more personalized tracking.
– Use giant Emojis to answer self-written questions for easy selection and fun.
Ate also enables logging and reflecting on other areas of life:
– Record Beverages (Water, etc.), Movement, Emotions, and daily Notes.
– Log Measurements (Body Weight, Blood Pressure, Blood Sugar Levels, or Cholesterol)
– Sync it with Apple Health (Water, Movement, and Measurements)
Mindless eating is a thing of the past with Ate!
Start food journaling today with the #1 Mindful Photo Food Journal — Ate!
Ate is a subscription based app with a 7-day FREE trial. See subscription details below.
So why we built Ate?
With all the distractions and stress in our lives, it’s easy to eat mindlessly. Often it’s hard to remember what and why we ate.
Mindless eating has an impact on health — physical, mental, and emotional.
Diets and other quick fixes don’t work in the long run. Sometimes they even cause more stress and frustration.
Ate was built with this in mind. It’s a judgement-free mindful diary that is thoughtfully designed to help increase self-awareness of eating habits, behaviors, and feelings.
Ate is an easy to use food journal built around positive reinforcement. It fits easily into life and is a joy to use. Ate reveals existing healthy behaviors and shows how to turn them into healthy habits. Ate also provides guidance on how to turn unhealthy habits into healthy ones.
Ate worked with health professionals around the world and built this app on journaling techniques that have been proven over decades.
Ate does not run ads.
Ate does not share personal data with others, ever.
Ate respects privacy, as a top priority.
Ate is a subscription app that comes with a 7-day FREE trial.
Sign up for monthly or yearly auto-renewing plans which will start at the end of the FREE trial period. The subscription gives you full, unlimited access to the app- no hidden fees, gated features, or ads. It enables Ate to continuously provide new features and updates, while maintaining a private and secure environment for you to journal in.
Subscription processing is handled by Apple. Your credit card will be charged through your Apple App Store account when you confirm your purchase. Subscription renews automatically at the same price unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription term. You can manage subscriptions in Account Settings in the Apple App Store after purchase. Refunds will not be provided for any unused portion of the subscription term.
2. Calorie Counter – MyNetDiary
“Are you looking for a calorie counter, food log, macros tracker, or a comprehensive and effective diet plan? Meet MyNetDiary – sleek, smart, simple. It’s the most personal weight-loss, diet, and nutrition assistant. Get fit and stay healthy with MyNetDiary!
Love this app! The best out of many food tracking apps that I have tried over the years. Love that it is free! The breakdown of the meal and daily nutrition is very informative. Try it you will love it!
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS APP
Best app for tracking food, exercise! Consistently losing weight! I love how it shows you if you’re on target for your goal. Great layout, great look, easy to use!!! I highly recommend this app if you’re looking to be a healthier you!!!
Fast, intuitive, user friendly
I have tried other calorie tracking programs over the years and this app is by far the best I’ve come across. I highly recommend it. The free version is very good and I am now enjoying the extra functions through a paid subscription.
Ranked #1 in Best Calorie Counter Apps of 2022 by Forbes Health, ahead of all other diet apps.
Selected by Today’s Dietitian Magazine for its Popular Weight Loss Apps list alongside WW and Noom.
Rated #1 by the American Journal of Preventive Medicine. The best all-around healthy lifestyle app. The New York Times calls it “simpler… quicker… also, it looks nicer” compared to similar apps.
Unlike other diet apps, MyNetDiary is simple, straightforward, includes generous free features, and has no ads. The free version is totally sufficient for successful weight loss.
MyNetDiary does not force anything on you. You can choose a diet, follow gentle tips prepared by our registered dietitians, or turn them off to enjoy MyNetDiary as simply the best calorie counter app in the world.
MyNetDiary has the largest verified food database with over 1.2 million items! Pro Tip: Diet apps that boast tens of millions of food items are actually saying that much of their databases are duplicated and out-of-date items.
• Active members lose an average of 1.4 lbs. each week
• Over 14 million members – masses who switched from other apps
A few of the free version features:
• Robust foods mega-database validated and updated daily with restaurants, grocery stores, special diets, and ethnic foods
• Lighting-fast food entry with barcode scanner and instant search, taking only seconds to log your foods
• Exercise tracking
• Daily coaching messages and tips
• Fully customizable dashboard
• iOS Health – automatically import/export steps, workouts, foods, nutrients, water, and more.
• Snazzy water tracker
• Gentle meal and weigh-in reminders
• Modern, full-featured app for Apple Watch
• Shopping List and Grocery Check for wiser, healthier shopping
• Diet/nutrition articles and blog libraries, how-to videos
If you need more support, MyNetDiary Premium provides all the guidance and features you may need. At your fingertips, you’ll find:
• Premium Diets, 500+ full-flavored Premium Recipes and Menus by RDs, including low-carb, keto, high-protein, Mediterranean, vegetarian, and more – with diet planners, guides, and feedback
• Web recipe import tool – easily load your favorite recipes and calculate complete nutritional information
• Macros planning and cycling
• Robust integrations with fitness trackers – Fitbit, Garmin, and Withings
• Planning and tracking up to 51 nutrients, including omegas
• Interactive reports, charts, and analysis to improve your diet
The subscription period will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period. To turn this function off, turn off auto-renew in your iTunes account. Renewal payments will differ depending on subscription and pricing at the time of renewal. Your iTunes account will be charged when the purchase is confirmed.
We understand that managing your weight isn’t easy. If you lose weight on a diet, you often gain it right back when you stop! Let us use our years of experience to help you achieve your goals!
• Know exactly how much you should eat and workout to reach your weight goal.
• Powered by America’s most accurate food database.
• Barcode scanner
• See yourself progress with motivating charts.
• Quick and easy to use diary for tracking meals and exercise. Works offline.
• See how many calories are in your favorite recipes!
• Support for weight loss, weight gain and weight maintenance.
• When you’ve reached your goal weight, your calorie target changes to maintenance level.
• Track more than calories and carbs: Fat, sugar, sodium, cholesterol, fiber, protein, calcium and much more.
Start a new life today with ControlMyWeight!”
4. Lose It! – Calorie Counter
Since our launch in 2008 we have been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The Today Show, Men’s Health, Women’s Health, CNET, Buzzfeed, CNN, Shape, Good Morning America, and more.
• 80+ million pounds of weight lost by our members (and counting)
• 27+ million searchable items in our comprehensive international food library database
• 40+ million users who have started their weight loss journey with Lose It!
• 25+ macronutrient and health goals to choose from
• 3 days of tracking is all it takes before a user starts to see a result in weight loss
• Lose It! is Weight Loss That Fits!
HOW LOSE IT! WORKS
Lose It! uses the proven principles of calorie tracking to educate and help you succeed. To get started just input your profile details with your goal weight and we’ll calculate the daily calorie budget best for you. Next, easily track your food, weight, and activity and get ready to celebrate your weight loss victories. There’s no easier way to change your habits and learn about your nutrition needs.
LOSE IT! FEATURES
• Barcode Scanner – quickly scan food barcodes or search our database to track foods you’ve eaten.
• Snap It – log food by simply taking a photo of your food. Just tap the camera icon for food tracking as easy as taking a picture. (2016 CES Innovation Award Winner).
• Track Nutrients – track more than just calories including macros, proteins, water, carbs, sugars, body measurements, sleep cycles, and more.
• Fitness App Syncs – connect trackers, apps, and devices like Fitbit trackers, Misfit trackers, Fitbit scales, Garmin trackers, Withings scales, Google Fit, Healthkit, and more.
• Biggest Food Library Database – 27+ million searchable foods in our international library.
• Challenges – step up your game with fun weight loss, fruit/veggie, and exercise challenges by yourself or with your friends. That’s some serious motivation!
• Meal Planning & Targets – meal targets helps you calculate suggested calories per meal based on your goal while meal planning allows you to customize your meal names and snacks for more accurate records.
• Patterns – learn about your habits with our exclusive personal insights and patterns to identify what is hindering or helping your progress.
• Themes – personalize the look and feel of Lose It! with themes that speak to your personality.
• Recipes – customize your weight loss journey with breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals you create yourself.
• Workout Guides – library of workouts to help guide you to success.
Download Lose It! today and join our community of members helping us reach our mission to mobilize the world to achieve a healthy weight.
Get started today with Lose It! – Weight Loss That Fits!
Lose It! basic is free, but you can upgrade to Premium to unlock awesome additional features. Premium members report 3x the weight loss of free members.
Should you choose to purchase a Premium or Boost subscription, subscription purchase will be charged to your iTunes account. The yearly subscription will automatically renew unless the auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the period subscription ends. Renewal price will be $39.99 or $59.99, unless a discount is specified at time of original purchase. Your premium subscription auto-renew can be turned off or managed in your iTunes account settings. Any unused portion of the free trial is forfeited after purchase.”
MyFitnessPal has the biggest food database available, with over 14 million foods to help you accurately log everything you eat.
And with innovative tools like Meal Scan, logging your entire meal is faster than ever. Just point your phone’s camera for real-time, AI-powered results—no food search necessary!
Join our engaged online community of 200 million members for endless inspiration and advice as you strive to lose weight, get fit, or keep your nutrition & calories on track.
This is the app for you if you want to feel empowered to make smarter choices … find motivation & support throughout your journey … and conquer all your goals.
Download and start your free 30-day Premium trial to gain access to exclusive food and fitness logging tools and expert guidance.
You’ll discover why MyFitnessPal is the #1 Diet and Nutrition App in the U.S., a GQ 2020 Fitness Awards “Best Fitness App”, and has been featured in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, the Today Show, and U.S. News & World Report.
IT’S LIKE HAVING A DIETITIAN, TRAINER & COACH AT YOUR FINGERTIPS
• Log Meals & Activity – Innovative tools make food and workout logging quick & easy.
• Set Goals – Customize your personal weight, nutrition & fitness goals.
• Track Progress – See progress at a glance, or analyze your nutrition in detail.
• Learn From Experts – Hit your goals faster with daily coaching from Meal & Workout Plans.
• Stay Inspired – 250+ healthy recipes and 150+ workouts keep routines fresh & fun.
• Connect With Community – Find friends, motivation, and support in our active forums.
A CLOSER LOOK AT FEATURES & BENEFITS
Gain Valuable Insights Through Food Logging — Discover which foods fuel you best.
• Biggest Database – Log over 14 million foods.
• NEW! Meal Scan – Our latest logging innovation! Scan & log everything on your plate with your phone’s camera.
• Fast & Easy Logging Tools – Type to search, add from history, or scan a barcode.
• Calorie Tracker – Automatically calculate calories and see daily progress.
• Macro Tracker – View carbs, fat, and protein breakdown by gram or %.
• Nutrition Insights – Analyze intake and set specific goals for macros & more.
Fully Customize Your App Experience — Choose settings for your personal goals.
• Custom Goals and Personalized Dashboard – Track calories by meal or day, set up macro goals & more.
• Net Carbs Mode – View net carbs instead of total carbs.
• Exercise Calorie Settings – Decide how activity affects daily calorie goals.
• Connect 50+ Apps & Devices – Track activity from your smartwatch & fitness apps, including the Health app.
Build New Habits With 28-Day Expert-Guided Plans — Let us motivate you to eat healthy and get moving.
• Meal Plans by a Registered Dietitian – Nutrition tips & recipes customized for your goals, plus access to our Meal Planner tool!
Cook & Eat for Your Personal Goals — 250+ healthy recipes handpicked by our registered dietitian.
• Goal-Focused Collections – High Protein, Low Carb, Vegetarian & more.
• One-Tap Logging – Add recipes directly to your diary.
Train Like a Pro Wherever You Go — 150+ Self-Guided Workout Routines.
• Full-Length Video Workouts – Countdown timers from warmup to cooldown.
• Built by Certified Trainers – Demo videos, trainer tips & modifications.
SUBSCRIPTION PRICING & TERMS
MyFitnessPal is free to download and use. If you upgrade to MyFitnessPal Premium, we offer monthly & annual auto-renewing subscriptions.
Payment is charged to your credit card through your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription renews automatically unless you turn off auto-renewal in iTunes Account Settings after purchase, or cancel your subscription at least 24 hours prior to the end of the subscription period.
6. Simple Food Tracker Foodility
Please rate our App and provide us feedback on how to improve! We really want to create the best simple food/fitness diary experience for you 🙂[Features]* Simple food and fitness diary without required calorie counting (calorie is OPTIONAL).
* Supports meal, exercise, water, weight, medication, supplement, and mood logs.
* Just write what you want on beautiful and simple expandable sticky notes.
* PDF support for meal, exercise, water, weight and other note types.
* Statistic Charts for water and weight posts.
* Sync data between iOS devices (Account registration required to use this feature).
* Push notification (alarm) to remind yourself of meal, water, exercise and etc.
* Calendar view lets you organize your food and fitness experience.
* Supports both restaurants and custom locations for posting.
* Intuitive and clean posting pipeline that guides you to create an organized food and fitness posts/log. [Premium Version]● Custom Presets for major note types.
● Customizable Tag for “General Note”.
● Customizable calendar dot colors and customizable font style and color.
● Preset tags for “General Note”.
● Flexible PDF Export and Statistics date range.
● All-In-One PDF export.
● PDF Export with photos.
● More exclusive Premium benefits will be added regularly and by requests. [Note for 1 Month / 12 Months Foodility Premium subscription]• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user’s Account Settings after purchase
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable
• Terms of Services: https://foodilityapp.github.io/termsofservice.html
7. YAZIO Fasting & Food Tracker
More than 50 million people have already achieved their New Year’s resolutions with YAZIO. Be a part of it.
“I’ve lost the first 15 lb, and with the Calorie Calculator, you definitely will get a great feeling about your nutrition. My goal is to get to 160 lb. I started at 210 lb.” (Sandra via Facebook)
More success stories from our users:
– Alexander: “I’ve been using the Calorie Counter since April and have lost up to 60 lb. The app is very helpful for losing weight.”
– Claudia: “The new Calorie Counter app is great – just like the super fast and reliable support!”
– Michael: “I stopped smoking 18 months ago and gained nearly 40 lb. Now I have to go back down – I will give it a try with the YAZIO Calorie Counter.”
YAZIO is the best diet and weight loss app for iPhone, iPad & Apple Watch
– Personal plan to lose weight or build muscles
– Calorie table with over 2 million foods
– Nutrition tracker and food diary for all meals
– Tracks your calories, carbs, proteins and fats
– Create meals, add favorites or input new foods
– Copy diary entries to other days easily
– Built–in barcode scanner for quick searching
– Tracks your sports, exercises and activities
– Calorie calculator to track your burned calories
– Tracks your daily steps walked and be more active
– Documents your weight with weight tracker
– Assesses your diet and achievements
– Syncs with Health App and other fitness apps
– Use the Watch App to take control
– Great Today widget and 3D touch feature
The advantages of YAZIO PRO are undeniable
– PRO is a useful extension of the free app
– With PRO, you will reach your goal twice as fast
– Nutritional plans for low carb, high protein, etc.
– Over 100 healthy and delicious recipes
– Smart and intelligent food rating
– More analysis including diet and body statistics
– Tracks other nutrients like sugar, fiber and salt
– Recognize foods with the most carbs or fat
– Shows progress over the previous 2.5 years
– Tracks body fat, blood pressure and blood sugar
– Measure your breast, waist and hip circumference
– Plan your diet and sports for the next days
– No more advertisements – who doesn’t love that?
– Supports our continuous improvement of YAZIO
You can buy PRO via in–app purchases within the app. YAZIO PRO is significantly cheaper than comparable Calorie Counter apps for diet and weight loss.
There are three different PRO subscriptions:
– 3 months (quarterly subscription)
– 6 months (semi-annual subscription)
– 1 year (annual subscription)
Do you want to help make the YAZIO Calorie Counter an even better nutritional & diet app? We always welcome your suggestions and feedback.”