If you are looking for the Best Free Handheld Gps App For Android to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 6 Best Free Handheld Gps App For Android that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 6 Best Free Handheld Gps App For Android, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
6 Best Free Handheld Gps App For Android
1. Google Maps
“Navigate your world faster and easier with Google Maps. Over 220 countries and territories mapped and hundreds of millions of businesses and places on the map. Get real-time GPS navigation, traffic, and transit info, and explore local neighborhoods by knowing where to eat, drink and go – no matter what part of the world you’re in.
Get there faster with real-time updates
• Beat traffic with real-time ETAs and traffic conditions
• Catch your bus, train, or ride-share with real-time transit info
• Save time with automatic rerouting based on live traffic, incidents, and road closures
Discover places and explore like a local
• Discover local restaurant, events, and activities that matter to you
• Know what’s trending and new places that are opening in the areas you care about
• Decide more confidently with “Your match,” a number on how likely you are to like a place
• Group planning made easy. Share a shortlist of options and vote in real-time
• Create lists of your favorite places and share with friends
• Follow must-try places recommended by local experts, Google, and publishers
• Review places you’ve visited. Add photos, missing roads and places.
More experiences on Google Maps
• Offline maps to search and navigate without an internet connection
• Street View and indoor imagery for restaurants, shops, museums and more
• Indoor maps to quickly find your way inside big places like airports, malls and stadiums
* Some features not available in all countries
* Also available for Wear OS
* Navigation isn’t intended to be used by oversized or emergency vehicles”
2. “AllTrails: Hiking, Running & Mountain Bike Trails”
“Explore the outdoors with AllTrails! Discover nature with hiking, biking, backpacking and running trails around the world. Log your hike, walk, run or mountain bike ride with our GPS activity tracker. Looking for a good spot for camping or backpacking? The AllTrails community is a great place to get inspired.
View trail maps to find that kid friendly or dog friendly trails that you’ve been searching for. Take the mountain biking, horseback riding, or backpacking trip you’ve always wanted to do. Explore national parks or discover new running maps, biking and hiking trails in your area. Download offline maps, get to the trailhead and start your outdoor adventure.
Whether it’s a hike or a cycling ride you’re after, AllTrails inspires you with trail maps for your next outdoor adventure.
Explore 200,000+ Hiking Trails and Mountain Bike Routes
• AllTrails has the largest collection of GPS trail maps, topo maps, and downloadable offline maps for trails in national parks and your own neighborhood
• Discover the outdoors with new mountain biking, running or hiking trails, with reviews and ratings from a community of hikers, cyclists and trail runners like you
• Find a hike, mountain bike ride, or trail run that’s perfect for your fitness and experience level
• Filter by dog friendly, kid friendly, and wheelchair friendly walking trails
Record Your Outdoor Adventures with the AllTrails GPS Activity Tracker
• Turn your phone into a GPS activity tracker and follow your trail so you don’t get lost while exploring the outdoors
• View your hiking, running and cycling stats at a glance
• Share your latest backpacking, hiking, running and mountain biking activities with friends on Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp
Save Your Favorite Trails
• Explore all the hiking and cycling trails on your bucket list and add new ones to check out
• Easily save your favorite trails to run, hike, camp or bike again and again
• Follow the hikers, cyclists and runners that inspire you
Get GPS Driving Directions to the Trailhead
• With just one tap, get GPS driving directions so you can get to the trailhead in no time
Hike across the most beautiful national parks and nature preserves on the planet. Whatever your fitness or experience level, AllTrails will help you explore new trails with confidence.
Get More with AllTrails Pro!
• Download offline maps – track your exact GPS location as you navigate the trail, even when you don’t have a signal
• Never miss a turn with off-route notifications
• Stay safe with Lifeline – assign safety contacts who know your plan and can track your progress
• Know what to expect with real-time map overlays including air quality, satellite weather, pollen, and light pollution
• Always have a backup – design and print stunning custom topo maps
• Experience AllTrails ad-free – remove the distraction of ads and focus on the journey
• 1% for the Planet – feel good knowing that part of your subscription will be going directly to helping the environment
AllTrails Pro is available as an annual subscription for USD $29.99/year, or you can get three years for the price of two when you buy our 3 Year Plan via a one-time payment of USD $59.99. You can subscribe and pay through your Google Play account. Your annual subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Auto-renew can be turned off anytime by going to your My Subscriptions page on Google Wallet. Access more AllTrails Pro features on our website: https://www.alltrails.com
Sign up required to favorite trails, record your activity, or follow users
We love hearing from our users! Email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. “onX Hunt: Hunting Maps, Offline GPS & Weather”
“★★★ Voted “one of the most innovative hunting products of the decade” by Field & Stream. The onX Hunt App has also been featured in Outdoor Life (hiking, biking, etc.) and American Hunter as a must-have hunting app for any hunter or outdoor enthusiast.★★★
Know where you stand with the most trusted and accurate GPS satellite /topo maps: Use onX Hunt as a fully-functioning GPS navigation on your phone. View private and public property land ownership and land owner names on the maps. Easily view hunting and fishing units, mountain roads and trails, US topographic maps and more. Turn your phone into the best hunting GPS with offline maps and location tracker!
▶ FREE TRIAL:
While the onX Hunt App and many of it’s features are free, you will also start a free Premium State Membership trial when you install the App. This allows you to try a full featured Premium State Membership for 7 days.
▶ FREE HUNTING APP FEATURES:
• NO ADS
• Aerial view and 24K Topographical Maps with GPS Navigation
• Local weather conditions, forecast, wind speed, and wind direction sourced from the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
• Aerial/Topographic Hybrid overlay to see contours with satellite imagery
• Hunting Zones, Areas or Game Management Units (GMU) for general game species in all 50 states
• Free Hunting GPS app with compass, tracker and waypoints: mark waypoints with icons to navigate back to your vehicle, camp, or hunt stand
• Easily measure distances between tree stands and blinds
• Measure acreage with the Shape Tool to easily measure food plots
• Track the distance, coordinates, duration and speed of your hunt with our GPS Hunting Tracker
• Complimentary mapping layers such as topo maps, hiking trails, running and bike path
• Web Map for e-scouting at home and syncing data to your mobile. Web Hunting Map: www.onxmaps.com/web
▶ OFFLINE GPS FUNCTIONALITY:
The onX Hunt App turns your phone into an outdoor handheld GPS Navigator by using the GPS built into your phone or tablet to display your location on the sat/topo map. Cellular coverage is NOT needed, as tile saving technology allows you to save basemaps and layers for offline navigation.
Extensive collection of Rec points, hiking and bike trails, backcountry roads, hot springs, Fire towers, and more.
▶ WEB MAP: Memberships also include access to our online Web Hunting Map (www.onxmaps.com/web)!
• Scout from the comfort of your home
• Sync markups and tracks between devices
• Print unlimited free maps
▶ PREMIUM STATE MEMBERSHIP:
With a Premium State Membership you gain access to our proprietary hunting GPS maps developed by our GIS team. A Premium State Membership costs $29.99/year. Get the same great features of the free onX Hunt App but with the additional benefits of:
• Public land like Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management (BLM maps), Wildlife Management Areas, County and State land hunting/fishing maps, Timber Lands, QUADS and more!
• Landowner names with property line maps and boundaries finder in available counties (U.S. only)
• Search by landowner name or Hunting property landowner boundaries to scout and look for new areas to Hunt.
• Save private, or public hunting land maps for offline use
• GMU or Hunting Units for multiple species (Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Elk, Turkey Hunting and more)
• Possible Access Lands, Walk-In areas, Block Management Areas and private lands open to the public.
• The largest database of nationwide Roads and Trails ever built.
* Private landownership maps may not be available for all counties (U.S. only)
ELITE NATIONWIDE MEMBERSHIP
With an Elite Membership, you gain access to our proprietary maps for all 50 states. You also get access to exclusive tools and services that maximize your hunting experience. Easily scout and plan hunts in any state now for one membership price. Available for $99.99/year or $14.99/month.
Having a problem, or want to request new features please contact us at email@example.com”
4. “Polaris GPS: Hiking, Offroad”
Turn your phone into a powerful GPS navigation system with Polaris Navigation GPS, the most versatile all-purpose GPS, and dare to go where there are no roads.
Imagine… What would it be like to navigate any waterway or hike any wilderness or city using only your phone’s GPS location abilities and a view of the sky? What it would be like to create navigation destinations without the need of an internet connection and find them using offline maps or a waypoint navigation arrow.
That is just a glimpse of the navigational power you will hold in your hands when you install Polaris Navigation GPS.
Used mostly as a hiking, off road, nautical and trail GPS app, Polaris is an excellent backup or replacement for your dedicated GPS satellite navigation unit and will keep you oriented wherever your outdoor adventures take you!
● Waypoint navigation.
● Hiking GPS with the best hiking maps! Search and find nearby trails.
● Back country exploration and outdoor adventure.
● Record tracks and navigate trails.
● Offroad navigation support for your ATV, Jeep or other 4×4 vehicle.
● Sailing / Boating. All marine navigation charts in Polaris are free.
● Fishing GPS. Easily find you favorite fishing hole.
● Hunting and hunting maps. Find you favorite hunting blind and your way back!
● Mountain Biking and bike maps
● Backpacking and other outdoor sports
● Compass orienteering
Known for its stability, reliability and flexibility, Polaris is used by land-sea search and rescue, military personnel and millions of others worldwide.
For your offline adventures we provide:
📡 Unlimited free access to our offline vector & raster maps (topographic maps, marine, hiking and others).
📡 Offline nautical charts for the USA included (ENC’s and raster).
This powerful navigation system also includes:
📡 Polaris Places Picker. Find hiking trails, camping locations and much more!
📡 GPS compass and magnetic compass.
📡 GPS info panel.
📡 Odometers, altimeters, speedometers, chronometers.
📡 Split distances on tracks.
📡 Connect your waypoints and navigate the track they define.
– Google Maps
– Topographic Maps
– Cycle Route and Hiking Maps
– Vector Maps
– USGS Topo
– NOAA Marine Charts
– Aviation Operations Charts
– Canada Toporama
📡 Comprehensive set of GPS Tools and diagnostics.
📡 Waypoint navigation system including a dynamic waypoint-finding compass that always points to your destination while reporting estimated time of arrival, distance to target and other statistics. Just follow the arrow!
📡 Trail navigation system
📡 Altitude profiles
📡 Location sharing
📡 Supports British OSGR and OSGB-36 DATUM (Ordnance Survey Grid).
📡 Coordinate formats: latitude/longitude as degrees, deg:min, deg:min:sec, and UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator)
📡 Military Coordinate Finder – Military Grid Coordinate Reference System (MGRS)
📡 Hiking Trails – Most of the maps show hiking paths courtesy of the Openstreetmap project. You will find that even some of the most remote hiking routes are visible on our maps.
⚓ Marine navigation- NOAA Nautical Charts and nautical unit reporting.
⚓ Drift alert / Drag anchor alarm.
📡 Select source for altitude reporting: Satellites, United States Geologic Survey or map your location to the results of NASA’s Space Shuttle Radar Topography Mission.
📡 Waypoint photos stamped with coordinates.
📡 Road navigation and street directions are provided through a digital pipeline connecting the power of Polaris to the Google Maps app on your device.
* The premium version of Polaris Navigation is called GPS Waypoints Navigator, available on Google Play. GPS Waypoints Navigator is ad-free and contains many other enhancements.”
5. Handy GPS (free)
This app is a powerful navigation tool designed for outdoors sports like hiking, bushwalking, tramping, mountain biking, kayaking, horse trail riding, and geocaching. Its also useful for surveying, mining, archaeology, and forestry applications. Its simple to use and works even in the remotest back country since it doesn’t require network connectivity. It allows you to work in UTM or lat/lon coordinates so you can even use it with your paper topographic maps.
NOTE: This is a free trial version and is limited to storing only 3 waypoints, and 40 track log points. You can use the trial version for as long as you want, but if you like this app, please install the paid version of “Handy GPS” to get an unlimited version with lots more features. Thanks!
* Shows your current coordinates, altitude, speed, direction of travel, and total distance travelled in metric, imperial/US, or nautical units.
* Can store your current location as a waypoint, and record a track log to show where you’ve been on a map.
* Data can be imported from and exported to KML and GPX files.
* Allows manual entry of waypoints in UTM, MGRS and lat/lon coords.
* Can guide you to a waypoint using the “Goto” screen, and optionally sound an alert when when you’re getting close.
* Has a compass page which works on devices with magnetic field sensors.
* Automatically computes the local geoid offset to improve altitude accuracy
* Supports the world-wide WGS84 datum along with the common Australian datums and map grids. You can use WGS84 for NAD83 maps in the US.
* Shows GPS satellite locations and signal strengths graphically.
* Can display simple or MGRS grid references.
* Can compute waypoint-to-waypoint distance and direction.
* Includes an optional timer line to record walk duration and compute your average speed.
* Thoroughly tested by the developer on many off-track walks
EXTRA FEATURES ONLY IN THE PAID VERSION:
* No ads.
* An unlimited number of waypoints and track log points.
* Offline maps.
* Custom datums.
* Elevation profile.
* Take photos and record voice memos from the app.
* Email or SMS your location to a friend.
* UK grid refs.
* GPS averaging to improve location accuracy,
* Sun rise and set times.
* Export waypoints and tracklogs to a CSV file.
* Project waypoints using bearing and distance.
* Compute length, area, and elevation change from the tracklog.
* Compute calories.
PERMISSIONS: (1) GPS – to determine your location, (2) Network access – for access to standard map layers and OSM tiles, (3) SD card access – to load and store waypoints and tracklogs, (4) Camera access for taking pics*, (5) Prevent phone from sleeping so that proximity alarm works, (6) Control flashlight, to allow the flashlight to be turned on/off from within the app, (7) Record audio for voice memos*. (* Feature only available in full version of app).
DISCLAIMER: You use this app at your own risk. The developer accepts no responsibility for you getting lost or injured as a result of using this app. Batteries in mobile devices can go flat. For extended and remote hikes, a battery bank and an alternative method of navigation such as a paper map and compass are recommended for safety.”
6. “Gaia GPS: Hiking, Offroad Maps”
Gaia GPS has been featured in countless publications, including Outside, Backpacker, Trail Runner, and the New York Times.
Gaia GPS is first and foremost a backpacking app. View your route using comprehensive topo maps and backpacking map layers, plus up-to-date weather forecast overlays. Then, use the intelligent routing tools to plan trips, mark campsites and points of interest, and measure distance, altitude, and elevation change.
►► Day Hiking
Both a hiking navigation app and a platform for finding hikes, Gaia GPS helps you discover your next adventure. You can also create your own tracks, leave reviews, and contribute to the community-sourced hike database.
Gaia GPS is the most comprehensive hunting app on the market. Build custom hunting maps by cross-referencing game management units with public and private land parcels. Then, get deep into the wilderness to find solitude, even on opening day, with the Roadless/Trailless overlays.
►► Camping and Overlanding
A camping app with weather forecasts, public land data, and community-sourced camping beta, Gaia GPS helps you find a campsite anywhere. View dispersed camping areas on the Public Land overlay, and leave waypoints to create custom camping maps. Reference road maps and MVUMs to plot overland, 4×4, or off-roading routes.
►► Backcountry Skiing and Mountaineering
Apply slope-angle shading and 24-, 48-,and 72-hour Snowfall and Precipitation Forecast overlays to create custom backcountry skiing maps, plan tours, and avoid avalanche terrain. Gaia GPS is the best skiing app for staying safe deep in the backcountry.
►► Mountain Biking
Go farther, faster by mounting Gaia GPS to your handlebars for hands-free navigation. Access mountain biking trail maps on both public and private land with the best mountain biking app on the market.
►► Professional Use: Firefighters, Search and Rescue teams, Land Manager, GIS Techs, and Guides
Gaia GPS is the preferred nav app for outdoor professionals. Quickly route to GPS coordinates, view recent wildfires, and share maps, tracks, and waypoints with your team to get boots on the ground faster. Guides can mark routes, campsites, and water sources, and share hard-to-find approaches and descents with clients and fellow guides.
►► Membership Levels
Free Level – You’ll be limited to the default map source, and you won’t be able to download maps for offline use.
Premium Member Level – As a Premium Member, you also get access to these map sources:
• NatGeo Trails Illustrated (including Appalachian Trail, Colorado Trail, and John Muir Trail maps)
• ESRI World Satellite Imagery
• NOAA weather forecasts
• US Private Land Ownership (including owner names and addresses for parcels)
• US Hunting Layers (including GMUs, public land, and recent fires)
• US Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs)
• France IGN
• Swiss Topo
• Backroads Mapbooks Canada
• Hill-shading, contour-line, slope-angle, and other overlays
► To manage your subscription:
• TURN OFF auto-renewal: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7018481
• Subscriptions automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your Google Play account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours of the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Your Google Play Account will be charged at confirmation of purchase.