If you are looking for the Best Free Hiking App For iPhone to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 5 Best Free Hiking App For iPhone that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 5 Best Free Hiking App For iPhone, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
5 Best Free Hiking App For iPhone
1. “AllTrails: Hike, Bike & Run”
Explore 200,000+ hand-curated trail maps plus reviews and photos crowdsourced from millions of hikers, mountain bikers and trail runners. Find that dog-friendly or kid-friendly trail that you’ve been searching for. Take that mountain biking or backpacking trip you’ve always dreamed of. Explore a national park, or discover new hiking trails in your area.
Whether you’re a hiker, biker or trail runner, AllTrails will help you find the way.
EXPLORE 200,000+ HIKING TRAILS AND MOUNTAIN BIKE ROUTES
• Discover new trails in national parks or in your own neighborhood, with hand-curated GPS and topo maps
• Browse photos and reviews from our community of hikers, cyclists and trail runners like you
• Find a hike, mountain bike ride, or trail run that’s perfect for your fitness and experience level. Filter by dog friendly, kid friendly, and wheelchair friendly trails
RECORD YOUR ADVENTURES
• Turn your phone into a GPS activity tracker and follow your trail so you don’t get lost
• View your hiking, running and cycling stats at a glance
• Share your outdoor adventures with friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and more
SAVE YOUR FAVORITE TRAILS
• Explore all the trails on your bucket list and add new ones to check out
• Easily save your favorite trails to run, hike or bike
• Follow the hikers, cyclists and runners that inspire you
EASILY GET TO THE TRAIL
• Get detailed GPS driving directions directly to the trailhead
GET MORE WITH ALLTRAILS PRO
• Download offline maps – track your exact GPS location as you navigate the trail, even when you don’t have a signal
• Never miss a turn with off-route notifications
• Stay safe with Lifeline – assign safety contacts who know your plan and can track your progress
• Know what to expect with real-time map overlays including air quality, satellite weather, pollen, and light pollution
• Always have a backup – design and print stunning custom topo maps
• Experience AllTrails ad-free – remove the distraction of ads and focus on the journey
• 1% for the Planet – feel good knowing that part of your subscription will be going directly to helping the environment
AllTrails Pro is available as an annual subscription for $29.99/year, or you can get three years for the price of two when you buy our 3 Year Plan via a one-time payment of $59.99. You can subscribe and pay through your iTunes account. Your annual subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period (the 3 Year Plan does not auto-renew). Auto-renew can be turned off anytime by going to your Account Settings in iTunes after purchase.
Sign up required to favorite trails, record your activity, or follow users
AllTrails allows you to automatically export information about your recordings to the Apple Health app.
We love hearing from users! Email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.”
2. “Gaia GPS Hiking, Offroad Maps”
Gaia GPS has been featured in countless publications, including Outside, Backpacker, Trail Runner, the New York Times, and numerous App Store features.
Gaia GPS started as a backpacking app. Download topo and satellite maps for offline use. Use intelligent routing tools to plan trips, and measure distance, altitude, and elevation change. View your route using comprehensive backpacking maps, including up-to-date weather forecasts.
►► Day Hiking
Both a hiking navigation app and a platform for finding hikes, Gaia GPS helps you discover your next adventure. Use the Discover tab to find hikes and nearby trails, and download maps and hike info to your phone for offline use.
►► Camping and Overlanding
Gaia GPS helps you find a campsite on the road, or deep in the backcountry. As a camping app, Gaia GPS delivers public land data to help you stay legal, maps with campsites, parks, and forests, as well as weather overlays. Mark waypoints to create custom camping maps, plus reference road maps and Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) to plot overland, 4×4, and off-roading routes. Use Gaia GPS in your car’s dash via Apple CarPlay.
►► Backcountry Skiing and Mountaineering
Apply slope-angle shading and 24-, 48-,and 72-hour Snowfall and Precipitation Forecast overlays to create custom backcountry skiing maps, plan tours, and scout avalanche terrain.
Driven by hunters on the team, Gaia GPS has become a top hunting app. Build custom hunting maps that include public land designations, private land ownership, and state-by-state hunting units.
►► Mountain Biking
Go farther, faster by mounting Gaia GPS to your handlebars for hands-free navigation. Access mountain biking trail maps on both public and private land. Gaia GPS is a great mtb app for deep exploration.
►► Fitness Stats
Use Gaia GPS on your Apple Watch to record activities as workouts and view fitness stats with Apple Health.
►► Professional Use: Firefighters, Search and Rescue teams, Land Manager, GIS Techs, and Guides
Gaia GPS is the preferred nav app for outdoor professionals. Quickly route to GPS coordinates, plot fire perimeters, view recent wildfires, and share maps, tracks, and waypoints with your team. Guides can mark routes, campsites, and water sources, and share hard-to-find approaches and descents with clients and fellow guides.
Free – Use all features, except you can’t mass-download maps for offline use, and you can’t access all the complete maps catalog. Free maps include Gaia Topo, Native Lands, Air Quality, and Wildfires.
Premium Membership – Access and download a worldwide catalog of maps. You get access to these map sources, plus many more.
• NatGeo Trails Illustrated (including Appalachian Trail, Colorado Trail, and John Muir Trail maps)
• ESRI World Satellite Imagery
• NOAA weather forecasts
• US Private Land Ownership (including owner names and addresses for parcels)
• US Hunting Layers
• US Public Land (BLM, Forests, more)
• US Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs)
• Historical Wildfires
• Hill-shading, contour-line, slope-angle, and other overlays
• Backroads Mapbooks Canada
• France IGN
• Swiss Topo
► To manage your subscription:
• TURN OFF auto-renewal via the main Settings app: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098
• Subscriptions automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours of the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Your iTunes Account will be charged at confirmation of purchase.
3. Hiking Project
With the thoroughness of a printed map, we offer full GPS route info, elevation profiles, interactive features, photos, and more. Like a guidebook, we suggest the best featured hikes to explore—either near your current location or in an area you search for. Local experts show you the highlights, challenging features, and insights you need to plan a great day on the trails.
• Find over 74,000 miles of trail to hike with your crew.
• New trails are constantly added to our incredibly detailed hiking database.
• Your exact location is shown on the trail.
• Downloaded trails work offline for when you’re off the grid. (No cell reception required!)
• Enjoy high-resolution photos and detailed topographical trail maps.
• We’ll sync with your to-do list and check ins on HikingProject.com.
By using GPS, we can show your location on trails and vertical profiles. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.”
“Spyglass is an essential offline GPS app for outdoors and off-road navigation. Packed with tools it serves as binoculars, heads-up display, hi-tech compass with offline maps, gyrocompass, GPS receiver, waypoint tracker, speedometer, altimeter, Sun, Moon and star finder, gyro horizon, rangefinder, coordinate converter, sextant, inclinometer, angular calculator and camera. It saves your custom places and waypoints, navigates precisely to them later, shows them on maps and using real-time augmented reality displays detailed GPS info, measures distances, sizes, angles, and does a lot more.
COMPASS & GYROCOMPASS
Accuracy improvement techniques, special compass modes and calibration methods available in Spyglass only make it a real instrument – the most advanced and accurate digital compass.
FINDER, TRACKER & AR NAVIGATION
Spyglass operates in 3D and uses augmented reality to show real-time object positions, info and directions to them overlaid over camera or maps.
Save current position, add points from maps, manually enter location coordinates and bearings, add stars by hand or use a built-in star catalogue.
Find saved places and objects later simply by following directional arrows.
Spyglass tracks multiple targets simultaneously and shows their info – distance, direction, azimuth, elevation and estimated time of arrival.
Copy, paste and share locations, coordinates and map links using many supported formats.
GPS, SPEEDOMETER & ALTIMETER
Find and track your location and get detailed real-time GPS data – coordinates in dozens of formats, altitude, course, current, maximum and vertical speed, using imperial, metric, nautical and surveying units.
See your and targets’ positions on maps using different map styles and alternative map providers – plan waypoints and measure distances. Offline maps optimized for retina displays are available for download.
TRACK STARS, SUN AND MOON & NAVIGATE BY STARS
Track positions of stars, Sun and Moon with arc second precision – use them as a reference to calibrate compass for maximum accuracy.
Measure distances to objects in real time with a rangefinder reticle similar to sniper sights.
SEXTANT, ANGULAR CALCULATOR AND INCLINOMETER
Find out heights of objects and distances to them – measure visually and calculate dimensions and distances.
Take pictures overlaid with all available GPS, positional and directional data.
DEMO & HELP
SUBSCRIPTION PRICING AND TERMS
In Spyglass we offer you the subscription option:
Spyglass Plus offers a monthly subscription for $2.99. It gives you access to additional map styles like cycling maps or public transport maps.
This price is for United States customers. Pricing in other countries may vary and actual charges may be converted to your local currency depending on the country of residence.
Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
The account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period and identify the cost of the renewal.
You can turn off the auto-renew for the subscription whenever you want to through your iTunes account. Check https://support.apple.com/HT202039. When your current trial/subscription period expires, you will be unsubscribed. The current active subscription period cannot be canceled. After your subscription expires, you will no longer be able to use elements offered in your chosen Subscription Option.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact us at https://spyglassnav.com
5. “ViewRanger: Hike, Bike or Walk”
In order to focus all our effort on our Outdooractive app and website, we currently expect to switch off access to the ViewRanger app at the end of February 2022. We recommend you download and use the Outdooractive app instead of ViewRanger.
If you are already using ViewRanger, we offer you an easy way to move to the Outdooractive app – where you can continue to access your maps, tracks, routes, POIs, and other ViewRanger app data.
Search for “Outdooractive” and download the app for free.
If you made one-off payments to access maps within ViewRanger, then we are offering free access to a set of maps via the Outdooractive app instead. The maps we are offering depend on the region of the maps you made one-off payments for in ViewRanger. The maps will be from the same map data provider or, where necessary, from an alternative map data provider depending on the map region.
If you have a current ViewRanger subscription, then you have an Outdooractive Pro subscription that will expire at the same time as your ViewRanger subscription. You will then need to renew your subscription via the Outdooractive app. It is no longer possible to purchase or renew a ViewRanger subscription.
By connecting your ViewRanger account to Outdooractive, routes you have plotted, routes you have downloaded, activity tracks you have recorded, a record of the challenges you participated in, and points-of-interest you have marked, will continue to be available within your Outdooractive account.
APPLE HEALTH provides detailed information about your activity, including the number of steps you’ve walked and your heart rate (when using Apple Watch™ or Bluetooth 4.0 enabled devices). Tracks recorded from activities in ViewRanger can be saved to Apple Health as workouts.