If you are looking for the Best Free Offline English Dictionary App For iPhone to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 5 Best Free Offline English Dictionary App For iPhone that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 5 Best Free Offline English Dictionary App For iPhone, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
5 Best Free Offline English Dictionary App For iPhone
1. Dictionary Offline Free
“A truly offline dictionaries app allows you to browse up to 66 dictionaries for multi-language word definition and translation WITHOUT INTERNET CONNECTION. Once the dictionaries are downloaded, it will stay in your device.
This is extremely useful when you are traveling abroad or in remote area without internet or in the airplane. It will save you data cost since you don’t need any network to use it.
Get the Pro version to remove ads and have the complete 66 dictionaries.
The Dictionary Offline Free includes dictionaries:
• English (WordNet)
• English Synonyms
• French (Academy)
• French -> English, vice versa
• German -> English, vice versa
• Portuguese -> English, vice versa
• Russian -> English, vice versa
Pro version has no ads and more dictionaries:
• English (Merriam-Webster)
• English (Oxford)
• English Idioms
• English Jargons
• Afrikaans -> English, vice versa
• Arabic -> English, vice versa
• Brazilian Portuguese -> English, vice versa
• Chinese (Simplified) -> English, vice versa
• Chinese (Traditional) -> English
• Czech -> English, vice versa
• Danish -> English, vice versa
• Dutch -> English, vice versa
• Finnish -> English, vice versa
• Hebrew -> English, vice versa
• Hungarian -> English, vice versa
• English -> Hindi
• Indonesian -> English, vice versa
• Italian -> English, vice versa
• Japanese -> English, vice versa
• Latin -> English, vice versa
• Norwegian -> English, vice versa
• English -> Persian
• Polish -> English, vice versa
• Romanian -> English, vice versa
• Slovene -> English, vice versa
• Spanish -> English, vice versa
• Swedish -> English, vice versa
• Turkish -> English, vice versa
• Ukrainian -> English, vice versa
• Vietnamese -> English, vice versa
• Country Fact-book
• Easton’s Bible
– Up to 66 dictionaries for viewing offline
– Multi-language word definition and translation
– No internet required
– Search keyword suggestion
– Fast search index
– Display search history
– Add to favorite word list
Dictionaries are added and improved regularly.
Have any question or feedback? Please get in touch with our tech support at email@example.com”
“The only Dictionary and Thesaurus with every word you search for. Plus Word of the Day, free offline dictionary access, and millions of definitions and synonyms from top sources, including:
The American Heritage Dictionary
Plus FREE access to:
English Offline Dictionary
English Offline Thesaurus with synonyms and more
English Idioms and Slang Dictionary
Translations of English into 40+ languages
Dozens of other translation options
+ Much more! The Free Dictionary is like getting 100+ apps in one easy-to-use interface.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the free reference category in 111 countries 2011–2018. (Source: https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/379450383/app-ranking/#device=ipad&type=best-ranks)
Here’s what you can do with The Free Dictionary app:
* Find every word you search for.
Clear, accurate definitions from top dictionaries—online and offline.
* Find synonyms fast.
Free Thesaurus with simple interface makes it easy to find the perfect word. Browse synonyms, antonyms, and related words.
* Learn something new every day.
Word of the Day
Idiom of the Day
+ Other daily content
* Build your vocabulary.
Don’t just look up words—learn how to use them!
The perfect dictionary app for word lovers and learners of all levels.
* Explore topics in-depth.
Multiple specialty dictionaries and encyclopedias:
Idioms and Slang dictionary
Acronyms and Abbreviations
* Play word games.
Spelling Bee, Hangman, and more.
* See idioms in action.
Watch idioms videos inside the app! Featuring animations of words and phrases from the idioms and slang dictionary.
* Access dictionaries in 13 other languages.
Spanish dictionary and thesaurus
French dictionary and thesaurus
German dictionary and thesaurus
+ Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, and more!
* Translate English into Spanish, French, and 40+ languages.
Or translate other languages into English. Access dozens of other translation options.
* Access dictionaries and encyclopedias from these top publishers with just one search:
Cambridge University Press
Columbia University Press
Here’s why The Free Dictionary is the most user-friendly dictionary app:
* Instantly look up words in apps or webpages! Just highlight the word you want to look up, tap “Share,” then tap “More” in the bottom menu and turn on the “Define” option. You will then see a “Define” icon in the menu. Tap it to see the definition of the highlighted word!
* Voice search. Look up a word just by saying it.
* Advanced Search options.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page. Just highlight and tap “Definition.”
* Save bookmarks with one tap and sync them to all your devices.
* Customize your homepage: Move, add, or remove articles, games, even local weather.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Adjust font size.
* Share your favorite words via social networks, email, or text.
* Earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary’s partnership with the World Food Program—just by using the app!
This is not a trial version—you get everything free and forever. Additional offline dictionaries in other languages are available in the Pro version.
Seem too good to be true?
The Free Dictionary app has been downloaded tens of millions times across multiple platforms, with top ratings after hundreds of thousands of reviews.
Read reviews from real users to see why they say The Free Dictionary is the best dictionary app they’ve ever used.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).”
3. English Dictionary – Offline
“+ Full English Dictionary – Offline +
– More than 172000 words.
– More than 180,000 senses and 49,000 sample sentences.
– Includes the “Hang On, man” Game
– Include a flash card system to facilitate learning new words and several articles about English grammar.
– You can create your own flashcards and word lists.
– Includes quality sounds for phrases and words.
– Full list of regular and irregular verbs
– Fast, as it works offline; internet is used only for a few features.
– Includes bookmarks and history.
+ Learn English with the lessons of English grammar included in the dictionary:
– Verb tense – Simple Present
– Verb tense – Simple Past
– Verb tense – Simple Future
– Verb tense – Present Continuous
– Verb tense – Past Continuous
– Verb tense – Future Continuous
– Verb tense – Present Perfect
– Verb tense – Past Perfect
– Verb tense – Future Perfect
– Verb tense – Present Perfect Continuous
– Verb tense – Past Perfect Continuous
– Verb tense – Future Perfect Continuous
– Irregular verbs
– Conditionals – Zero conditional
– Conditionals – First conditional
– Conditionals – Second conditional
– Conditionals – Third conditional
– Conditionals – Mixed conditional
– Conjunctions – Coordinating conjunctions
– Conjunctions – Correlative conjunctions
– Conjunctions – Subordinating conjunctions
– Comparative and Superlative Adjectives
– Singular and Plural Nouns
– Count Nouns and Uncountable Nouns
– Possessive Nouns
– Action Verbs
– Active / Passive Verb Forms
– Mood for Grammar
– Auxiliary Verbs Be, Do, Have
– Auxiliary Verbs Will/Would and Shall/Should
– Auxiliary Verbs Can/Could and May/Might/Must
– Prepositions On, At, and In
– Prepositions Of, To, and For
– Prepositions With, Over, and By
– Indefinite and Definite Articles
4. Merriam-Webster Dictionary
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions whether or not you’re connected.
* Universal App
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Additional resources available with in-app purchases
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Integrated Thesaurus: synonyms & antonyms are included with the dictionary
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, find watch-sized definitions with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
Fully featured and absolutely free, this app is supported by ads. You can remove ads for $2.99 per year with an in-app purchase charged to your iTunes account or $5.99 per year with additional resources. Prices vary by location. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period. You can manage your subscription in your account settings.
5. Oxford Dictionary of English
ODE is a valuable resource for anyone using English in an academic or professional context. Tailored to:
• Professionals actively using English
• Students preparing for ACT, SAT, IELTS or TOEFL exams
As well as anyone else who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current English at work or at home.
RICH CONTENT FROM THE AUTHORITY ON THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
• The latest 2021 word database from Oxford Languages (part of Oxford University Press)
• 350,000 words, phrases and meanings
• More than 75,000 audio pronunciations
• Special Topics reference content – easily look up topic-specific content
• Word-of-the-day – learn a new word, every day
USER-FRIENDLY APP FEATURES AND INTERFACE
• Favourites list – create custom folders with lists of words
• Recent list – review already looked-up words
• Word sharing – easily share a new word or definition you have just learned
• Home page – an intuitive start your journey into the English language
• Auto-correction option – correct the spelling of any word as you type it
ADVANCED SEARCH OPTIONS
• Search autocomplete – displays predictions as you type
• Keyword lookup – search within compound words and phrases
• Camera search – look up words in the camera viewfinder
• Voice search – find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled
• Wild card search – use ‘*’ or ‘?’ to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
GET THE MOST WITH PREMIUM
Our premium app features unlock the full potential of the world’s best dictionary by providing you with the following:
• Unlimited dictionary use – unlimited access to the latest database with more than 350,000 words, phrases and meanings
• Audio pronunciation – never mispronounce another word again! Available for more than 75,000 entries voiced by real British speakers
• Offline and Fast mode – access the wealth of the word database anywhere, anytime – no data or internet connection is required
• Regular content updates – receive updates to the word database, as soon as it is available from the Oxford University Press
• No advertising – enjoy an ad-free learning experience with no interruptions and distractions
PRICING & SUBSCRIPTIONS
Oxford Dictionary of English offers the following auto-renewable subscriptions:
• Annual subscription for $19.99 per year
• Monthly subscription for $2.99 per month with a special first month price of $0.99
• The price of each subscription corresponds to the same price segment, which is set in the “Apple’s App Store Matrix” for other currencies
• Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period
• You can cancel a subscription anytime by turning off auto-renewal through your iTunes account settings. This must be done 24 hours before the end of a subscription period to avoid being charged. The cancellation will take effect the day after the last day of the current subscription period, and you will be downgraded to the free service