If you are looking for the Best Free Outdoor Navigation App For Android to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 3 Best Free Outdoor Navigation App For Android that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 3 Best Free Outdoor Navigation App For Android, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
1. “Gaia GPS: Hiking, Offroad Maps”
Gaia GPS has been featured in countless publications, including Outside, Backpacker, Trail Runner, and the New York Times.
Gaia GPS is first and foremost a backpacking app. View your route using comprehensive topo maps and backpacking map layers, plus up-to-date weather forecast overlays. Then, use the intelligent routing tools to plan trips, mark campsites and points of interest, and measure distance, altitude, and elevation change.
►► Day Hiking
Both a hiking navigation app and a platform for finding hikes, Gaia GPS helps you discover your next adventure. You can also create your own tracks, leave reviews, and contribute to the community-sourced hike database.
Gaia GPS is the most comprehensive hunting app on the market. Build custom hunting maps by cross-referencing game management units with public and private land parcels. Then, get deep into the wilderness to find solitude, even on opening day, with the Roadless/Trailless overlays.
►► Camping and Overlanding
A camping app with weather forecasts, public land data, and community-sourced camping beta, Gaia GPS helps you find a campsite anywhere. View dispersed camping areas on the Public Land overlay, and leave waypoints to create custom camping maps. Reference road maps and MVUMs to plot overland, 4×4, or off-roading routes.
►► Backcountry Skiing and Mountaineering
Apply slope-angle shading and 24-, 48-,and 72-hour Snowfall and Precipitation Forecast overlays to create custom backcountry skiing maps, plan tours, and avoid avalanche terrain. Gaia GPS is the best skiing app for staying safe deep in the backcountry.
►► Mountain Biking
Go farther, faster by mounting Gaia GPS to your handlebars for hands-free navigation. Access mountain biking trail maps on both public and private land with the best mountain biking app on the market.
►► Professional Use: Firefighters, Search and Rescue teams, Land Manager, GIS Techs, and Guides
Gaia GPS is the preferred nav app for outdoor professionals. Quickly route to GPS coordinates, view recent wildfires, and share maps, tracks, and waypoints with your team to get boots on the ground faster. Guides can mark routes, campsites, and water sources, and share hard-to-find approaches and descents with clients and fellow guides.
►► Membership Levels
Free Level – You’ll be limited to the default map source, and you won’t be able to download maps for offline use.
Premium Member Level – As a Premium Member, you also get access to these map sources:
• NatGeo Trails Illustrated (including Appalachian Trail, Colorado Trail, and John Muir Trail maps)
• ESRI World Satellite Imagery
• NOAA weather forecasts
• US Private Land Ownership (including owner names and addresses for parcels)
• US Hunting Layers (including GMUs, public land, and recent fires)
• US Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs)
• France IGN
• Swiss Topo
• Backroads Mapbooks Canada
• Hill-shading, contour-line, slope-angle, and other overlays
► To manage your subscription:
• TURN OFF auto-renewal: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7018481
• Subscriptions automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your Google Play account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours of the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Your Google Play Account will be charged at confirmation of purchase.
2. “AllTrails: Hiking, Running & Mountain Bike Trails”
“Explore the outdoors with AllTrails! Discover nature with hiking, biking, backpacking and running trails around the world. Log your hike, walk, run or mountain bike ride with our GPS activity tracker. Looking for a good spot for camping or backpacking? The AllTrails community is a great place to get inspired.
View trail maps to find that kid friendly or dog friendly trails that you’ve been searching for. Take the mountain biking, horseback riding, or backpacking trip you’ve always wanted to do. Explore national parks or discover new running maps, biking and hiking trails in your area. Download offline maps, get to the trailhead and start your outdoor adventure.
Whether it’s a hike or a cycling ride you’re after, AllTrails inspires you with trail maps for your next outdoor adventure.
Explore 200,000+ Hiking Trails and Mountain Bike Routes
• AllTrails has the largest collection of GPS trail maps, topo maps, and downloadable offline maps for trails in national parks and your own neighborhood
• Discover the outdoors with new mountain biking, running or hiking trails, with reviews and ratings from a community of hikers, cyclists and trail runners like you
• Find a hike, mountain bike ride, or trail run that’s perfect for your fitness and experience level
• Filter by dog friendly, kid friendly, and wheelchair friendly walking trails
Record Your Outdoor Adventures with the AllTrails GPS Activity Tracker
• Turn your phone into a GPS activity tracker and follow your trail so you don’t get lost while exploring the outdoors
• View your hiking, running and cycling stats at a glance
• Share your latest backpacking, hiking, running and mountain biking activities with friends on Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp
Save Your Favorite Trails
• Explore all the hiking and cycling trails on your bucket list and add new ones to check out
• Easily save your favorite trails to run, hike, camp or bike again and again
• Follow the hikers, cyclists and runners that inspire you
Get GPS Driving Directions to the Trailhead
• With just one tap, get GPS driving directions so you can get to the trailhead in no time
Hike across the most beautiful national parks and nature preserves on the planet. Whatever your fitness or experience level, AllTrails will help you explore new trails with confidence.
Get More with AllTrails Pro!
• Download offline maps – track your exact GPS location as you navigate the trail, even when you don’t have a signal
• Never miss a turn with off-route notifications
• Stay safe with Lifeline – assign safety contacts who know your plan and can track your progress
• Know what to expect with real-time map overlays including air quality, satellite weather, pollen, and light pollution
• Always have a backup – design and print stunning custom topo maps
• Experience AllTrails ad-free – remove the distraction of ads and focus on the journey
• 1% for the Planet – feel good knowing that part of your subscription will be going directly to helping the environment
AllTrails Pro is available as an annual subscription for USD $29.99/year, or you can get three years for the price of two when you buy our 3 Year Plan via a one-time payment of USD $59.99. You can subscribe and pay through your Google Play account. Your annual subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Auto-renew can be turned off anytime by going to your My Subscriptions page on Google Wallet. Access more AllTrails Pro features on our website: https://www.alltrails.com
Sign up required to favorite trails, record your activity, or follow users
We love hearing from our users! Email us here: email@example.com
In order to focus all our effort on our Outdooractive app and website, we currently expect to switch off access to the ViewRanger app at the end of February 2022. We recommend you download and use the Outdooractive app instead of ViewRanger.
If you are already using ViewRanger, we offer you an easy way to move to the Outdooractive app – where you can continue to access your maps, tracks, routes, POIs, and other ViewRanger app data.
Search for “Outdooractive” and download the app for free.
If you made one-off payments to access maps within ViewRanger, then we are offering free access to a set of maps via the Outdooractive app instead. The maps we are offering depend on the region of the maps you made one-off payments for in ViewRanger. The maps will be from the same map data provider or, where necessary, from an alternative map data provider depending on the map region.
If you have a current ViewRanger subscription, then you have an Outdooractive Pro subscription that will expire at the same time as your ViewRanger subscription. You will then need to renew your subscription via the Outdooractive app. It is no longer possible to purchase or renew a ViewRanger subscription.
By connecting your ViewRanger account to Outdooractive, routes you have plotted, routes you have downloaded, activity tracks you have recorded, a record of the challenges you participated in, and points-of-interest you have marked, will continue to be available within your Outdooractive account.
>> OS WEAR by Google
• Navigate trails and view track stats on your wrist with OS Wear enabled smartwatches.
• Record a new track and pause or stop an existing track recording.
• View heading, bearing, lat/long and altitude data.
Free Global maps © OpenStreetMap contributors.
Some features, such as viewing online maps, browsing routes, downloading maps and routes and sharing your location using BuddyBeacon require an internet connection.”