If you are looking for the Best Free Script Writing App For iPhone to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 5 Best Free Script Writing App For iPhone that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 5 Best Free Script Writing App For iPhone, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
5 Best Free Script Writing App For iPhone
1. celtx script
Lean, lightning fast, and fully-featured. Celtx Script makes it easy to write properly formatted scripts on your iPhone or iPad.
-Automatic formatting to Screenplay, A/V, Stageplay, Audioplay, & Comic Book industry standards.
-Add notes & comments to your scripts for yourself or collaborators.
-Autosync: create a free Celtx account and have all your scripts automatically backed up to your online studio. Avoid losing any work due to loss or damage to your mobile device, and get the latest revisions from your writing partners on the fly.”
2. Final Draft Mobile
Final Draft™ Mobile lets you write, edit and read Final Draft scripts on your iPad or iPhone. Create new scripts or edit existing ones with easy-to-use features such as Tab and Enter navigation, ScriptNotes, SmartType, and more.
Easily move your Final Draft 12 scripts from desktop to iPad or iPhone and back again via iCloud, Dropbox, or email. Your scripts will appear perfectly paginated and formatted to industry standards every time.
• Go paperless and carry all your scripts with you everywhere you go
• Send or share your Final Draft FDX file between all your devices and computers. Always be on the same page with Dropbox, OneDrive, or iCloud
• Easily change script elements with classic Tab and Enter functionality or through the Elements bar (iPad) or Menu (iPhone)
• SmartType remembers your character names, scene headings and more
• Multi-language support – Write in over 95 different languages
• Bluetooth keyboard support
• Character Highlighting allows you to keep track of your characters for table reads or character development
• Add, color-code, label, and edit ScriptNotes or General Notes
• Perfectly paginates to US Letter and standard European (A4) page sizes
• Send feedback directly through the app
• Professionally formatted TV, Film, and Stage Play templates to help get you started
• Search your entire script for characters, locations, or other script elements
• Export scripts to PDF via Dropbox, iCloud, or email
• Saves the last page you’re working on to get back to work quickly
• iPhone Page View shows 100% accurate Final Draft pagination, formatting, and line breaking
• Automatic More’s and Continued’s
• Multi-page Title Pages are supported for TV production scripts
• Includes production features like Scene Numbering, Omit Scenes, Colored and Locked Pages
• Shows Active or Collated Revisions with Colored Pages
• Quickly switch from one revision set to another
• Track key information with Cast Reports, Scene Reports, Location Reports, and more
• iPhone Scene Navigator allows you to easily jump to different scenes in your script
• Access all of the tools you need while maintaining context in your script in the iPhone Tools Menu
• Edit your Header and Footer
“Where has this been all my career?!? I put it through its paces doing a rewrite on the go-go-go. Does a great job. This is a real step forward! What more do you need on the road? (Maybe a chauffeur?)”
David Seidler – Writer / Academy Award® winner
The King’s Speech, By Dawn’s Early Light, Tucker: The Man and His Dream…”
3. Highland 2
We’ve taken the tools we built for writing screenplays and made them work for almost every kind of document you write. From novels to blog posts and school reports, Highland’s clean design and innovative tools help you focus on words, not formatting.
With Highland 2.5, we’ve refined every bit of the app while adding incredible new features like Revision Mode and custom themes.
“Highland is just a cleaner, purer way to be creative.” — Phil Lord, Writer/Director of The Lego Movie, 21 & 22 Jump Street
“You won’t find a better app for getting your writing done than Highland 2.” — Jeffery Battersby, iMore
. . . . . . . . F O C U S . . . . . . . .
More Power. Less Distraction.
Highland handles formatting automatically, so you can spend your time finding the perfect word, not the right menu command.
You’ll love working in an editor designed for writing, not mimicking a printed page.
When you want to see the layout, quickly toggle between your text and a preview of the finished document.
With one click, Highland turns your words into a perfectly-formatted document ready to print or export.
. . . . . . . . F E A T U R E S . . . . . . . .
Created by screenwriter and novelist John August, Highland 2 is built by writers, for writers.
– The Navigator. Get an overview of what you’ve written — and what’s left to write.
– Templates. Switch between Highland’s 10 PDF templates including Screenplay, Multi-Cam and Manuscript.
– Revision Mode. (NEW!) Track your changes in different colors, complete with stars in the margin. Available for all documents.
– The Bin. A magical shelf to hold little bits of text you want to keep handy.
– Scratchpad. Keep information or notes outside the document. A great place to store information and instructions for a writing partner or an editor.
– Assets. A handy list of all the images and files imported into your document.
– Themes. Go beyond Dark Mode, with 10 unique themes in a range of styles to suit any mood, or build your own with our Theme Builder. (NEW!)
– Sprints and Goals. Get more written with focused writing sessions.
– Full screen mode. The ultimate distraction-free screenwriting experience.
– In-line notes and synopses. Keep your notes right where you need them.
– Word Analysis. (NEW!) See which words you’re using most frequently and which words aren’t in the dictionary.
– Cheat sheets. Forget how to center something? The answer is a glance away.
. . . . . . . . S C R E E N W R I T E R S . . . . . . . .
– Live Margins. No more tabs. Characters, Parentheticals and Dialogue indent as you type.
– Multi-Cam, Treatment and Comic Book. Templates for things beyond screenplays.
– Character Highlighting. Works in both the Editor and export.
– Gender Analysis. Check the male/female balance in your screenplay.
– Best-in-class PDF Melting. Screenplay PDFs are no longer frozen in carbonite. This was Highland’s breakout feature, and remains unmatched.
. . . . . . . . A D V A N T A G E S . . . . . . . .
Highland is built for today, and the future.
– Speed. From scrolling to previews, Highland is blisteringly fast, using the latest Apple technologies.
– Great typography. Highland features exceptional typography right out of the box. Writers shouldn’t have to look at ugly fonts.
– Standards-leading. Created by the same team that helped forge the Fountain standard, Highland speaks Fountain and Markdown fluently.
– Compatible. Highland is perfect for moving files between Fountain, Final Draft, and PDF formats.
. . . . . . . . S U P P O R T . . . . . . . .
Our in-app “Welcome to Highland” and videos can walk you through features. We also have an extensive FAQ, available both in-app and online:
Send Feedback directly from the Help menu, or reach us online by email at email@example.com, or on Twitter @qapps”
4. Scriptation: PDF for Film & TV
Scriptation, the Emmy winning PDF annotation app for the film, television, and video industry, is the revolutionary app for production that intelligently transfers your annotations, notes, and markups into new script revisions.
Whether you’re a filmmaker on a big budget feature or a student on your first production, Scriptation makes it easy to go paperless, increase your productivity, and save hours of time.
NOTE TRANSFER – THE SCRIPTATION DIFFERENCE
If you’ve ever had 30 revision pages on a 40-page script, you know how time consuming it is to copy your notes to new script pages. Scriptation’s proprietary note transfer algorithm analyzes script changes and transfers every note to its corresponding location in the next draft in literally seconds.
Pen and paper, meet stylus and tablet. Scriptation offers a full set of annotation tools that allow you to highlight text, type notes, add photos, insert stickies, record sound, and more. It’s never been easier to breakdown your script.
You can finally get rid of that 3-ring binder. Scriptation gets you organized by keeping all your scripts, call sheets, schedules, and production documents in a digital production binder.
PAGE MAKER (PRO)
Insert facing pages, set plans, photos, diagrams, and more, and transfer them into new script revisions. You can even ditch paper sides by creating your own with all your notes.
Want to separate notes based on meetings? Or share your thoughts with your department? Scriptation’s annotation layers makes it easy to navigate between sets of notes.
CLOUD CONNECTION (PRO)
Sync between devices by connecting to cloud storage providers including iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive and OneDrive. Scriptation syncs your notes, actor highlights, and inserted pages for use across all of your devices.
That table read script isn’t going to highlight itself. Or is it? Built for actors but customized for sound mixers, Scriptation automatically highlights character lines with the tap of a button.
Automatically transform your script into an easy to read format. Adjust font and size for the ultimate script reading experience.
SCRIPTATION INDUSTRY PRO
Scriptation Industry Pro is an auto-renewing subscription service that offers advanced features to optimize the way you work. When you make the jump to Industry Pro, here’s what you get across all of your devices.
– Cloud Sync
– Pro Note Transfer: Multi-Layer, Collate Pages, Compare Scripts & Bookmark Transfer
– Page Maker
– Sides Creator
– Layer Upgrades: Show/Hide, Shareable Layers
– Reader Upgrades: Highlighting & Scroll
– Saved Annotations
Scriptation Industry Pro has 1 Month and 12 Month subscription options. For offers that include a 14-day free trial, after the free trial period you will be automatically renewed to the current subscription price which you can cancel at any time.
Scriptation Industry Pro automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period.
Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. You may manage Scriptation Industry Pro subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period will be forfeited when you purchase a Scriptation Industry Pro subscription.
5. Scripts Pro – Screenwriting on the Go
The #1 selling iphone movie script writing app in the world is now even better!
Now Fountain Compatible!
100% new revision is Smooth and Beautiful – You will fall in love with writing all over again!
* Featured in New and Noteworthy, In the Director’s Chair
* Featured in New and Noteworthy, Focus on Writing
* Top 100 iPhone and iPad Productivity app in 100+ countries
* “Beautiful new interface makes screenwriting a breeze” – AppAdvice.com
* “Scripts Pro focuses on the creative process, giving you the space and freedom to unleash your full creative energy onto the page.” – iPhone Life Magazine
* ‘Best Filmmaking Apps’ – MovieScope Magazine
* “Use your iPad to write that Oscar winning script anytime, anywhere with Scripts Pro.” – G4TV
Designed for film and television screenwriters – Scripts Pro automatically generates industry standard screenplay formatting so you stay focused on writing.
Scripts Pro imports, exports, and preserves your Final Draft, Celtx, Fountain (*NEW!), and formatted Text files from most desktop script writing software.
Scripts Pro is optimized for both iPad and iPhone. No need to purchase 2 separate versions!
When writing in Scripts Pro you forget about the app and stay focused on your story. There is no cluttered interface or complex inputs to learn.
Create, edit, or review your scripts whenever creativity strikes – in the coffee shop, in the loo, walking your dog, on the metro, in bed when a blockbuster idea strikes – anytime, anywhere!
Fully compatible with Final Draft, Celtx, Fountain (*NEW!), PDF, html, and TXT files.
Uses industry-standard Tab and Return for automatic element insertion (e.g., if you hit “Return” after a Character Name, Scripts Pro will automatically format the next area as Dialogue).
FLEXIBLE FORMAT SUPPORT
– Fully compatible with Final Draft, Celtx, Fountain (*NEW!), PDF, html, and TXT files
FULL iCLOUD INTEGRATION
– All your scripts stay up to date & backed up across all your iOS devices – Automatically.
FULL DROPBOX INTEGRATION
– 1-click Dropbox backup and file sharing
SCRIPT NOTES (*NEW!)
– Insert script notes in areas needing further attention or collaboration input
IOS DICTATION SUPPORT
– Speak your Script into Existence!
SEAMLESSLY IMPORT AND EXPORT FINAL DRAFT AND CELTX FILES
– Formatting, fdx notes, font treatments & index cards are preserved round-trip. You can even work with Movie Magic and Movie Draft using formatted .txt files.
AUTO COMPLETION ENABLED
– Both Script-Specific and iOS Pop Up Suggestions make writing faster and less tedious
– Clean Uncluttered Layout in Portrait and Landscape
SCRIPT PICTURE PREVIEW (*NEW!)
– Attach an image to a Script for easy visual association
FULL PAPERLESS SUPPORT
– Import & Export from Dropbox, iTunes, iCloud, History, and Email via FDX, Fountain (*NEW!), PDF and more
SCRIPT VERSION HISTORY
– Access earlier Script versions from our unique History mode – Your own Script Time Machine!
READER / PREVIEW MODE
– See your scripts in exact Studio format with accurate page numbering
EASY SCRIPT EDITING AND NAVIGATION
– Intuitive features include 1-touch scene and character switching, icon toolbar, intuitive Tab and Return buttons, and more
BLUETOOTH KEYBOARD SUPPORT
– Use your external Bluetooth keyboard to hammer out that award winning script anytime, anywhere
– Wirelessly print scripts from your iDevice
POWERFUL SCRIPT ENGINE
– Robust rendering engine provides blazing fast desktop-like performance with no lags
– Our team is here for you 24/7 – Email us with questions, suggestions, or to just say “Hi” at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for letting us help you write that Hollywood blockbuster movie script with the ultimate screenwriting tool for the iPad and iPhone – Scripts Pro!