If you are looking for the Best iPhone App For Running to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 5 Best iPhone App For Running that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 5 Best iPhone App For Running, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
5 Best iPhone App For Running
1. Map My Run by Under Armour
“Whether you’re just starting out on your fitness journey or a seasoned runner, you’ll find the features and tools needed to stay on track and motivated to hit your goals. Get customizable Training Plans, personalized coaching tips to make running feel easier, and more. Stay inspired with a community of over 60 million athletes all supporting your shared commitment to health and fitness.
– Named Top 10 Apps for Runners by The Guardian
– Featured in the NY Times, TechCrunch, Wired, & TIME
– Voted Best Running App Readers’ Choice on About.com
CONNECT WITH APPS AND WEARABLES
– Track runs directly from your Apple Watch app and get visual, haptic, and audio progress updates in real-time.
– Connect Under Armour connected shoes to the app and wearable devices for a Premium experience, more data to improve your run, and route tracking.
– Sync with the latest apps and most wearables, including Apple Health, Apple Watch, Garmin, and more.
– Take control of nutrition by connecting with MyFitnessPal for a comprehensive look at your calorie intake and burn.
TRACK AND MAP YOUR WORKOUTS
– Log over 600+ activities with the largest selection of activities, including: running, cycling, walking, gym workouts, cross training, yoga, and more.
– Get real-time audio coaching on GPS-tracked runs, with customizable voice for stats like pace, distance, and elevation.
– Connect with 400+ devices to import and analyze all your data in one place.
– Use Routes to find nearby places to run, save your favorite paths, add new ones, and share with others.
TRAIN LIKE A PRO WITH MVP PREMIUM FEATURES
– Unlock the best tools to turn your goals into achievable plans with a Premium membership.
– Use Live Tracking to share real-time running location and give loved ones peace of mind.
– Execute Training Plans and reach weight loss or distance goals with personalized plans that adapt dynamically to your fitness level as you improve.
– Monitor & analyze heart rate zones to adjust your training based on goals.
– Set a goal for your run and stay on track with audio coach updates, including pace, cadence, distance, duration, calories, and more.
If you upgrade to a premium MVP subscription, payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. The monthly subscription costs USD 5.99 per month, while the yearly subscription costs USD 29.99 per year, or USD 2.50 per month. Your subscription renews automatically unless canceled at least 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. There is no increase in cost when renewing.
Subscriptions can be managed and auto-renewal turned off in Account Settings in iTunes after purchase. Once purchased, the current period cannot be canceled. Any unused portion of a free trial period is forfeited if you choose to purchase a premium subscription to MVP.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Apple Health permissions allow us to track your heart rate accurately, update activity rings, and save your workout data.”
2. Nike Run Club: Running Coach
From expert coaches to an incredible community – the Nike Run Club running app has what you need to start running, keep running, and enjoy running more. Pace running tracker, Guided Runs**, running coach, km tracker and more await.
Join the Nike community and begin running with Training Plans* to fit your needs. With Guided Runs** and training tips picked out by our coaches – you have all the resources necessary to help you meet your running goals. Enjoy the journey with running app motivation and guidance from top Nike coaches and athletes as they cheer you on. Half marathon training or just getting started – regardless of the goal – NRC has you covered.
With NRC’s Guided Runs**, our expert coaches – and some Nike legends – have got your back, with encouragement, guidance, and a familiar voice to look forward to every time. Easy or hard, long or short, intervals, 5k or 10k – there’s a Guided Run** for you.
Create and share challenges with friends to up your pace, distance and mentality or join one of our global challenges and run for a bigger purpose. Running app communities make the distance all the more rewarding so you never feel alone on your fitness journey.
Run alongside the Nike community and reach your goals with NRC.
RUN TRACKER: TRACK AND STORE RUNS
• Running speed, distance, GPS route, elevation, heart rate and km splits are tracked and stored while you enjoy your run
• 5k, 10k or Half Marathon – Keep a log of your personal records with our run tracker
• Pace & KM Tracker functionality allow you to keep up with your goals
• Activity tracker syncs with your Apple watch and supported devices to provide constant support
TRAINING PLANS AND GUIDED RUNS
• NRC Training Plans give you a goal to run toward and the guidance to reach it*
• Running for beginners to regulars – whether you’re just getting started or race-ready – NRC has interactive plans for your goals and fitness level
• Running coach guidance with NRC’s Guided Runs so that you’re never running by yourself**
• Get motivation and inspiration from Nike coaches, elite athletes and entertainers like Eliud Kipchoge and Tom Sachs with Audio Guided Runs**
• Receive motivating in-run audio cheers from friends and send them support with cheers of your own
MOTIVATE YOURSELF WITH CHALLENGES
• 5K to 10K and beyond – earn milestone badges and trophies for streaks and smashing personal bests
• Join or share public running challenges with your friends via any social media or messaging platform
• Beat running bests and get a virtual high five from your worldwide run club
• Run in weekly and monthly NRC distance challenges or create a Challenge and invite your friends
• Reach goals, earn achievements and go the distance.
• Track the mileage on all your shoes, even if they aren’t Nikes
• Running pace can be recorded for each pair – learn which ones you run the fastest in
• Enjoy training, distance runs, intervals and more – when you’ve worn them out, we will remind you when to switch them for a new pair
• Training made easy: receive holistic training advice, community stories and an occasional product drop
• Improve as a runner before you even lace up – tips for healthy living, marathon training, fitness and more
• Stay up to date on your friends’ fitness journeys every time they upload and share a run
• Personalise activity posts by adding photos, stats and stickers and tailor who sees them
Nike Run Club will cheer you on, stride after stride. Download today.
Nike Run Club works with Apple Health to sync workouts and record heart-rate data.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can decrease battery life.
Apple Music: used to access music library to play music during workouts.
*Training Plans available in the US, UK, JP, CN, BR, FR, DE, ES, IT.
**Guided Runs available in select countries.”
3. Pacer Pedometer & Step Tracker
“Pacer is like having a walking buddy and health coach in one app. You can track all your activities in one beautifully intuitive interface. And you’ll get motivation and support from our amazing Pacer community. Pacer’s fun challenges, amazing data insights, outdoor routes, personalized fitness plans and guided workouts will help you achieve your unique fitness goals. Be active and feel great anywhere, any time!
Hear what some of our users are saying:
“Really like this highly addictive app…” ~Sparky731
“Best app I’ve ever used helping me lose a few pounds a week…” ~Gerryofkellys
“…I’m just grateful to this app for being a major catalyst to my health and fitness transformation… my husband and I have lost well over 100lbs” ~LaToya M
“…I’ve lost 20 lbs in the last 3 months by just trying to beat my walking distance daily at work. I love the daily goal. Cheaper and better than a gym membership and a 1000x’s more effective!” ~Covette92
GET STARTED RIGHT AWAY FOR FREE
-No wristband or other hardware required. Works entirely from your phone with no additional setup
TRACK ALL YOUR ACTIVITY
-Tracks your steps all day long whether your phone is in your hand, in your pocket, in your jacket, on an armband or in your purse
-Link to Apple Health to track with your Apple Watch
-Records steps, flights, calories, distance and active time
-Use GPS to track your outdoor walking, hiking, running and biking on a map
LOSE WEIGHT & GET FIT
-Track your weight and BMI over time, and correlate changes with your activity and other vitals
STAY MOTIVATED WITH FAMILY & FRIENDS
-Create walking groups with your friends and family to compare daily steps in real-time
-Connect with friends using iPhone or any other smartphones
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
-Stay motivated and on track with day-by-day Goals
-Support and motivate other users who share your goals
***Other Great Features***
-Syncs steps and calories with MyFitnessPal
-Syncs your data to Apple Health App
-Link to Apple Health to sync data from your Apple Watch
-Track your blood pressure along with activity and weight
-Create plans and set daily goals for yourself
-Based on science: track your metrics against standards provided by the World Health Organization, American Heart Association and President’s Fitness Council.
Other apps can track your walks, hikes, runs or workout sessions, but no other app can give you this level of comprehensive activity tracking and insight all on your iPhone with such a simple interface. Before you spend your money on an expensive wearable device, try Pacer first!
And remember, stay active!
***GET BETTER RESULTS WITH PACER PREMIUM***
Unlock powerful tools to help you reach your health goals.
-Scientifically designed guided workouts
-Weight loss coaching program
-Advanced data reports and insights
Subscriptions to Pacer Premium are $9.99 per month or $49.99 for a full year. Pacer Premium subscriptions will be charged to your iTunes account after your confirmation of purchase.
You can use your iTunes account to subscribe and pay for Pacer Premium. Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Subscriptions will renew automatically unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the current period ends. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, and will renew at the same cost. You can manage subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your iTunes Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that service, where applicable.
***Location Based Services ***
This app has an optional feature for more accurate tracking that makes use of iOS’s location based services.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background may dramatically decrease battery life.”
4. Runkeeper—Distance Run Tracker
“Reach your running goals with the ASICS Runkeeper™ app. Track exercise, set measurable goals and see progress along the way—whether you’re just getting into running, training for a race or trying to reach a new personal record, we can help.
MOTIVATION TO MOVE
• Track workouts: Record activities like running, walking, biking, hiking and more manually or with GPS.
• Set goals: Maybe you want to get faster, run farther or lose a little weight. No matter your goal, we’ll help you reach it.
•Listen to audio: Choose the stats you want to hear during your activity like pace, distance, and time (available in five additional motivating voices in English), plus Apple Music and Spotify integration
• Follow a plan: Routines lead to progress. Choose a personalized plan that will help get you out the door, day after day.
• Stay motivated: Join in-app challenges, get exercise rewards, participate in virtual running groups and share achievements.
• See progress: It’s what this is all about. We’ll log your stats to show you how you’re progressing against your running goals.
SYNC WITH EASE
• Apple Watch integration: Leave your phone at home and still track stats.
• Bluetooth connectivity: connect wireless headphones and heart-rate monitors.
• Fitness tracker integration: Connect your Garmin, Fitbit and other styles in seconds.
• Apple Health integration: Connect to share your Runkeeper workout details (including calories, route, and heart rate) to Apple Health and sync your Health measurements to Runkeeper.
• Partner apps: Connect with other top health apps like Fitbit, MyFitnessPal and more.
UPGRADE YOUR PERFORMANCE
Get the Runkeeper GO™ premium membership for more effective ways to reach your fitness goals, from 5Ks to marathons.
Strategize for your next race by taking advantage of tailored race-training plans designed to help you run stronger and faster for race day.
Compare your workouts with a variety of detailed progress insights and live tracking to closely monitor your training along the way.
*Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
5. “Strava: Run, Ride, Swim”
Whether you’re training for a marathon or simply love taking your bike out for a ride, turn your smartphone or GPS watch into a sophisticated tracker with Strava. Join millions of athletes and active people and reach your fitness goals!
3 Ways to Train Smarter with Strava
TRACK & ANALYSE: Get key stats like distance, pace, speed, elevation gained & calories burned
NEW ROUTES & MAPS: Mix up your training with the world’s largest trail network
CHALLENGE & COMPETE: Push yourself with monthly Challenges & compete with others
Compare your running, cycling and swimming performance over time
Segment leaderboard: see how you fare on popular stretches of road or trail
Track your progress & analyse your performance on your iPhone, Apple Watch, or pretty much any GPS device out there! Use your Garmin, FitBit or Polar..
CONNECT & SHARE
Record your bike ride on your Strava feed so friends & followers can comment & share their own
Join Clubs of brands, teams and friends for activities & growing communities
Show off your route & share photos of your adventures
Get customizable training & workout plans. Run that marathon or set your own distance, time or segment goals
Get live feedback to help you train safer & perform better
Dive deep into your data with advanced analysis & extensive performance metrics
It doesn’t stop with running or cycling, you can track a whole range of sports with Strava:
• Gym training
• Rock Climb
…and many more!
Strava uses HealthKit to export your Strava activities into the Health app and to read heart rate and biometric data.
You can subscribe and pay through your iTunes account. Payment will be charged to iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renew may be turned off after purchase by going to the ‘Manage Subscription’ page in settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable. The subscription will renew at the same cost.
Terms of service: https://www.strava.com/legal/terms