If you are looking for the Best iPhone App For Sailing to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 5 Best iPhone App For Sailing that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 5 Best iPhone App For Sailing, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
5 Best iPhone App For Sailing
1. ASA’s Sailing Challenge
“ASA’s Sailing Challenge (for iPhone/iPad) includes six fun, easy-to-use modules that unlock the mysteries of sailing. Learn Points of Sail, Apparent Wind, Sail Trim, Tacking and Jibing, Rules of the Road, and Docking. Then, put it all together when you sail around a course against the clock in the Sailing module.
Sailing Challenge combines the most innovative thinking in the digital education field with ASA’s experience in teaching sailing to create a game that lets players climb aboard, take control of the tiller in one hand and the mainsheet in the other, and sail off on a virtual sea of fun. When the ASA says the fun starts here, we really mean it!”
2. Boating Marine & Lakes
“Let us be your guide. An indispensable app for cruising, fishing, sailing, diving and all your activities on the water. Get the same detailed marine and lake nautical charts and advanced features as on the best GPS plotters, and more.
> TRY FOR FREE: Download the app and try all charts and features for a limited time.
> SUBSCRIBE: Start your 1-year subscription to:
– Download chart layers for offline use (permanent)
– Access daily updates, chart overlays and advanced features (renewable)
Use your subscription across your compatible smartphones and tablets by logging in to the Boating app with the same account.
THE SUBSCRIPTION INCLUDES:
> CHART LAYERS FOR OFFLINE USE
– NAUTICAL CHART: A comprehensive cartography resource for lakes, rivers and marine areas.
– SONARCHART™: An exclusive 1’ (0.5 meters) HD bathymetry map features extraordinary bottom contour detail enhanced by millions of sonar logs contributed by boaters.
– COMMUNITY EDITS and ACTIVECAPTAIN® COMMUNITY: Crowd-sourced local information and points of interest shared by the Navionics® and Garmin ActiveCaptain boating communities.
– U.S. GOVERNMENT CHARTS (NOAA): Available with the following coverage areas: U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Caribbean to Brazil, Pacific Islands, Asia and Africa.
> DAILY CHART UPDATES: The latest charts are available via download, with up to 5,000 updates every day.
– CHART OVERLAYS
SONARCHART SHADING: A detailed rendering of the seafloor and lake bottoms in varying shades of blue offers a unique perspective of underwater topography at a glance.
RELIEF SHADING: Highly detailed shading combines color and shadow to provide an easy-to-interpret, clearer view of bottom structure.
SONAR IMAGERY: Shows bottom hardness in vivid color to easily identify transition areas. Available on select U.S. lakes.
TERRAIN: Shows roads and useful points of interest on land.
SATELLITE: Satellite images provided by a third party.
– DOCK-TO-DOCK AUTOROUTING*: Start your trip with a suggested route based on chart data and navigation aids for advanced route planning that offers ETA, distance to arrival, heading to waypoint, fuel consumption and more.
– CONNECTIONS: Stay in touch with friends and fellow boaters on and off the water. Share your profile, tracks, routes, markers and live location with your boating community.
ADVANCED MAP OPTIONS: Customize your chart views to change chart-overlay combination, highlight shallow areas, target multiple fishing ranges and more.
– WEATHER AND TIDES: Access real-time weather data, daily and hourly forecasts, as well as wind, weather buoys, tides and currents overlaid on your map.
– GPX IMPORT/EXPORT: Easily handle your tracks, routes and markers. Share, store and display them on various apps, plotters and other compatible devices.
– AIS: Connect the app to a compatible AIS receiver with Wi-Fi® connectivity to see nearby marine traffic overlaid on the map in real time. No internet connection needed.
-PLOTTER SYNC: Transfer routes and markers, update charts and more to compatible plotters.
-TIMELINE: Enjoy looking back at your trips in the track timeline.
After 1 year, you can renew your subscription or keep using your maps with free features.
-SONARCHART™ LIVE: Create your own 1’ (0.5 meters) HD bathymetry maps that display in real time while navigating. Connect the Boating app wirelessly to a compatible sonar/plotter. You can also automatically share your sonar logs, which helps us improve charts.
-Includes track, route, markers, share location and more.
Updates are available with iOS 12.0 or higher. An iPad® device with Wi-Fi connectivity locates your approximate position if it is connected to Wi-Fi. An iPad Wi-Fi + 3G model operates similarly to an iPhone device with GPS.
*Autorouting is for planning purposes only and does not replace safe navigation operations.
Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.”
“Marine navigation is made easy with iNavX – the world’s #1 handheld Chartplotter. Access marine charts, maps, weather, AIS and more!
iNavX is the only app to give you complete worldwide chart coverage, from all your favorite charts providers, including the ALL NEW iNavX Professional+ Global Chart! Fully enabled with one-touch access, iNavX gives users access to the broadest set of marine charts and maps from multiple providers including:
• iNavX Professional+ Charts
• Blue Latitude
• Theyr Weather
• Waterway Guide
• … and more
How does iNavX take handheld marine navigation to the next level?
• Sailors – Plan sailing routes with waypoint and route management. Get proactive sail management with GRIB weather forecasts and then keep watch with AIS overlays and integration with your onboard systems. Plus, you can remember your great sailing locations by geotagging photos.
• Boaters – Stay up to date on boating conditions with forecasts that include currents, winds, and swells. Manage your boating equipment with nautical instrument integration and then save great boating routes to share with the track log.
• Anglers – Discover new fishing spots by scouting out holes and inlets. Locate the best fishing conditions by identifying cold fronts and save your best fishing spots with unlimited markers.
Advanced features – iNavX is the most feature rich app available for all sailing and boating needs at a great price:
Advanced Chart Plotter
• Plot your position in real-time using your device’s built-in GPS
• Pan, zoom, and rotate charts (including course up)
• Print detailed charts to use in combination with the app
• Create waypoints and plan routes to navigate between them
• Track log allows you to record your route
• Import/export data in KML (Google Earth) or GPX format
• Supports NMEA data over TCP/IP (using Wifi)
• Integrates with external GPS, AIS receivers & transponders
• Connect nautical instruments: Depth, Speed, Wind, Engine, Batteries, etc.
• GRIB weather forecast
• Anchor alarm
• AIS integration
• Port/navaid search
Download iNavX TODAY and automatically receive a complimentary copy of the official and up-to-date high-resolution NOAA RNC United States marine raster charts.
“iNavX is the original and still one of the best navigation apps.”
– Practical Sailor
“The most full-featured navigation app around and viewed by many as the standard”
– Sail Magazine
“The #1 recommended marine charting app”
iNavX is Compatible with: C-MAP, Theyr Weather, Waterway Guide, AIS, Brookhouse, DigitalYacht, ShipModul, vYacht, Vesper Marine, NMEA 2000, Chetco and more.
NEW CHART STORE
Purchase all your favorite charts. Chart subscriptions vary by chart and provider from $9.99 to $199.99 annually, charged to your iTunes Account, which will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Auto-renew can be turned off anytime by going to your Account Settings in iTunes after purchase. No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
NOTE: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
User’s Guide: http://inavx.com/help/
4. Marine Assistance
“MARINE ASSISTANCE®, leader européen dans l’assistance dépannage de bateau à quai et en mer, à crée MARINE ASSISTANCE APPS.
L’appli MARINE ASSISTANCE APPS est un utilitaire gratuit très pratique pour tous les plaisanciers qu’ils soient clients ou non au service de dépannage de bateaux proposé par la société MARINE ASSISTANCE®.
Grâce à cette application, vous pourrez :
-Vous localiser directement sur une carte et y consulter, en un coup d’œil, votre vitesse (nœuds), votre cap et votre position GPS.
-Envoyer directement votre demande d’assistance en cas de panne par un message géo localisé ou appeler directement notre plateau d’assistance en veille 24H/24 et 7J/7.
-Contacter directement les services de secours en mer (CROSS) les plus proches en cas de détresse. Votre position GPS vous est auparavant rappelée afin d’améliorer la rapidité des secours éventuels,
-Consulter la météo marine de votre zone de navigation,
-Partager votre position avec vos proches et même y insérer une photo ! De plus vous pourrez aussi partager en direct vos aventures maritimes avec vos amis sur Twitter ou Facebook !
-Pour les clients au service MARINE ASSISTANCE®, vous pourrez renseigner vos coordonnées précises afin que toutes vos demandes soient traitées avec la meilleure efficacité.
Des Marins au service des Marins…
MARINE ASSISTANCE®, votre équipier le plus fidèle, vous souhaite de bonnes navigations.”
5. “Waterspeed Sail, Paddle, Surf”
“Whether you Sail, SUP, Windsurf, Kitesurf, Kayak, Foil, or any other watersport, Waterspeed turns your iPhone or Apple Watch into a performance tracking device by using your GPS. Stats and activities are shown in real-time and collected within a diary after each session, ready to be analyzed.
Designed for iOS devices, Waterspeed presents an independent app for Apple Watch, allowing you to keep your phone out of the water.
Waterspeed also includes a countdown so you can accurately track race starts and regattas.
* Designed for Sailing, Windsurf, Kite, Paddle SUP, Kayak, Powerboat, Jet Ski, Surf, Outrigging, Windfoil, Waterskiing, Wakeboard, Rowing, Kitefoil, Hydrofoil, Foil, Wing, Canoe, Dragon, Pedal, Jet Surfing, Surfski, Strapless, Tiki, Ice Sailing, Snow Kite.
* You can check the weather and tides forecast 6 days/1 hour in your spot with temperature (°C/°F) and wind speed/gust.
* You can review your performances within the single track, point by point, or with Statistics and the new Graph tool.
* Waterspeed works on iPad too, with automatic sync between devices.
More than 150,000 Sailors, Kitesurfers, Windsurfers, Paddlers, Kayakers, Wakeboarders use Waterspeed every day. Give it a try!
Everything you need for FREE:
• Real-time Speed, Heading, Trajectories, Max speed, Distance, Pace
• Full view with big numbers
• Logbook of all activities with Stats, Totals, and Graphs
• Review saved tracks point-by-point with Speed, Colours, Duration, Max speed, Speed avg, Linear Distance, and other stats
• Beaufort Wind scale
• Add Equipment to your tracks (Board, Sail, Fin, Boat, Kayak etc)
• Drop 2 marks and get statistics of a single length, cut, or export
• View speed and units in Kn, Miles, Km
• Choose your sport
• Pace calculation
• Split duration, Max speed, and Avg speed by 500m, 1KM, 1NM, 1 Mi
• Basic Backup on Apple iCloud Drive
• Health App and Activity integration and save Map/Route
• Automatic sync from Watch to iPhone
• Crown to Start, Stop and Pause (useful when the watch is wet)
• Save the number of maneuvers, wind speed, angle, comment, and mood
• Force touch menu on Apple Watch for an easy start
• Activity list on Watch
• Social sharing
Make the most with the PRO version:
• Cloud sync between iPad and iPhone
• Cloud backup
• Compare and Overlay 2 tracks
• Merge activities
• Check the weather and tides forecast 6 days/1 hour in your spot with temperature (°C/°F), wind speed, and gust
• Automatic Wind detection, saved in the track
• Countdown for Regatta on Apple Watch and iPhone/iPad with sound and vibration
• Send to iPad
• Export to GPX for Strava, Relive, Garmin, Google, GPSAR
• Export to CSV/Excel file
• Play your track and see the video of your performance
• Unlimited number of activities saved in the logbook
• Fastest Speed for 2, 5, 10, 20 seconds, 500 meters, 1 KM, and 1 NM
• Continued update and new features every month
Waterspeed FREE version saves up to 5 activities. PRO version is available with an auto-renewable subscription of a duration of 1 month, 3 months, or 1 year via in-app purchase to unlock all features. Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. The account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user’s Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
The subscription is valid on any Apple device sharing the same iCloud account (you just need 1 purchase for all devices).
Terms of Service:
Contact us at email@example.com.
Please note: continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease your battery life.”