If you are looking for the Best iPhone Apps For Academic Research to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 8 Best iPhone Apps For Academic Research that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 8 Best iPhone Apps For Academic Research, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
8 Best iPhone Apps For Academic Research
Use the app to:
– Discover, read and save new research
– See who has mentioned you in their work.
– See who is reading you papers and profiles.
– Search for scholarly research on thousands of topics.
– Find and connect with like-minded scholars
– See what friends and colleagues are working on
Academia.edu has over 23 million academic papers to explore from by millions of researchers around the world. Download the app to access your Academia.edu account whenever and wherever your curiosity strikes.
2. Academic Browser
“The Academic Browser accelerates your research process. It delivers faster access to licensed research material by providing quick and simple access to your library’s licensed resources whenever, wherever you’re doing research on your iPad or iPhone.
When you come across a resource, eBook or article your library licenses or could gain access to, the browser will notify you. After that, you can access the resource with one click.
Take full advantage of the resources your library provides while getting the added benefit of open access materials when you hit a barrier (which is probably more than you think).
After installing Academic Browser, click the Library Icon in the top of the browser, select your institution, and you’re good to go!
• WORKS OFF-CAMPUS: Use off campus for seamless access to your institute’s licensed materials.
• MOBILE SOLUTION: Works on iPad and iPhone to help you continue your research wherever you are.
• WORKS WITHOUT VPN: No VPN needed.
• SURF AS YOU ALWYS DO: Familiar user interface, look and feel.
• FUNCTIONALITY YOU ARE USED TO: Provides the same functionality you are used to in the Library Access extension
• PRIVACY: Does not collect personal data.”
3. Airmail Gmail Outlook Mail App
Airmail is a powerful mail client for Mac, now available for iPhone and iPad.
Designed for the latest generation iOS, it supports 3D Touch, fast document previewing, high quality PDF creation, and native integration with other apps and services for a frictionless workflow.
Workflow customization is at the core, with a rich feature set like snooze, interactive push notifications, and full inbox sync.
iCloud sync provides a fully ubiquitous experience so that all your accounts and app preferences are synced.
– Support for Gmail, Exchange EWS, Outlook 365, IMAP and POP3
– Apple Watch app with glance and interactive notifications
– Customizable swipes
– Threads and single messages
– Snooze messages
– Bulk editing
– iCloud sync between Mac and iOS
– Multiple signatures
– Unified inbox
– Push notifications
– Multiple Accounts
– 3D Touch quick access
– 3D Touch Peek and Pop
– Spotlight search for documents and messages
– Share composer extension
– iCloud sync for labels, preferences and accounts across Mac and iOS
– Handoff between Mac and iOS
– Notifcation Based on Locations
**** “Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.”
SEARCH AND FILTERS
– Online search
– Filter by Unread, Starred, Conversation, Today and Smart
– Quick access to the messages of one sender
– Quick per account single folder access
LABELS AND FOLDERS
– Full label access
– Per single labels sync
– Quick access to recent labels
– Favorite labels
– Full label creation and editing
– Document view with rich preview
– Unread, Today, Conversations and Contacts
– HTML rich composer
– Attachment resizing
– Document import from Dropbox, Google Drive and much more
– Signature swipes
– Composer extension
– Online drafts
– Send and Archive
– Undo actions
– Move messagees between accounts
– Multiple signature
– Operations view
– Attachments view
– Contacts view
– Mark as unread on open
– Google Directory Search
– Exchange Global Address List
– Contacts Group messages
– Auto CC/BCC
– Profile icons
– Highlight subject
– Account colors
– Preview message lines
– Remote images
– Snooze defer messages
– Move and Labels
– Mark as Unread, Starred, Spam
– Send to Calendar
– Send to iOS Extension
– Create a searchable PDF
– Transfer to a different account
– Universal link Mac/iOS
– Add to sender to VIP
– Empty Trash and Spam
– Mark entire mailbox as read
– Google Drive
Open Links in:
– Safari in-app
Send to Apps and Service:
– Calendars Invites
– Apple Calendar
– Apple Reminder
– Fantastical 2
– Draft 4
– iA Writer
– Code Hub
Airmail does NOT store your messages on our servers.
Server processing is very limited and performed only if users enable Realtime Mailbox Monitoring.
Airmail is an auto renewable subscription:
– Unified Inbox
– Multiple Accounts
– Block Email Tracking Pixel
– Agenda Integration
– Realtime Inbox Monitoring
– Backend Services, Snooze, Send Later
– Premium Support
$2.99 monthly, $9.99 annually
Price may vary by location and active promotion. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Manage your subscriptions in Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
Terms of Service: https://airmailapp.com/eulaios”
4. Evernote – Notes Organizer
Evernote syncs to all your devices, so you can stay productive on the go. Tackle your to-do list with Tasks, connect your Google Calendar to stay on top of your schedule, and see your most relevant information quickly with a customizable Home dashboard.
“Use Evernote as the place you put everything… Don’t ask yourself which device it’s on—it’s in Evernote” – The New York Times
“When it comes to taking all manner of notes and getting work done, Evernote is an indispensable tool.” – PC Mag
• Write, collect, and capture ideas as searchable notes, notebooks, and to-do lists.
• Clip interesting articles and web pages to read or use later.
• Add different types of content to your notes: text, docs, PDFs, sketches, photos, audio, web clippings, and more.
• Use your camera to scan and organize paper documents, business cards, whiteboards, and handwritten notes.
• Manage your to-do list with Tasks—set due dates and reminders, so you never miss a deadline.
• Connect Evernote and Google Calendar to bring your schedule and your notes together.
• See your most relevant information instantly on the Home dashboard.
• Create separate notebooks to organize receipts, bills, and invoices.
• Find anything fast—Evernote’s powerful search can even find text in images and handwritten notes.
• Sync your notes and notebooks automatically across any computer, phone, or tablet.
• Start work on one device and continue on another without missing a beat.
EVERNOTE IN EVERYDAY LIFE
• Keep a journal to keep your thoughts organized.
• Go paperless by scanning receipts and important documents.
EVERNOTE IN BUSINESS
• Keep everyone up to date by capturing meeting notes and sharing notebooks with your team.
• Bring people, projects, and ideas together with shared Spaces.
EVERNOTE IN EDUCATION
• Keep track of lecture notes, exams, and assignments so you don’t miss important details.
• Create notebooks for each class and keep everything organized.
Also available from Evernote:
• 10 GB of new uploads each month
• Unlimited number of devices
• Create and manage tasks
• Connect one Google Calendar account
• Access your notes and notebooks offline
• 20 GB of new uploads each month
• Unlimited number of devices
• Create, manage, and assign tasks
• Connect multiple Google Calendar accounts
• Access your notes and notebooks offline
• Home dashboard – Full customization
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Where applicable, your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Subscriptions may not be cancelled for refund except as provided in Evernote’s Commercial Terms. Manage your subscriptions in Account Settings after purchase.
Terms of Service: https://evernote.com/legal/tos.php
Commercial terms: https://evernote.com/legal/commercial-terms”
5. GoodReader PDF Editor & Viewer
In the modern app business, it’s not easy to stay relevant that long. We’re proud to say that after 12 years and counting, we’ve been delivering wonderful updates with extraordinary new features. And we’re going to keep doing that!
GoodReader is a perfect combination of document-reading and file-managing capabilities. It’s your one-stop shop for all your document needs on your iOS device.
Use the app once, and you’ll be hooked. Soon you’ll be wondering how you ever managed to work without it.
-= File Reading =-
PDF, TXT, MS Office, iWork, HTML, pictures, music & audio-books, videos. This is what you can view in GoodReader, plus you can also annotate PDF files and edit TXT files.
-= PDF Reading and Annotating =-
PDF files is where GoodReader truly shines. Reading experience is so superior, it’s hard to describe. To rephrase one of our customers’ review, “try it, and you’ll see.” While you’re at it, give our PDF Reflow feature a try. You’ll be surprised how much better PDF reading goes when you don’t have to scroll left/right all the time, for every single line of text.
Annotating PDFs is another star feature of our app. Adding notes and drawings, highlighting text, and then sharing your annotated files or annotation summaries will be your main productivity and collaboration asset.
-= File Management =-
While reading files is a big part of GoodReader, it’s not all it can do. It can also serve as a central hub for all your files, even those that can’t be opened by GoodReader itself. It’s like bringing your personal computer experience to your mobile device — easily managing huge collections of files and folders will make you forget you don’t have your laptop around.
-= Connecting =-
Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, Box.com, WebDAV, SMB, AFP, FTP, SFTP — these are all accessible from inside GoodReader. Download, upload, and sync (*) individual files or huge folder collections.
-= Security =-
With GoodReader, your data security steps up to the level previously only dreamt of. With Pro Pack® (*), our new set of professional-level super-features, you’ll get AES-256, a military-grade encryption, for all your data, at a price of a cup of coffee! And it’s completely independent from the built-in Apple’s Data Protection, so even if a hacker steals and unlocks your device, your data will still be protected by another strong layer of security, our own.
-= Split-Screen =-
This wonderful feature allows you to split (*) an iPad screen in half, to read two files side-by-side. And even two different parts of the same file!
(*): This feature requires a subscription to Pro Pack®, sold separately from inside the app as an in-app purchase.”
Apple Editors’ Choice and top ranked app worldwide on App Store, regularly #1.
Students, teachers, artists, and professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. Notes are just the beginning; find inspiration, capture ideas, and unleash your creativity with Notability.
CREATE MEMORABLE MULTI-MEDIA NOTES
• Work with a variety of note-taking, journaling, and drawing tools like ink, highlighter, text, and audio.
• Mark up imported textbooks, documents, lecture slides, class assignments, and images.
• Instantly create notes from a selection of templates with customizable spacing and backgrounds.
• Explore endless ideas with continuous page scroll.
• Add photos, GIFs, web pages, and more.
STAY ORGANIZED, PAPER-FREE
• Always keep your notes with you, without the weight, the hassle or the paper waste.
• Group notes with customizable subjects and dividers.
HANDWRITE AND SKETCH NATURALLY
• Ink is fine-tuned for the Apple Pencil for the most responsive, precise writing experience yet, including double-tap gesture for switching tools, erasing, and more.
• Precisely erase freehand ink or shapes with varied brush sizes.
• Quickly switch between ink or eraser styles with the Favorites Toolbar.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Replay audio recordings and tap anywhere on your note to hear what was said at that moment.
SHARE IDEAS IN PRESENTATION MODE
• Present ideas in full screen without distracting toolbars when connected to an external display.
• Engage an audience with all of Notability’s tools including a Laser Pointer.
DO MORE WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Work with two notes side-by-side.
• Quickly switch between notes and Drag & Drop handwriting, typed text, images, etc.
• Full-featured, left-aligned typing with word count and a wide range of fonts, custom fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more.
• Easily create searchable multi-page PDFs using the built-in Document Scanner.
FIND AND SHARE INSPIRATION
• Publish your notes for the world to see in the Notability Gallery.
• Browse notes from the community, search topics/tags, save your favorites for later, and download notes!
Download Notability for free on iPad, Mac, and iPhone and enjoy the Notability experience with limited editing and features.
Unlock unlimited note taking and premium content with a Notability annual subscription. Subscribers have access to:
• Unlimited edits, Auto Backup support, and iCloud sync.
• MyScript Handwriting Recognition and Math Conversion technology.
• Premium content like academic planners, journals, stickers, and much more!
Subscription auto-renews unless cancelled, and will be charged via Apple iTunes account on an annual basis. Prices may vary by location. You can manage your subscription in account settings after purchase. Family Sharing is not supported.
For technical assistance reach out to our team at email@example.com
Visit notability.com to learn more, or connect with us @notabilityapp on Instagram and Twitter.
Terms of Service: https://notability.com/terms
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.”
“Get a head start for you research and finally beat the paper chaos on your desk. With Paperpile you have all your research PDFs in one place — nice and tidy. Paperpile makes it easier than ever to collect, manage, read, and annotate your papers.
FIND & COLLECT
– Search millions of papers from 20,000+ academic journals right in the app.
– Add new papers to your collection with one tap and the PDF will be downloaded automatically.
– Save directly from your browser to your Paperpile library
– User your university’s off-campus proxy access to get restricted content behind paywalls.
MANAGE & ORGANIZE
– Bring structure to your library with folders and subfolders
– Organize your library visually with colored labels
– Mark important papers with stars.
– Search your library to find the paper you need fast.
READ & ANNOTATE
– Read like on paper with a fast and slick PDF viewer experience
– Highlight important sections in different colors
– Add notes and never forget an important idea.
– Add hand-drawn annotations – with your fingers or your Apple Pencil
The Paperpile App requires a Paperpile account.”
8. Researcher: Discover & Discuss
Researcher is where you discover and discuss the latest scientific and academic research.
The only tool you need to stay up to date. With keyword and author feeds, notifications, trending papers, bookmarks, institutional access and syncing with Mendeley or Zotero, staying on top of the latest scholarly literature has never been easier.
Keep up-to-date with scientific and academic content from over 18,000 sources, including:
Universities blogs and news
Leading life sciences and technology companies
DISCUSS WITH RESEARCHER LIVE
Hear directly from scientists and connect with peers via Researcher Live: built-in Live events that bring breakthrough research directly to you.
Listen in, ask questions and discuss trending topics and papers directly with the researchers behind them.
We want to give every scientist and researcher the opportunity to connect and discuss their work with their peers and colleagues from across the globe and help facilitate those vital conversations that drive science forward.
FREE TO USE
Researcher is free to download and always will be. Get started in a few simple steps and create your own personalised feeds.
DISCOVER WHAT’S NEW BEFORE ANYONE ELSE
No more email alerts, no more RSS feeds. Access to industry research and paper abstracts from 18,000 content sources across 10 different subject areas delivered directly to you in a social media style feed. Be the first to discover relevant content from all the top STEM, Social Science and Humanities publications – you’ll never miss essential research again.
JOIN A FAST-GROWING COMMUNITY
Join the 2.1 million users from around the world, who already use Researcher to get new, relevant scholarly content every day.
CREATE FEEDS FOR KEYWORDS OR AUTHORS
Personalise your app. Set up feeds to show paper abstracts including your chosen keywords and authors so you can easily discover what matters to you.
BOOKMARK PAPERS FOR LATER
Discover research at your own pace. Bookmark papers to read later from any mobile device or from your laptop by going to www.researcher-app.com.
LINK YOUR ACCOUNT WITH MENDELEY OR ZOTERO
Send your papers to your chosen reference manager. We support Mendeley and Zotero.
TURN ON NOTIFICATIONS AND NEVER MISS IMPORTANT RESEARCH
All you need to do is turn on notifications to get updates on your content preferences.
You won’t have to worry about missing vital research ever again.
FIND OUT WHAT’S TRENDING
Discover what papers are gaining traction in your subject and in other research areas.
READ OPEN ACCESS CONTENT WITH EASE
We’ve integrated Unpaywall with Researcher so you can read and discover open access content that helps you move forward with your research.
LOG IN WITH YOUR UNIVERSITY CREDENTIALS
To see the full-text of papers, you can log in using your university credentials. We offer institutional login for libraries and institutions that use EZProxy.
RESEARCHER’S CONTENT COVERAGE
We have more than 18,000 sources of research covering all major disciplines:
Medical & Health Sciences
Life Sciences and Biology
Chemistry & Materials Science
Engineering & Computer Science
Social Sciences & Psychology
Earth Sciences & Geography
Physics and Mathematics
Business & Management
Arts & Humanities
Economics and Finance.
Disclaimer: Researcher aggregates the abstracts of recently published academic papers. The content includes a combination of open access papers, pre-prints and copyright protected articles behind a paywall. In order to access paid content, users must have valid institutional credentials or provide payment to the publisher.
Please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a review to give us your feedback!”