If you are looking for the Best iPhone Apps For Outdoorsmen to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 5 Best iPhone Apps For Outdoorsmen that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 5 Best iPhone Apps For Outdoorsmen, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
5 Best iPhone Apps For Outdoorsmen
1. Army Survival Skills
“The U.S. Army knows how to train their personnel to survive. Their field manual is the most authoritative guide on survival. This app provides a complete reference guide on basic survival, evasion, first aid and recovery information. If you are an outdoor enthusiast, this app may be essential to your survival.
The Army Survival app is the U.S. Army Field Manual 21-76, titled “Survival.” We’ve added all new high resolution images for plants, animals and insects to make this manual even more useful.
Army Survival includes information on:
* Psychology of survival
* Basic survival medicine
* Water procurement
* Edible and medicinal plants
* Poisonous plants
* Dangerous animals, snakes, lizards, fish, insects and arachnids
* Field weapons, tools and equipment
* Desert survival
* Tropical survival
* Cold weather survival
* Sea survival
* Direction finding
* Signaling techniques
* Predicting weather
* Ropes and Knots
We’ve also included almost 300 pages of additional bonus information on:
* Survival Medicine (over 180 additional more in-depth pages)
* Driving & Vehicles
* Health & Fitness Calculators
* Ropes and Lines Calculators
* Water Crossings
* Water Rescue
As a lover of the outdoors you may be anywhere in the world. It may be a temperate, tropical, arctic, or sub arctic region. You expect to have all your personal equipment and or other members of your group with you wherever you go. There is, however, no guarantee that’s how your adventure will go. You could find yourself alone in a remote area— with little or no personal gear. This app provides information and describes basic techniques to enable you to survive and return alive should you find yourself in such a situation.
+ Survival Medicine
+ Driving & Vehicles
+ Health & Fitness
+ Ropes and Lines
+ Water Crossings
+ Water Rescue
2. Couch to 5K® – Run training
“Get off the couch and get running with the OFFICIAL Couch to 5K® training app! This oft-imitated program has helped thousands of new runners move from the couch to the finish line. Spend just 20 to 30 minutes, three times a week, for nine weeks, and you’ll be ready to finish your first 5K (3.1-mile) race!
Get more information about the Couch to 5K app here: http://www.active.com/mobile/couch-to-5k-app
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
The Couch to 5K coach you select talks to you during your workouts. To save your battery, Couch to 5K sends audio notifications when your screen is locked or another app is in use.
To be sure you hear the coach during your workout, please do the following:
• Turn on Notifications permissions
• Turn on the hardware ring/silent switch (no red showing)
• Turn your ringer volume up
• Turn off Do Not Disturb (swipe up for Control Panel and the moon button should not be white)
• Within the app, in Settings > Workout Options, be sure the Trainer Volume is up
Without granting notification permissions, during a workout you can click the lock icon at the top left to keep the app active and still hear the coach.
For support please contact us at: MobileSupport@activenetwork.com We would love to hear from you.
WINNER of the 2012 Appy Award for best Healthcare & Fitness App!
• Training plan designed by Active.com trainers
• Choose from 4 different motivating virtual coaches—Johnny Dead, Constance, Billie or Sergeant Block
• Hear human audio cues to guide you through each workout
• Listen to your favorite playlists with in-app music player
• Calculate your distance & pace and map your routes with FREE GPS support*
• Log your workouts and share your progress on Facebook
• Get support from the largest running community on Active.com Trainer
• Repeat workouts and track your best performance
• Treadmill support allows manual entry of workouts
• Track your progress with total distance and average pace
• Graphs for workouts to compare distance and pace
Finished the Couch to 5K program and ready to take your running program to the next level? Check out our 5K to 10K app to prep for your first 10K race here. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/5k-to-10k/id526458735!
“The popular Couch to 5K app helps new runners avoid injury from doing too much, too soon.”
—Runners World, June 2012
“It’s ridiculously easy to use (it’s hard not to, as you just do what you’re told) and it’s fantastic that you have an encouraging voice talking you through things.”
—Engadget, June 2012
“Active.com’s Couch to 5K is one of my favorite… apps. With its customizable features, interactivity, and well-rounded interface, I may actually stay off the couch this time.”
—148Apps, October 2011
“I knew as soon as I decided to start the Couch to 5K program that I would need something to keep me accountable—not just to showing up for my training, but to actually doing it properly. Of course there’s an app for that.”
—CalorieLab, April 2012
“If you have been struggling to get your buns off the couch and somewhat in shape before the summer hits, training for a 5K is not a bad way to start. If you are looking for a program to help get you there, then the “Couch to 5K” running plan by CoolRunning is probably your best bet if you haven’t done an ounce of athletic activity for a number of years.”
—Droid Life, April 2012
• Once you purchase the app, it is yours to keep. It does not expire after 9 weeks.”
3. OutDoors GPS – Offline OS Maps
OutDoors GPS makes it easy to enjoy the great British countryside with confidence.
• At a fraction of the cost of a dedicated GPS device, spend less time staring at maps and more time exploring.
• The only outdoors navigation app that combines all your favourite OS Maps, with the features you need in a simple interface.
“The best way to access Ordnance Survey Maps. Five out of Five Stars.” -Stuff Magazine
“Best UK Travel App Winner” –The Telegraph
“The perfect tool for navigating off-road.” –Outdoors Magazine
OutDoors GPS takes outdoors navigation to new heights:
• HIKERS: Find or plan a route by choosing from over 200,000 free routes. Then navigate using the built in compass & simple direction view. Track your journey and finally save and share favorite hidden by creating a ‘My Places” list
• RUNNERS: Add variety to your running routes by searching our database of local routes based on distance and elevation. Track your stats & save your favorite places for great views, stretching, resting and water fountains
• CYCLISTS: Find a route that matches your level of intensity by searching entries by distance and elevation. Or craft your own perfect biking path with the route builder. Use the hands free mode while biking and track your route statistics
• PHOTOGRAPHERS: Find beautiful landscapes by searching through over 250,000 points of interests. Find or plan your route to get there by using distance markers and confidently explore offline with Satellite, Terrain, Hybrid, and Road maps
• Dependable anywhere – Break free of phone signals and download maps to use offline
• Find, plan, share, and record routes with statistics & elevation profiles
• 200,000+ Free routes available for route planning
• Unlimited access to online & offline OS Maps (PRO)
• Worldwide map coverage with Satellite, Terrain, Hybrid & Road maps
ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS (PRO)
• Download any Landranger 1:50k, Explorer 1:25k Ordnance Survey maps
• Quick access to download OS Map regions: Regions (1:50k), Counties (1:25k) or National Parks (1:25k)
• Super fast map display, regardless of signal
POWERFUL GPS FUNCTIONS
• Fully functioning GPS at a fraction of the cost of a dedicated GPS device
• Finds your location in seconds – accurate to within 10 metres
• Create a route, with distance markers, by tapping on the screen
• Follow a planned route using the in-built compass
• Hands Free mode (for following a route while cycling)
• Create & Share ‘My Places’ (favourite pub, picnic area, great view etc)
• 250,000 points of interest included (with fast search tool)
WEBSITE & ONLINE COMMUNITY (150,000+ MEMBERS)
• Do all your planning (or post trip analysis) with OS Maps
• Plan, edit and share your routes via Email, Text, Social, etc.
You can subscribe to OutDoors PRO for unlimited OS Maps & Premium Routes. Your subscription will be £30 for 1 year from the date of subscription, charged to your iTunes Account, and will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Auto-renew can be turned off anytime by going to your Account Settings in iTunes after purchase. No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
4. RA Camping
“Looking for a campground for a future camping trip, or need to find a campsite now, for tonight? Use ReserveAmerica’s mobile app to search for available camp and RV sites, yurts, cabins and more in state, federal, and private parks and campgrounds across the U.S. Search by location, date, or amenities, and display search results on a map… View campground details, reviews and photos… Even save your search settings to make finding your next campsite as easy as opening the app!
* Search for available campsites by multiple criteria:
– Near your current location
– Near a city or address
– By name of campground, park, or facility
– The activities and amenities you like
– By arrival date and length of stay
* Filter campgrounds and parks by site features:
– Type of site (RV, Tent, Trailer, Day Use)
– Equipment length
– Electric hook-ups
– Pets allowed
– Accessibility needs
* Display search results on a map or in a list
* Mark campgrounds as favorites
* View campground details, including photos
* Get driving directions
* Read summaries of available campsites
* Reserve your selected campsite through the App or via the call center
* Contribute pictures of the campgrounds taken by you
* 3D Touch Features (Peek at location of the site on the map and pop to see search results in a map)
This is the official camping app from ReserveAmerica.com, part of Aspira. Learn more about Aspira’s outdoor recreation technologies at AspiraConnect.com.”
5. “Strava: Run, Ride, Swim”
Whether you’re training for a marathon or simply love taking your bike out for a ride, turn your smartphone or GPS watch into a sophisticated tracker with Strava. Join millions of athletes and active people and reach your fitness goals!
3 Ways to Train Smarter with Strava
TRACK & ANALYSE: Get key stats like distance, pace, speed, elevation gained & calories burned
NEW ROUTES & MAPS: Mix up your training with the world’s largest trail network
CHALLENGE & COMPETE: Push yourself with monthly Challenges & compete with others
Compare your running, cycling and swimming performance over time
Segment leaderboard: see how you fare on popular stretches of road or trail
Track your progress & analyse your performance on your iPhone, Apple Watch, or pretty much any GPS device out there! Use your Garmin, FitBit or Polar..
CONNECT & SHARE
Record your bike ride on your Strava feed so friends & followers can comment & share their own
Join Clubs of brands, teams and friends for activities & growing communities
Show off your route & share photos of your adventures
Get customizable training & workout plans. Run that marathon or set your own distance, time or segment goals
Get live feedback to help you train safer & perform better
Dive deep into your data with advanced analysis & extensive performance metrics
It doesn’t stop with running or cycling, you can track a whole range of sports with Strava:
• Gym training
• Rock Climb
…and many more!
Strava uses HealthKit to export your Strava activities into the Health app and to read heart rate and biometric data.
You can subscribe and pay through your iTunes account. Payment will be charged to iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renew may be turned off after purchase by going to the ‘Manage Subscription’ page in settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable. The subscription will renew at the same cost.
Terms of service: https://www.strava.com/legal/terms