If you are looking for the Best iPhone Black And White Camera App to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 8 Best iPhone Black And White Camera App that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 8 Best iPhone Black And White Camera App, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
8 Best iPhone Black And White Camera App
1. Camera1 – Black & White Camera
DEVELOP YOUR CREATIVITY
Learn to “see” in Black & White through Camera1 unique simultaneous contrast and exposure adjustments. Explore the infinite black and white image possibilities in real-time, such as high-key/low-key right in the viewfinder, before thaking the shot. Use the Zen mode to focus all your creative attention on the picture, and not the camera or technique.
Take control of the camera, with manual overrides of exposure and focus. Super easy access to focus lock using the manual focusing slider, for ultra-fast shooting – as the camera won’t need to re-focus between shots.
Camera1 takes full advantage of your camera hardware and saves in a variety of different file formats, including JPEG, TIFF, RAW & ProRAW / DNG, allowing for maximum editing flexibility in applications like Photoshop and Lightroom later in your workflow. Advanced iOS image processing such as Deep Fusion and Smart HDR is used on supported devices.
Live histograms, flash, grid views and a range of manual controls allow you to get the perfect shot, every time.
• Black & white photography only: commit to Black and White at shooting time.
• High-quality image processing engine. Take full advantage of your device camera hardware.
• Manual focus (with magnification of the center focusing area), focus lock, spot focus, auto-focus
• Manual exposure compensation, or use Auto exposure
• Live histogram, when adjusting exposure, optional over-exposure warning indicator (zebras)
• 6 contrast/color filters for Black & White: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, infrared (simulated)
• Manual contrast control
• Support for multi-lens devices – standard, telephoto and ultra wide-angle (*)
• ProRAW, RAW, JPEG, HEIC, TIFF file formats. DNG files contain color information, allowing later editing. A full-resolution JPEG, processed to Black and White by Camera1 is saved along side the DNG file, to the camera roll
• Support for iOS Deep Fusion and Smart HDR (*)
• Tap on the picture to take the shot
• 5 crop formats: 3:2, 4:3 (native), 1:1, 16:9, 2.35:1 (panorama)
• Zen mode: all controls disappear, leaving only the viewfinder on the screen for the ultimate picture-taking experience
• 3 flash modes: On, Off, Torch
• 2 focusing grid types: Rule of third and and Golden Triangles
• Live view of all controls above
• Black and White camera roll, image viewer at full resolution
• Share to online social networks, as supported by your device.
“The most brilliant Camera App in recent years” — Keisuke Takahashi
“I like the results-a bit like film (Tri-X) with a slight grain pattern. Lots of latitude” — Eric Mencher @emencher
Don’t forget to tag your pictures with #camera1app !
• Camera1 does not embed any tracking / third-party SDKs
(*) Compatibility Notes
Camera1 features depends on the support from your ios device, so not all not all devices will support all features. Here are some of those restrictions:
ProRAW capture requires compatible hardware: iPhone 12 and 12 Pro
RAW capture requires compatible hardware: 6S, 7, 8, X, XS, XR, SE, 11, 11 Pro, 12, 12 Pro, iPad Pro
The Ultra Wide lens on iPhone 11, 12, 11 Pro and iPad pro does not support RAW or manual focus / exposure modes
Portrait mode requires hardware compatible with depth-sensing (Phone 7 Plus, 8 Plus, X, XS, XR, 11, 11 Pro, 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro max, iPad Pro)
Smart HDR and Deep fusion supported on compatible hardware: iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max”
2. Carbon – B&W Filters & Effects
“Tried the B&W filters and found it amazing. Unlike the rough filters by some other apps, this one is really stunning and can do lots of different styles. I really like it. Minimalism system is a plus too.” – Elizabeth C, Carbon customer
Carbon is the ultimate addition to your B&W photography arsenal. This uncluttered photo editor app provides stunning monochrome filters that will take your work to the next level.
Apply over 50 black and white filters to add elegant, unique touches to your photos. Use B&W presets to bring out variations in lighting and skin tone with a single tap and get professional quality black & white effects instantly.
Add photo textures, like grunge, grain and dust textures to get the perfect photo effects. Create classy and artistic photos quickly, without needing technical experience and multiple sliders or editing tools.
When your photo is finished, you can add hashtags and share your pictures with ease.
Developed in partnership with a collective of professional photographers, Carbon’s minimal feature set allows you to hone in on what is most important in the world of black and white.
“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. When you photograph people in black and white, you photograph their souls.” – Anon
Black & White Photo Editing
– Apply black and white photo effects
– 58 different B&W filters to bring out the details and style of every photo
– Tap to cycle through filter variations to find the perfect photo effects
– Apply textures to your photos for atmosphere and depth
– Grain textures
– Dust textures
– Grunge textures
– Light leak textures
– Bokeh textures
Photo Filters & Borders
– Old photo filters to add a stylistic flare
– Add creative borders
– Use blending modes when applying borders
– A simple, intuitive design lets you edit photos without complicated training
– Supports RAW photos from DSLR cameras
– Copy and paste hashtags to share your photos on Instagram and other photo sharing sites
Apply professional-grade black and white effects to your photos with a tap on Carbon.
What users are saying:
• “Love it! One of my favorite photo apps. This one has become one of the apps I can’t live without. This should be a natural part of a photographer’s app collection.” – Mariei Bjorn
• “I use 20+ photo editing apps. Carbon is my go to app if I want B&W filters. The output looks very professional.” – Chandra Bodapati
• “This app can make a photo more stunning without any color than most apps can with a full range of colors. Everyone should use this app. Great App.” – Tiffaney Leigh
• “Well designed and sophisticated. This is for the serious B/W photographer. Not just another editing too, rather, a highly specialized ‘image maker’.” – Enaekhan
Carbon is free to download. You can access more filters and presets by joining Carbon Pro. You can try Carbon Pro for free during a 3-day trial period, after which you will be charged $19.99 USD / Year [NB/ Changes per local]. This subscription auto-renews at the end of each year at $19.99 [NB/ Changes per local]. Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. The subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. You may manage your subscription and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period will be forfeited if you purchase a subscription.
Terms & Payment Policy – http://www.livintisapps.com/carbon-terms/”
3. Color Pop Effects Photo Editor
– Gray out everything in an image, except the part you want to be in color.
– With Recolor, you can change your hair color to purple! Make your eyes blue, green.
– Combine up-to 9 photos to create collage with creative layouts
– Edit with endless options like filters, curves, adjustments, text etc.
Thank you for downloading Color Pop Effects.
You might be required to sign up for an auto-renewable In-App Purchase to access all features and functionalities of the app.
Subscribe to take advantage of the features described above.
• Subscription Length: Weekly, Monthly, and Yearly.
• Your payment will be charged to your iTunes Account as soon as you confirm your purchase.
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal from your Account Settings after the purchase.
• Your subscription will renew automatically unless you turn off auto-renew at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
• The cost of renewal will be charged to your account 24 hours before the end of the current period.
• When canceling a subscription, your subscription will stay active until the end of the period. Auto-renewal will be disabled, but the current subscription will not be refunded.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when purchasing a subscription.
Terms of service: http://www.colorpopeffects.com/terms/
We’d love to hear from you & appreciate your suggestions because you are the reason we are always trying our best to make groundbreaking apps.
You may also contact our support team through the app’s settings screen.”
4. Dramatic Black & White
Everyone knows it doesn’t get better than classic Black & White – it’s the artistic soul of photography. Referencing one of our favorite Ansel Adams quotes: “Great Black & White photos aren’t taken – they’re made”. Using Dramatic Black & White you can make your own black and white photographs, ones where light and contrast, grit and form come together to tell a story; ones where stone and sky, water and light transcend the material world and ascend to the Photographers’ Gallery. With Dramatic Black & White there are no mistakes you can’t fix, no limits to your vision, no stopping until you’re finished, nothing to hold you back from truly ‘making your photos’ and making them – Oh.My.Gosh. good!
JixiPix’s Dramatic Black & White app starts by leaving color in the rear view mirror, and enables you to make expert adjustments with easy-to-use, fully customizable controls to contrast and light, texture and shape. Before your eyes, watch your photo transform into the dramatic looks of the past and cutting-edge styles of the present.
• Black & White – Classic
• Infrared Photo – Modern
• Dramatic Black & White – High Definition
A one-of-a-kind ellipse spotlight tool will allow you to set up a light source on a subject in your composition. Fully customizable controls allow expert adjustments to contrast, light, texture and shape; and adjustments to spotlight size intensity.
Spotlight, Black and White Filters, Grain and Vignette
All JixiPix Apps come with: Superior Customer Service, Support for High-Resolution Images & Output, Undo/Redo, Randomize Button, Quick Presets and the ability to create Custom Presets, Cropping with the ability to specify aspect ratio, Quick Preview, Email, Print, and the ability to post directly to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Tumblr. We also have an online art gallery and invite our user’s to display their artistic creations on it: http://www.flickr.com/groups/jixipixcreations/
“JixiPix turns any photo into a masterpiece. All that is required of you is the appreciation — we’ll take care of the rest!
JixiPix.com “Creative Tools for Creative People”
Photography | Artistic | Graphic Apps
MAC • iPad • iPhone”
“Lenka is a remarkably simple yet powerful, dedicated black & white camera app developed in France by world renowned photographer Kevin Abosch (kevinabosch.com) for professionals & amateurs alike, to create beautiful black & white photographs. Lenka is optimised for use with iPhone 7/7Plus/8/X– For highest image quality, we suggest using these devices with iOS 11 installed.
– Realtime “What you see is what you get” preview as you shoot.
– Pinch screen to switch from rectangular “full frame” format to square format.
– Automatic focus or Manual Focus. (Manual Focus only available with iOS8 or later)
– Adjust exposure manually with control slider.
– Adjust contrast manually with control slider.
– Subtle cooler/warmer Temperature Tint control slider.
– Option to take photo by pressing volume buttons.
– Edit photos (crop/rotate) and share via email or messenger and to Facebook and Twitter.
– Export photos to Instagram! (Must have Instagram on your device for this feature)
– Tap the lightbulb icon to illuminate your subjects with constant light (not flash)
Lenka does not allow for flash photography or the use of your front facing camera. These are creative decisions which speak to our artistic philosophy.
“Free apps exist to provide the same kind of service, but often fall short of Lenka’s simple brilliance” – SlashGear
“Lenka is a beautifully simple iPhone app that gives photos that moody monochrome magic” – The Next Web
“When you fire up Lenka you immediately realise that it’s capable of much more subtle greys and textures than most normal camera apps.” – Tech Crunch
“Lenka’s simplicity is what makes the app so alluring” – PetaPixel”
6. Provoke Camera
Developed in collaboration with Glyn Evans [the founder of iPhoneography], Provoke Camera was inspired by Japanese photographers of the late 1960’s like Daido Moriyama, Takuma Nakahira and Yutaka Takanashi.
Simple, elegant and easy to use, Provoke Camera does just one thing, produce black and white images with that gritty, grainy, blurry look reminiscent of the “Provoke” era of photography, and in two great formats; square format 126 and 35mm format 135.
Provoke Camera features 9 great black and white and 4 color live view effects, in 2 great film formats, 126 [1:1] and 135 [3:2]:
1. HPAN High Contrast
2. NPAN Normal
3. LPAN Low Contrast
4. X800 More High Contrast with more noise.
5. I800 IR like filter.
6. Z800 +2EV with more noise.
7. D100 Darken with Blur (4Pixel)
8. H100 High Contrast with Blur(4Pixel)
9. E100 +1.5EV with Blur(4Pixel)
11. 100 Old Color
12. 100U Vivid and Sharp
13. 160N Soft
In addition to capturing beautiful, gritty, grainy, contrasty black and white images, Provoke Camera will also allow you to import photos from your camera roll and apply any one of its “Provoke” effects.
And Support TIFF Uncompress image file.
Also support Photo Extension with iOS8 later. You can use Provoke Filter in Photos App.”
7. Simply B&W
An easy and simple way to turn your colour shots into dramatic black and white photos. Explore tone, brightness and contrast to re-visualise your images on your iOS device.
Learn to look in monochrome and develop your own interpretation of reality.
Try SimplyB&W Today!
* Classic SLR style editing controls in a single view.
* Tap or dial in adjustments to the exposure, brightness and contrast of the image.
* Add simulated film grain.
* Select from 6 different coloured lens filters to enhance certain colours and shades in a photo.
* Preserve EXIF and Geolocation data.
* Outputs images in full resolution.
What App Reviewers say:
“With minimal fuss, Simply B&W quickly creates rich, great looking black and white photos.”
“This sleek and simple app provides a minimalistic user interface that is intuitive and filled with plenty of powerful features. It also stays out of the way so that the focus is all on your images rather than the app itself. Weve been enjoying making classy black-and-white photos with SimplyB&W over the past few days. If you feel like seeing the world through black-and-white, then you need to give SimplyB&W a try for yourself.”
“This well-designed, capable app provides just what you need to create stunning, classic black-and-white photos on your iPhone”
“If you want to make beautiful black and whites with one app, then Simply B&W is the only app you will ever need”
“Given the overabundance of black and white converters in the App Store, Simply B&W can easily go unnoticed. As a matter of fact, although I am mostly devoted to black and white photography, I had overlooked this app myself. However, as far as the value of Simply B&W is concerned, I am quite sure iPhone black and white enthusiasts will enjoy this app quite a bit”
“In a few words: app creation of black and white as simple and elegant, Simply B & W produces natural results and well balanced. An excellent choice of its kind!”
“The beauty of this app is the simplicity. You just choose from one of the five color filters, and then tweak brightness/contrast”
“Simply B&W is definitely a simple to use app that is very capable of producing some really nice black and white images, either directly from the camera itself, or existing photos. Whilst it doesn’t offer the features found in some of the more advanced black and white apps, what it does offer, it does well”
#9 in the Top 25 iPhone Photo Apps for Parents of 2011
“This app provides helpful advice on which filter to choose and easily has the best image quality of any other app of its kind. It also has a magical power to make a wild, screaming child look serious, astute, and brooding…””
8. VSCO: Photo & Video Editor
Share your photos and videos with #VSCO for a chance to be curated by VSCO. We can’t wait to see what you create.
FREE PHOTO EDITOR
Take your photography to the next level with 10 free VSCO presets. Easily import and edit your RAW photos. Use editing tools like Contrast and Saturation to make your photos pop or use Grain and Fade to add texture and mimic analog film effects. Adjust or play around with your photo perspectives with Crop and Skew. Save and recreate your favorite edits with Recipes.
ADVANCED PHOTO EDITING TOOLS
Join VSCO Membership to access VSCO’s complete preset library with over 200+ presets. Recreate vintage film looks by Kodak, Fuji, Agfa, and others with Film X. Use advanced photo editing tools like HSL and Split Tone. Frame your images with a touch of color using Borders.
Transform your videos on mobile with the same premium VSCO presets and advanced editing tools from our photo editor. Adjust white balance and experiment with color control with HSL. Easily create short video GIFs with DSCO.
Tell a video story and make a moving collage by layering videos, images, and shapes. Celebrate moments, illustrate a mood, or experiment with photos and videos you already have in your Studio. Adjust the opacity of any media layered in to create an eclectic range of customized gel colors and double exposures.
CONNECT WITH A CREATIVE COMMUNITY
Explore inspiring photos, videos, and editorial in Discover. Find people you know and connect with friends already on VSCO. Create with Journals. Try something new with weekly photo Challenges exclusive to your VSCO membership.
MEMBERSHIP TRIAL AND SUBSCRIPTION TERMS
Start your VSCO membership with a free 7-day trial. Once the trial is over, you’ll be charged an annual subscription fee. Your VSCO membership will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You can go to your Settings > iTunes Account & App Store > Apple ID > Subscriptions to manage your membership and turn auto-renew off. Your iTunes Account will be charged when the purchase is confirmed.
Read more about our terms and conditions here —