If you are looking for the Best iPhone Cinematography Apps to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 4 Best iPhone Cinematography Apps that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 4 Best iPhone Cinematography Apps, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
4 Best iPhone Cinematography Apps
1. FiLMiC Pro－Video Camera
A multi-time iOS Video Camera App of the Year, FiLMiC Pro has been used in more high profile video projects by award winning directors than any other app:
Unsane & High Flying Bird – Steven Soderbergh
Tangerine – Sean Baker
Lose You to Love Me – Selena Gomez
Stupid Love – Lady Gaga
Detour – Michel Gondry
Snow Steam Iron – Zack Snyder
No Love Like Yours – Olivia Wilde
The Best Years of a Life (Cannes 2019) – Claude Lelouch
FiLMiC Pro provides filmmakers, newscasters, teachers, vloggers, and artists with the capability to shoot in a true LOG gamma curve (included in the CineKit optional in-app purchase). LOG V2/V3 allows for greater tonal range and flexibility in post production by expanding dynamic range and setting the iPhone’s capabilities on par with traditional camera systems costing thousands more. †
FiLMiC Pro also offers a range of cinematic film looks (optional in-app purchase) that can be applied in-camera at time of capture to deliver a truly cinematic aesthetic without the need for timely grading in post. †
Note: Multicam support is not included in FiLMiC Pro but is available in our companion app: DoubleTake.
v6 Banner Features:
•Dual arc slider controls for manual focus and exposure
•Live analytics suite including Zebras, False Color and Focus Peaking (limited to 30fps at 4k and 60fps at 1080p)
• ProRes support on 13 series
•Dolby Vision HDR support on 12 series iPhones (limited to 4K 30fps. Not compatible with CineKit)
• Realtime film looks (8-bit) †
• 10-bit SDR support for 12 series devices
• Clean HDMI Out for monitoring and webcam use
• Ramped zoom rocker control
• Waveform monitor including tri-mode histogram
• Manual white balance adjustment & custom presets
• Content Management (CMS) for file naming
• FiLMiC Sync account to store presets in the cloud and share between devices
• Gamma curve controls for Natural, Dynamic, Flat and LOGv2/V3 †
• Live shadow and highlight controls †
• Live RGB, saturation and vibrance controls †
(† Available as optional in-app purchase & limited to 30fps at 4k and 60fps at 1080p. Log V3 available on 12 series in 10-bit only).
• Standard, manual and hybrid shooting modes. A shooting style for any skill level.
• Apple Watch support for remote start/stop and video preview
• Vertical and landscape orientations
• Variable speed zoom
• Sync audio frame rates of 24, 25, 30, 48, 50 and 60 fps
• High speed frame rates of 60,120, 240 fps (hardware dependent)
• Slow and fast motion FX
• Time lapse capture
• Tri-mode histogram, including waveform
• Downsampling to multiple resolutions
• Saved shooting presets
• Framing guide overlays
• Image stabilization
• Support for FiLMiC Remote. Remote allows you to control an iOS device running FiLMiC Pro with a second device running FiLMiC Remote.
Full manual controls with pull capabilities for:
• Exposure: ISO and shutter speed
• Manual focus
8 aspect ratios including:
• Widescreen (16:9)
• Super 35 (2.39:1)
• Letterbox (2.20:1)
• Ultra Panavision (2.76:1)
• Square (1:1)
Share your video through any iOS share-capable apps like: Facebook, DropBox, FTP.
4 encoding options to balance quality and file size:
• FiLMiC Extreme (offers up to 150Mbps encoding at 4K on latest gen devices)
• FiLMiC Quality
• Apple Standard
3rd Party Hardware Support:
• 1.33x and 1.55x anamorphic lens desqueeze
• 35mm lens adapters
• Horizontal flip
• Zhiyun Smooth 4
• Movi Cinema Robot
• DJI OSMO Mobile 1/2/3/4
Advanced Audio Features:
• Pro audio formats: PCM, AIFF, AAC
• 44.1 & 48kHz sample rates
• Headphone monitoring
• Pro audio meter
• Manual input gain
• External microphone level control
Note: Not all features available on older devices.”
2. iGeeksBlog – Tech News & Tips
Enjoy simplified, reliable how-tos, troubleshooting guides, top app, and product recommendations, unbiased reviews, and more to help you make the most of your Apple Devices!
FREE & FRESH DAILY ARTICLES written by tech experts and Apple aficionados.
EXPERT BUYING GUIDES for all the Apple accessories and gadgets you need.
UNBIASED REVIEWS of the best products, apps, and services that are worth your while.
UP-TO-DATE SOLUTIONS to all your iOS/iPadOS/macOS/watchOS/tvOS problems.
QUICKLY FIND what you need with a powerful search tool.
BITES allows you to access tips, tricks, and news in short-form video format called Bites. Moreover, this feature is app-exclusive!
WIDGET support accessing the latest information right from the Home Screen. Widget is available in 3 different sizes: Small, Medium, and Large.
SECURE experience with Sign-in with Apple.
CLEAN & MINIMALIST design to help you focus on the content that matters most to you.
PUSH NOTIFICATIONS to never miss a slice of everything Apple.
RATE ARTICLE to express your opinion using an emoji based on your experience.
DARK MODE allows you to seamlessly switch between light, dark, and device setting modes.
CUSTOMIZABLE TEXT SIZE to adjust fonts as per your comfort.
SAVE your favorite articles to read later anytime, anywhere.
iGeeksBlog has helped over 345 million+ people use their Apple devices efficiently through their website and other digital presences over the past 10+ years. We have been featured on Digital Trends, Firstpost.com, Dailymail.co.uk, USAToday.com, and many more.”
3. MAVIS – Pro Camera
“MAVIS is the ultimate pro filmmaking and broadcast camera for the iPhone. It provides professional level filming tools including focus peaking, waveform monitor, vectorscope, false color and zebras. It gives you audio controls, audio metering, custom resolutions, framerates and recordings formats. It also brings a natural interface to give you full flexible manual control while shooting.
MAVIS now offers In-App Purchases. Purchase the Big Bundle or choose from our Viewfinder, Formats, Pro Tools and Timecode packs.
– Focus peaking and expanded focus for manual focus assist
– Zebras and False Color exposure assist
– Manual focus, exposure and color
– HD, 2K and 4K* recording
– High bitrate and HEVC encoding*
– Custom frame rates up to 240fps*
– Digital Zoom in 1080p
– Dual camera support*
– Full screen mode
– Custom audio inputs
– Audio metering and manual audio gain control where available*
– Real-time audio passthrough for monitoring in headphones*
– Real-time full-scale vectorscope for color work
– Real-time full-scale waveform monitor for exposure monitoring
– Support for UltraSync BLUE from Timecode Systems
– Support for Zhiyun Smooth 4
– Global Presets
– Custom Function (FN) button
– Multiple saving and sharing options
– Apple Watch record start/stop remote
– Support Docs
SUPPORT FOR MULTIPLE RESOLUTIONS*:
– 4K (UHD)
– 4K (4:3) – record at maximum camera resolution without audio
– 2K (4:3)
CUSTOM FRAME RATES:
– Presets available include 23.98fps, 24fps, 25fps, 29.97fps, 30fps, 50fps, 60fps*
– Select any frame rate from 3fps up to 240fps*
– Record up to 240fps in 1080p*
ADVANCED EXPOSURE CONTROLS
– View shutter in angles and speed
– Shutter lock (e.g. lock at 180°)
– Separate target focus and exposure reticles
FULL MANUAL CONTROLS FOR:
– Color temperature
– Focus peaking and Expanded focus helps ensure your shots are always in focus
– Waveform monitor helps you shoot with the optimum dynamic range
– Vectorscope ensures your colors are consistent and your white balance is correct
– Zebra overlay helps ensure your shots are never over exposed
– False color support for Gradient and Ranges with full details about color representations
– False color helps ensure your shots are never over/under exposed
ENCODING BIT RATES:
– 10Mbit/s (Make your storage last longer)
– 20Mbit/s (Standard)
– 30Mbit/s (High quality production)
– 50Mbit/s (Great for post and color grading)
– 100Mbit/s (Great for very high quality productions, color grades and visual effects)*
– Custom external inputs
– Select external audio input from Lightning connector or analog input
– Stereo audio from Lightning connected inputs
– Internal mic selection and polar pattern
– Manual gain control where available
– Audio pass-through/monitoring with headphones*
– VU metering
– Recording Tally
– De-Squeeze support for Moondog Anamorphic Lens
– Image flip support for DOF adaptors
– Support for different aspect ratios in the viewfinder
– Support for guide overlays in viewfinder
THIRD PARTY SUPPORT
– Support for Timecode Systems UltraSync BLUE
– Support for Zhiyun Smooth 4
*Device restrictions apply. See website for full details – shootmavis.com/specs
MAVIS was developed by filmmakers for filmmakers and we hope you enjoy it as much as we do :-)”
4. Scriptation: PDF for Film & TV
Scriptation, the Emmy winning PDF annotation app for the film, television, and video industry, is the revolutionary app for production that intelligently transfers your annotations, notes, and markups into new script revisions.
Whether you’re a filmmaker on a big budget feature or a student on your first production, Scriptation makes it easy to go paperless, increase your productivity, and save hours of time.
NOTE TRANSFER – THE SCRIPTATION DIFFERENCE
If you’ve ever had 30 revision pages on a 40-page script, you know how time consuming it is to copy your notes to new script pages. Scriptation’s proprietary note transfer algorithm analyzes script changes and transfers every note to its corresponding location in the next draft in literally seconds.
Pen and paper, meet stylus and tablet. Scriptation offers a full set of annotation tools that allow you to highlight text, type notes, add photos, insert stickies, record sound, and more. It’s never been easier to breakdown your script.
You can finally get rid of that 3-ring binder. Scriptation gets you organized by keeping all your scripts, call sheets, schedules, and production documents in a digital production binder.
PAGE MAKER (PRO)
Insert facing pages, set plans, photos, diagrams, and more, and transfer them into new script revisions. You can even ditch paper sides by creating your own with all your notes.
Want to separate notes based on meetings? Or share your thoughts with your department? Scriptation’s annotation layers makes it easy to navigate between sets of notes.
CLOUD CONNECTION (PRO)
Sync between devices by connecting to cloud storage providers including iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive and OneDrive. Scriptation syncs your notes, actor highlights, and inserted pages for use across all of your devices.
That table read script isn’t going to highlight itself. Or is it? Built for actors but customized for sound mixers, Scriptation automatically highlights character lines with the tap of a button.
Automatically transform your script into an easy to read format. Adjust font and size for the ultimate script reading experience.
SCRIPTATION INDUSTRY PRO
Scriptation Industry Pro is an auto-renewing subscription service that offers advanced features to optimize the way you work. When you make the jump to Industry Pro, here’s what you get across all of your devices.
– Cloud Sync
– Pro Note Transfer: Multi-Layer, Collate Pages, Compare Scripts & Bookmark Transfer
– Page Maker
– Sides Creator
– Layer Upgrades: Show/Hide, Shareable Layers
– Reader Upgrades: Highlighting & Scroll
– Saved Annotations
Scriptation Industry Pro has 1 Month and 12 Month subscription options. For offers that include a 14-day free trial, after the free trial period you will be automatically renewed to the current subscription price which you can cancel at any time.
Scriptation Industry Pro automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period.
Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. You may manage Scriptation Industry Pro subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period will be forfeited when you purchase a Scriptation Industry Pro subscription.