If you are looking for the Best iPhone Flying Apps to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 7 Best iPhone Flying Apps that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 7 Best iPhone Flying Apps, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
7 Best iPhone Flying Apps
1. Airliner World Magazine
“Published monthly, Airliner World is the largest selling commercial aviation magazine in the world and is a must-read for anyone interested in or associated with the industry, so subscribe and save today! Our extensive coverage of the world’s airlines, airports and aircraft is unrivalled whilst we regularly feature articles on other aspects of the airline industry such as Air Traffic Control and Flight Safety.
For up-to-the-minute news and features on new leases, deliveries, technology, key industry personnel and airport developments from the airline scene; make Airliner World your magazine of choice.
Please note: Posters, calendars or wall planners, plans, decals etc. may not necessarily be included with this digital issue. Please check the specific issue’s description within the app, to see if it is included with that digital version.
Published by Key Publishing Ltd. The entire contents of this title is © copyright. All rights reserved.
This is a FREE App download including a FREE sample issue. The current issue, back issues and future issues can be purchased within the app.
Subscriptions are also available within the application. A subscription will start from the latest regular issue at the time of purchase.
-The subscription will renew automatically unless cancelled more than 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will be charged for renewal within 24 hours of the end of the current period, for the same duration and at the current subscription rate for the product.
-You may turn off the auto-renewal of subscriptions through your Account Settings, however you are not able to cancel the current subscription during its active period.
-Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase and any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when a subscription to that publication is purchased.
-If a subscription offers a free trial, at the end of the trial period, you will be charged the full price of the subscription. You may cancel a subscription during its free trial period via the subscription settings on your iTunes account. This must be done 24 hours before the end of the subscription period to avoid being charged.
Users can register for/ login to a pocketmags account in-app. This will protect their issues in the case of a lost device and allow browsing of purchases on multiple platforms. Existing pocketmags users can retrieve their purchases by logging into their account.
We recommend loading the app for the first time in a wi-fi area so that all issue data is retrieved.
If your app will not load past the splash page after a first install or an update, please delete and reinstall the app from the App Store
Help and frequently asked questions can be accessed in-app and on pocketmags.
If you have any problems at all please do not hesitate to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can find our terms and conditions here:
2. Flight Pilot Simulator 3D!
“Unleash your inner Maverick, become a pilot and conquer the skies.
+ Fun and challenging missions on beautiful scenarios
+ 20 realistic planes: from single engine props to jets, airliners and military aircraft.
+ Explore a huge open map with tons of surprises in free flight mode
+ Immersive scenarios: emergencies, rescue missions, rough landings, fires, races and more!
Download now and don’t miss amazing updates!
COMING SOON: NEW LEVELS AND PLANES!
● What our players are saying
– This is a great game. Easy to play and an easy way to kill some time in between appointments. A must have. I spend hours playing this game. Simplistic but addicting! Love it
– Very good game, but completely addicting. Finish whatever you have to before even starting.
– The game is really fun. It’s got all awesome graphics. It is definitely the best. I have never played such an awesome game. Whoever doesn’t like this game has a problem.
– That’s right one of the best games I have ever played so if you are looking for a good time by just sitting around this is the app for you!
– I just downloaded it and it’s so fun and addictive I recommend this to people who like games on mobile devices.”
3. Garmin Pilot
Plan. File. Fly. Log.
Garmin Pilot is the most comprehensive suite of tools for the iPad designed specifically for general aviation and corporate pilots. Flight planning, charts, interactive maps, weather briefing resources and navigation capabilities; it’s all included. The app’s intuitive interface mirrors those on the newest Garmin touchscreen avionics so you can go seamlessly from preflight to inflight.
Garmin Pilot’s powerful capabilities start with pre-flight planning, providing pilots with the most comprehensive aviation weather information to make better-informed flight decisions. Pilots can check NEXRAD radar, visible and infrared cloud imagery, METARs, TAFs, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, PIREPs, NOTAMs, winds and temperature aloft, TFRs and lightning data. With Garmin Pilot, data can be displayed over Garmin’s interactive maps that support track-up navigation, VFR sectional or an IFR low or high en-route chart to visualize the weather for your route. Add text-based weather widgets and use the exclusive NavTrack feature to view weather along the planned route.
With Garmin Pilot, users can easily enter a flight plan and interactively edit it on the map. Pre-loaded forms make it quick to save and reuse data for frequently flown routes. And when the flight plan is ready, Garmin Pilot makes it simple to file, amend or close the flight plan via Leidos Flight Service or DUATS.
Garmin Pilot provides full en-route navigation capability on its moving map. Pilots can also navigate with Garmin’s patented panel, a GPS-driven instrument pack with a graphical HSI directional display and indicators for groundspeed, altitude and vertical speed. After takeoff, pilots can continue to view real-time weather in the U.S. and traffic information by wirelessly connecting to Garmin’s GDL 39 3D portable ADS-B Receiver (sold separately).
Garmin Pilot includes a comprehensive electronic logbook that syncs with flyGarmin. The logbook automatically generates entries based upon GPS data collected during the flight, tracks currency, supports manual entries, endorsements and creates reports.
Garmin Pilot U.S. Standard:
– Rich, interactive maps support Track-Up navigation
– Charts: VFR Sectionals, low and high IFR en-route, airport diagrams and approach procedures
– Ability to view Jeppesen Terminal Charts (Jeppesen echart subscription required)
– Weather Maps: Animated radar, Infrared and Visible Satellite, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, Lightning, TFRs and more!
– Extensive text products: METARs, TAFs, Winds Aloft, PIREPs, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, Area Forecasts and NOTAMs
– AOPA Airport Directory
– Weight and Balance
– Flight plan filing via Leidos Flight Services
– Garmin patented navigation panel
– Terrain and Obstacles
– Smart Airspace
– Fast Find predictive Waypoint Entry
– Optional VFR Premium: Synthetic Vision (SVX), Terrain and obstacle alerting, and Garmin SafeTaxi®
– Optional IFR Premium: VFR Premium plus geo-referenced Garmin FliteCharts®
Garmin Pilot has regional offerings for Africa, Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe and Latin America. Features include:
– Worldwide Jeppesen NavData
– Rich, interactive maps support Track-Up navigation
– Radar and Satellite imagery for Western Europe, U.S., Canada and Australia
– Ability to view Jeppesen Terminal Charts (Jeppesen echart subscription required)
– Worldwide METARs, TAFs, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, NOTAMs and winds aloft
– VFR Flight Plan Filing
– IFR autorouting and Flight plan filing in Europe
– Terrain and Obstacles with alerting
– Synthetic Vision (SVX)
– Smart Airspace
– Optional VFR charts from DFS, IGN and NATS and IFR enroute charts from EuroControl
– Optional Garmin FliteCharts® and SafeTaxi® diagrams available on a country-by-country basis
*Note: Use of GPS running in the background may decrease battery life.*
*Note: One subscription to Garmin Pilot may be used on three devices.*”
4. Infinite Flight Simulator
“Infinite Flight offers the most comprehensive flight simulation experience on mobile devices, whether you are a curious novice or a decorated pilot. Explore high definition scenery in regions from around the world with our diverse inventory of detailed aircraft, tailoring each flight by choosing your time of day, weather conditions, and aircraft weight configuration.
• Dozens of aircraft in a diverse fleet of airliners, general aviation and military aircraft (subscribe to Infinite Flight Pro to unlock all aircraft)
• Multiple regions featuring high definition satellite imagery, accurate topography and all major airports with precise runway and taxiway layouts
• Growing list of 3D airports around the world
• Real-world navigation data including airspaces, NAVAIDs, SIDs, STARs, and approaches, furnished by NavBlue (an Airbus Company)
• Customizable time of day and weather conditions (real-time or custom)
• Realistic atmospherics with the sun, moon, stars, clouds, and low-level fog
• Autopilot (supports control of all flight parameters, NAV mode to follow your flight plan, and auto land on select aircraft)
• Easy-to-use flight planning system with accurate fixes and Navigational Aids
• Engine startup and shutdown
• Instrument Landing System (ILS)
• Advanced replay system
• Weight and balance configuration
• Aircraft cockpit and door animations, suspension animations, and wing flex, on select aircraft.
Subscribe to Infinite Flight Pro for an all-access experience that allows you to fly anywhere in the world with live weather and our entire fleet of aircraft. Join thousands of other pilots and air traffic controllers for the most engaging online flight simulator experience available today!
Infinite Flight Pro subscription benefits:
• Join thousands of other pilots for a global multiplayer experience
• Fly the world with millions of square miles of high definition scenery with access to over 25,000 airports (no region lock-in)
• Enjoy all available aircraft
• Act as an Air Traffic Controller (minimum experience grade required)
• Fly through live weather and winds aloft
• Subscription Options: 1 Month, 6 Months, and 12 Months
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
• Subscriptions automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end
of the current period
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and
identify the cost of the renewal
• Subscriptions may be managed by you and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your user Account Settings after purchase
Internet connection (WiFi or Cellular) is required to use Infinite Flight.
Terms of Service:
5. MyRadar Weather Radar
MyRadar is a fast, powerful, easy-to-use weather app that displays animated weather radar around your current location and to quickly show what weather is coming your way. Just start the app; your location pops up with animated live radar, with radar loop lengths of up to two hours. This basic functionality provides the quickest way to get a snapshot of the weather on-the-go, and it’s what has made MyRadar so successful over the years. Check your phone and get an instant assessment of the weather that will impact your day.
One of the most useful features in MyRadar is the ability to provide advanced rain alerts; our patent-pending process for predicting hyper-local rainfall is the most accurate in the industry. Instead of having to check the app all the time, MyRadar will send you an alert up to an hour in advance as to when the rain will arrive at your current location, down to the minute, including details on intensity and duration. These alerts can be a life saver when you’re on-the-go and don’t always have time to check the weather – our systems will proactively do the work for you and let you know in advance before the rain hits.
In addition to the live radar, MyRadar has an ever-increasing list of weather and environmentally-related data layers that you can overlay on top of the map; our animated winds layer shows a breathtaking visual representation of both surface winds and winds at the jetstream level; the frontal boundaries layer shows high and low pressure systems as well as frontal boundaries themselves; the earthquakes layer is a great way to stay on top of the latest reports on seismic activity, completely customizable as to severity and time; our hurricane layer allows users to stay on top of the latest tropical storm and hurricane activity throughout the world; the aviation layer overlays AIRMETs, SIGMETs and other aviation-related data, including the ability to track flights and display their IFR flight plans and paths, and the “wildfires” layer allows users to stay abreast of the latest fire activity around the United States.
MyRadar also has the ability to send weather and environmental alerts, including alerts from the National Weather Service, such as Tornado and Severe Weather alerts. A new feature introduced in this version of MyRadar includes the ability to receive alerts based off of Tropical Storm and Hurricane activity; you can configure the app to send you an alert any time a tropical storm or hurricane forms, or is upgraded or downgraded.
In addition to the free features of the app, additional upgrades are available, including real-time hurricane tracking – great for the start of hurricane season. The hurricane tracker provides additional data above and beyond the free version, including the cone of probability for tropical storm/hurricane forecast tracks, and it also includes a detailed synopsis from the National Hurricane Center. The premium upgrades also include the professional radar pack, which allows greater detail of radar from individual stations. Users can select individual radar stations around the US, select the radar tilt angle, and also change the radar product being displayed, including base reflectivity and wind velocity – great for experienced weather buffs looks to stay on top of possible tornado formation.
Download MyRadar today and try it out!
* Aviation Charts subscription (not required in order to use MyRadar) ($24.99 USD per YEAR)
* Payments will be charged to your iTunes account
* Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period
* Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase.
Full terms of service: https://myradar.com/terms”
6. Stratus Insight EFB
More than an EFB, Stratus Insight also offers:
Radio Transcription & Playback
Stratus Insight boasts a custom-built speech recognition system inside the app. When paired with a Stratus Audio Cable, the ATC Radio Transcription feature works similar to visual voicemail. ATC communications are converted into text, providing a helpful visual assist for referencing previous audio clips. This enables pilots to receive a clearance, ATIS, or other important ATC communications without needing to write them down
Vertical Weather Profile
The Vertical Weather Profile previews your route in the vertical slice from departure to destination, up to eight days out, so you can see the conditions you’ll encounter based on your departure time, aircraft speed, and each intermediate airport.
Smart Flight Plan
If a TFR or changes in weather force you to take an alternate route, the Smart Flight Plan tool considers things like fuel stops and day/night currency.
Radar Forecast provides long-term weather radar simulations up to three days out, and you can fast forward your weather radar in one-hour increments.
Stratus Audio Cable
The Stratus Audio Cable (available to purchase for $49.99 from the Appareo web store) is needed to enable the radio transcription and playback feature.
Seamless Integration with Stratus
The app supports all generations of Stratus receivers, and the user experience is seamless. Stratus receivers provide WAAS GPS, AHRS, in-flight weather, and ADS-B traffic.
Uses HealthKit to detect hypoxia-like symptoms for pilot health monitoring including nearby airport weather watch faces and weather radar on watch.”
7. X-Plane Flight Simulator
▶ “Highly recommended.” — Mel Martin, Engadget ◀
▶ Featured by Apple in “Best New Games” ◀
▶ Over 1 million downloads! ◀
Come experience why real pilots fly X-Plane.
It starts with the flight model—the same flight model used in our FAA-certified desktop simulator—that’s complete enough to model the flex in your wings & the tilt in your landing gear.
Add to that our desktop-quality aircraft with multiple liveries and interactive 3-D cockpits—so detailed you can do a full startup procedure using the hundreds of buttons, knobs, & switches in the cockpit. With working gauges, flight displays, & more, these cockpits are as realistic as those in our full desktop sim.
But aircraft are no good without a place to fly them. That’s why each of our 5 ▸free◂ regions features detailed terrain, lifelike city buildings, & 3D airports—complete with terminal buildings, jetways, hangars, & more.
Want more? Subscribe to unlock global scenery, and get access to over 37,000 airports, with more than 11,500 airports featuring 3D terminals, hangars, & more.
√ 9 ▸free◂ tutorials, teaching the basics of takeoffs & landings, traffic patterns, helicopters, & more
√ Massive multiplayer with thousands of other pilots and controllers in a single shared world (Professional subscribers only; non-subscribers can get free trial flights for a limited time)
√ Fully interactive cockpits on many aircraft, wired to real systems models, with working gauges, displays, buttons, & switches
√ Full startup procedures supported on many aircraft (optionally start any aircraft from cold & dark)
√ More than 50 systems modeled, each of which can be failed on command
√ Emergency scenarios
√ Combat missions
The app includes 2 aircraft (plus 5 scenery regions) for free. In addition, the following aircraft are available as in-app purchases:
• ▸Free!◂ Cessna 172SP w/ 4 liveries
• ▸Free!◂ Cirrus Vision SF50 w/ 5 liveries
• Cirrus SR22 w/ 3 liveries
• Airbus A320 Airliner w/ 3 liveries
• Boeing B737-800 Airliner w/ 3 liveries
• Boeing B777-200ER Airliner w/ 3 liveries
• Boeing B747-400 Jumbo Jet w/ 3 liveries
• Bombardier CRJ200 Regional Jet w/ 3 liveries
• Douglas DC-3 Airliner w/ 3 liveries
• McDonnell Douglas MD-80 w/ 3 liveries
• A-10 Thunderbolt II (“Warthog”) Fighter
• F-22 Raptor Fighter
• F-4 Phantom II Fighter
• Beechcraft Baron B58
• Beechcraft King Air C90B
• Piper PA-18 Super Cub
• Piaggio P.180 Avanti
• Sikorsky S76 Helicopter
5 scenery regions are ▸free◂ for everyone!
• Oahu, Hawaii
• Grand Canyon
• Seattle/Tacoma, Washington
• Juneau, Alaska
• Innsbruck, Austria
Global scenery is available by purchasing a monthly or yearly subscription.
Come join tens of thousands of other pilots and controllers in a single, shared world!
Try the Fly-In of the Day to meet up with hundreds of other pilots, or explore the MMO world for more chance encounters.
Massive multiplayer is in early access—we wanted to get it in your hands as soon as possible—so we’re going to continue adding new features & improvements over the coming months.
Terms of Service available at: https://www.x-plane.com/x-plane-mobile-terms-of-service/
Download X-Plane now to experience aviation like never before.”