If you are looking for the Best iPhone Free Writing Apps to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 7 Best iPhone Free Writing Apps that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 7 Best iPhone Free Writing Apps, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
7 Best iPhone Free Writing Apps
# Key features of Byword
– Designed to make writing with Markdown easier
– Sync text documents across all your Mac, iPhone, iPad devices
– Take all documents offline to access them anytime
– Filter documents by searching all text (Find & Replace inside documents coming soon)
– Alternate dark theme for extra comfort in low-light situations
– The most complete Markdown support including footnotes, tables and cross-references
– Export Markdown documents to PDF and HTML documents
– Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote
# Optimized for iOS 13
– Dark mode support to match iOS preference;
– Search documents directly from iOS Spotlight;
– Multitasking and split screen on iPad;
– Shortcuts to create new document and access most recent documents right from application icon.
# Blog publishing
Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote from Byword. Publishing your story with Byword is as simple as:
1. Write in Byword
2. Open Tools and select Publish
3. Confirm metadata
# More features
– List continuations
– TextExpander snippet expansion
– Word and character counters with live update
– Extensive VoiceOver support for visual impaired users
– Spell and Grammar checking and Dictionary lookup
– Keyboard shortcuts for formatting and navigating between screens
Here are some ways to use Byword in your life:
– For posting to your blog without using clunky web interfaces and risking losing your work
– For research, meeting and class notes
– To write that important email without being distracted
– To capture ideas and notes and have them available in all devices
# Rich text warning
Byword for iOS only works with plain text formats. Supported file extensions are: txt, text, md, mmd, rmd, markdown, markdn, mdown, mkdn, markd and fountain.
We are proud to provide a super friendly customer support. If you need help and/or have suggestions, please contact us using the mediums below.
2. iGeeksBlog – Tech News & Tips
Enjoy simplified, reliable how-tos, troubleshooting guides, top app, and product recommendations, unbiased reviews, and more to help you make the most of your Apple Devices!
FREE & FRESH DAILY ARTICLES written by tech experts and Apple aficionados.
EXPERT BUYING GUIDES for all the Apple accessories and gadgets you need.
UNBIASED REVIEWS of the best products, apps, and services that are worth your while.
UP-TO-DATE SOLUTIONS to all your iOS/iPadOS/macOS/watchOS/tvOS problems.
QUICKLY FIND what you need with a powerful search tool.
BITES allows you to access tips, tricks, and news in short-form video format called Bites. Moreover, this feature is app-exclusive!
WIDGET support accessing the latest information right from the Home Screen. Widget is available in 3 different sizes: Small, Medium, and Large.
SECURE experience with Sign-in with Apple.
CLEAN & MINIMALIST design to help you focus on the content that matters most to you.
PUSH NOTIFICATIONS to never miss a slice of everything Apple.
RATE ARTICLE to express your opinion using an emoji based on your experience.
DARK MODE allows you to seamlessly switch between light, dark, and device setting modes.
CUSTOMIZABLE TEXT SIZE to adjust fonts as per your comfort.
SAVE your favorite articles to read later anytime, anywhere.
iGeeksBlog has helped over 345 million+ people use their Apple devices efficiently through their website and other digital presences over the past 10+ years. We have been featured on Digital Trends, Firstpost.com, Dailymail.co.uk, USAToday.com, and many more.”
3. Narrative Writer
Designed for MacOS, iPhone, iPad, and any web-browser. Your progress is saved on your device, and also to the cloud as you type. Narrative allows you to access your novel wherever you are, whatever device you have with you.
If you are already a writer, you can import your work-in-progress from docx or plain text formats.
This app syncs with your iPhone, iPad, and browser. It works both online and offline. If you have been working offline, when you come back online, your work will be synced up to the cloud. When working online, live-sync sends your words to all your devices in real-time.
The versions feature saves regular automated snapshots. This ensures you never lose a word.
Detailed stats help you track your progress, and a proofreader checks your grammar, spelling, and style in any of 12 languages.
Whether you’re writing the next Great American Novel or simply completing your first NaNoWriMo, Narrative helps you be more creative.
Narrative is also great for writing short stories, student essays, or poetry.
## Focus mode
While using the app, the user interface fades out, so you are free to concentrate on your words. You have formatting options, but they will not distract you from your work.
The proofreader checks grammar, spelling, and style issues, in several languages and dialects. The proofreader checks as you type, and you can toggle the display of hints/suggestions on or off, at the touch of a button.
When you work on any device, your words are pushed up to the cloud, and then synced down to any other devices you are using. This happens in real-time, typically sub-second, so you can switch from phone to desktop as you type.
## Detailed statistics.
Get motivated, with detailed stats and charts on your writing progress. See which days and hours you’re most productive.
Import or export your novel. You can share with friends, or prepare for publishing. Export options include ePub, docx, or plain text.
## Backup to Dropbox or Google Drive
Smart backup to Dropbox or Google Drive. Automatically exports a copy of your work to your own cloud account in docx format, after every writing session.
Narrative requires a subscription. Monthly and annual subscription plans are available. When you create an account you receive a fully functional 14-day trial, so you can test Narrative. Using the trial, or a subscription, gives you full access to the app on all platforms, on as many devices as you wish.
## Get in touch
We love feedback, please feel free to get in touch via:
“Pages is the most beautiful word processor you’ve ever seen on a mobile device. Start with an Apple-designed template to instantly create gorgeous reports, digital books, resumes, posters, and more. Or use a blank document and create your own design. Easily add images, movies, audio, tables, charts, and shapes. You can even draw and annotate using Apple Pencil on supported devices or your finger. Pages has been designed exclusively for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
Draw and annotate using Apple Pencil or your finger
• Easily add drawings with pen, pencil, crayon, and fill tools, then animate them and watch them come to life
• Use Smart Annotation to add comments and marks that stay anchored to their associated text
• Convert your handwritten words to typed text with Scribble and Apple Pencil
Collaborate with others at the same time
• With real-time collaboration, your whole team can work together on a document at the same time on Mac, iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch—even on a PC
• Share your document publicly or with specific people, see who’s currently in the document with you, and view other people’s cursors to follow their edits
• Available on documents stored in iCloud or in Box
Create beautiful documents
• Use Screen View on iPhone to automatically display text, images, and other elements optimized to fit your screen
• Choose from over 90 Apple-designed templates
• Enhance your document with a library of over 700 editable shapes
• Easily add images, video, and audio
• Add an image gallery to view a collection of photos on the same page
• Create interactive EPUB books that can be shared with others or published to Apple Books for download or purchase
• Import and edit Microsoft Word and text files
• Use the table of contents view to easily navigate your document or book
• Add comments and join threaded conversations
• Turn on change tracking to mark up a document as you edit it
• Add bookmarks to easily link from one part of your document to another
• Turn on facing pages to format your document as two-page spreads
• Create page templates to keep the design consistent across your page layout document
• Create footnotes and endnotes and view character, word, and paragraph counts
• Add elegant mathematical equations using LaTeX or MathML notation
• Use presenter mode to easily read and auto scroll text while giving a speech
• Turn on iCloud so your documents are automatically available on your Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and from a Mac or PC browser at iCloud.com
• Pages automatically saves your documents as you make changes
Share a copy of your work
• Use AirDrop to send your document to anyone nearby
• Quickly and easily share a link to your work via Mail, Messages, Twitter, or Facebook
• Export your document in EPUB, Microsoft Word, and PDF format
• Print wirelessly with AirPrint, including page range selection, number of copies, and two-sided printing
Some features may require Internet access; additional fees and terms may apply.”
Typewriter. Ring-binder. Scrapbook. Scrivener combines all the writing tools you need to craft your first draft, from nascent notion to final full stop.
Tailor-made for creating long manuscripts, Scrivener banishes page fright by allowing you to compose your text in any order, in sections as large or small as you like. Got a great idea but don’t know where it fits? Write when inspiration strikes and find its place later. Grow your manuscript organically, idea by idea.
Whether you plan or plunge, Scrivener works your way: meticulously outline every last detail first, or hammer out a complete draft and restructure later. Or do a bit of both. All text sections in Scrivener are fully integrated with its outlining tools, so working with an overview of your manuscript is only ever a tap away, and turning Chapter Four into Chapter One is as simple as drag and drop.
Need to refer to research? In Scrivener, your background material is always at hand. Write a description based on a photograph. Reference a video or PDF. Check for consistency with an earlier chapter. On the iPad, open two documents side-by-side; on the iPhone, flip between research and writing with just two taps.
Once you’re ready to share your work with the world, simply compile everything into a single document for printing, or export to popular formats such as Word, PDF, Final Draft or plain text. You can even share using different formatting, so that you can write in your favorite font and still keep your editor happy.
• Interactive tutorial project
• Keep each manuscript and supporting materials in a self-contained project
• Import Word, RTF, Final Draft and plain text files
• Easily split imported text into separate sections
• Write your manuscript in sections of any size
• View all sections as a single text using the “Draft Navigator” (iPad only)
• Quickly navigate sections using the “binder” sidebar
• Format with fonts and presets
• Comments, footnotes, links and highlights
• Simple bullets and lists
• Insert images
• Pinch-zoom to resize text
• Full-screen mode (iPad only)
• Typewriter scrolling mode keeps typed text center-screen (iPad only)
• Write a screenplay using scriptwriting mode
• Live word and character counts
• Set word and character count targets
• Find and replace
• Customizable keyboard row provides quick-access buttons for formatting, navigation and punctuation
• Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for external keyboard users
• Dark mode
Find Your Structure
• Write in any order and reorganize later
• Write a synopsis for any text section and see it in the outline
• Expand, collapse and drill down into sections of your project
• Rearrange sections as index cards on the corkboard (iPad only)
• Project-wide search
• Track ideas using labels and status
• Apply custom icons to your sections
Refer to Research
• Import research material such as image, PDF and media files
• View research files or other sections right alongside your writing (iPad only)
• Every section has its own notes area for jotting down ideas
• Supports multi-tasking split screen mode (supported devices only)
Share Your Work
• Compile to a single document for sharing or printing
• Use different formatting in your exported or printed document
• Export to Word, RTF, Final Draft, PDF or plain text
• Convert rich text to Markdown for sharing with Markdown apps
• Create and email zipped backups of your projects
• Use Dropbox to sync between devices and with the macOS and Windows versions of Scrivener*
• Copy projects between devices via iTunes
* Requires a Dropbox account (not compatible with iCloud).
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, visit our forums at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum, or find us @scrivenerapp on Twitter.”
6. Ulysses · Writing App
“Ulysses is your one-stop writing environment for Mac, iPhone and iPad. Its pleasant, focused writing experience, combined with effective document management, seamless sync, and flexible export, make Ulysses the first choice for writers of all kinds.
++ Apple Design Award Winner 2016 ++
“The app is amazing. An absolute delight to use. Well done.”
– David Hewson, Bestselling Author (The Killing)
### A Text Production Powerhouse
Ulysses’ markup-based, distraction-free editor lets you focus on your most important task: Write, edit, and write some more. Formatting is kept for later, so you can completely immerse yourself in the text. Ulysses’ uniquely streamlined toolset covers the entire writing process, and its clean and simple interface will boost your productivity. From first to final draft, from prologue to closing chapter – Ulysses keeps you in the flow, so you can get stuff done.
### All Your Texts, All the Time
Everything you’ll ever write is stored in Ulysses’ unified library. You can manage projects of all kinds and sizes, be it novels, diaries or study notes – they are always saved, and automatically in sync. And since Ulysses offers feature parity across macOS and iOS, it doesn’t matter where you are or when inspiration hits: All its tools, and all your texts, are always at your fingertips.
### Built-In Proofreader and Editing Assistant
Write with confidence, thanks to Ulysses’ integrated grammar and style check. Available for over 20 languages, it analyzes your text and offers informed suggestions for capitalization, punctuation, semantics, redundancy, style and more.
### Create eBooks, DOCX, PDFs and HTML
Ulysses’ export is flexible enough to cover any writer’s needs: Transform your text into beautiful PDFs, Word documents or eBooks. Or export HTML code, ready to be used anywhere on the web. You can even choose between a variety of pre-made formatting styles for all kinds of purposes, or create your own and share it with other users.
### Publish to WordPress, Ghost & More
Do you blog? Ulysses’ offers best-in-class publishing to WordPress, Ghost, Medium, and Micro.blog. You can post to WordPress, Ghost and Micro.blog from right within the app – complete with images, tags, categories etc. Publishing to Medium works just as easy, and all four offer a built-in preview to proofread before submission.
Ulysses requires a subscription. We offer monthly and yearly subscription plans. They include a fully functional trial, so you can test Ulysses (including export and sync). There’s also a special discount for students.
All plans unlock the app on Mac, iPhone and iPad, and feature full synchronization.
Please visit ulysses.app for more information. You can also reach us via email@example.com or on Twitter @ulyssesapp – we’re happily awaiting your feedback!
7. Werdsmith: Writing App
Werdsmith turns your iPhone and iPad into a powerful writing studio that inspires you to write. With features to motivate you and help you break through writer‘s block, you‘ll find yourself writing more than ever.
–Here’s how it works.–
1. Capture your ideas
Whenever inspiration strikes, Werdsmith makes it easy to quickly add it to your Ideas List, before it gets lost. Stuck for ideas? Ghostwriter, our AI, writes unique and interesting writing prompts for you.
2. Start your project
When you‘re ready to start your project, move it to your Projects List. From here, you can choose Novel, Screenplay or Poem Mode to automatically format your work as you type. This lets you leave the formatting to us, so you can focus on writing.
3. Create a writing ritual
Many writers have a ritual – a time they set aside every day to write. Choose a time that works for you, and Werdsmith will help you build up your daily writing habit by reminding you to write.
4. Set a goal
Add a word goal to your project, and we’ll show you your progress as you write. We‘ll even show you how many words you’ve written and how long you’ve spent writing, and you can track your daily stats in our handy widget.
5. Get feedback and publish
When your project is finished, you can share it privately with your editors, publish it publicly with your readers, or export it to 1000s of other apps or your computer for printing or editing.
All your projects stay up to date between iPhone and iPad, automatically backed up and protected. Werdsmith can fit into your existing writing process, or you can treat it like a fresh start. It’s up to you.
Over a million writers have entrusted Werdsmith to get their projects finished and become better at their craft. Join us!
Things you might want to know:
You can use all of Werdsmith’s features for free, but there are limits, for example in the number of projects you can add, the number of writing prompts you can create, or the amount of time you can spend in Novel Mode or using app themes. You can increase or remove these limits by becoming a Werdsmith member. Sync, backup and sharing features are optional, but require a free Werdsmith account.
A big thanks to the writers who’ve supported Werdsmith over the years. We couldn’t do it without you.”