If you are looking for the Best iPhone Metronome App For Running to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 8 Best iPhone Metronome App For Running that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 8 Best iPhone Metronome App For Running, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
8 Best iPhone Metronome App For Running
1. AudioStep – improve your run cadence with BPM match
“Reduce your risk of injury when running. Run faster! AudioStep helps you to run consistently by running to the beat of all your music.
AudioStep analyzes your music and adjusts the tempo on the fly. The pitch does not change. No Chipmunks were harmed building this app!
You select your BPM (beats per minute) and all your music plays at that tempo.
Initially AudioStep was designed to consistently run at 180 steps per minute by matching each step to the beat of the music playing at 180 beats per minute.
Eventually, testers found different use for listening to music at different BPM and so we added a slider where you can set your target BPM going from 120 up to 200 BPM.
Studies have found that running at 180 BPM reduces the risk of injuries.
The slower the cadence, the longer you are in the air and the harder you land. Slow turn over means more impact, which causes more injury.
Most non-elite runners maintain a cadence of around 160 steps per minute.
Increasing the step count to 180 per minute will reduce your risk of injury.
As a side effect it also makes you run faster. While there have been no studies identified to prove this, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence available online.
– Normalized volume (all songs use the same perceived volume, no more Taylor Swift being louder than Metallica, they both are now normalized to the same perceived volume)
– Runkeeper support
– Bluetooth heart rate monitor support with warnings for high and low heart rates
– Voice over status updates (distance, time, split pace, average pace, step count). You can set your own update interval as text entry in miles or meters
– 5 eq presets (import for Equalizer presets is in the works) to make it sound the way you want (bassbooster, treble booster, u-shape, extrabass and flat)
– Sophisticated Beat Detection library by SampleSumo
Read more about a personal account on how AudioStep was developed on our blog at blog.audioforge.org
Also please note that continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.”
2. Metronome Ϟ
“”Simple, useful, and good looking! Love it!” – D. Yang
MetroTimer is the most accurate metronome app on the App Store. It provides highly accurate audio and visual feedback, and easy to use timer to track your practice sessions.
MetroTimer is also one of the most beautifully designed metronome apps – it was recently featured on Behance!
MetroTimer has been measured to be more accurate than any other metronome app for iOS. Most app store metronomes are derived from Apple sample code included with the iOS SDK (Software Development Kit). And regretfully, this code fails to account for all the factors that can cause small inaccuracies to build up over time. MetroTimer, created by a software company that specializes in clock time measurement and regulation, is guaranteed to meet laboratory standards for accurate timekeeping.
● Tested with clock time regulation equipment
● Practice timer to track your practice sessions
● Visual indication allows you to “see” the beat
● iPhone LED flash visual feedback support
● 8 metronome sounds including human voice
● Background mode, blends with other audio
● Tap tempo functionality
Metronome Pro (in-app purchase) adds these features:
● Custom time signatures
● Accents and subdivisions
● Interactive beat editor
● Presets list”
3. “Pro Metronome – Tempo,Beat,Subdivision,Polyrhythm”
“Pro Metronome – The best metronome app. Period.
Featured in Apple’s WWDC 2014 showcase “Apps We Can’t Live Without.”
Pro Metronome is a powerful tool that helps you master both daily practice and stage performance. It has redefined how more than 4 million people sync to a beat. At the heart of the app lies our extremely precise, studio-quality metronome which we’ve refined even further with 3.13.
The free version is packed with features. We feature 13 different metronome tones including even a voice option. Running our newest RTP (Real-Time Playback) technology, our metronome clocks an accuracy of ±20μs.
Pro Metronome is all about customization. Change beat tones, accents, and even the dynamics of your rhythm (“f”, “mf”, “p” and “mute”). The Pro Version unlocks even more features including subdivisions and polyrhythm settings. Create complex patterns with triplets, dotted notes and non-standard time signatures.
The app supports several ways to experience beats. The free version of the app includes sound, but upgrading to Pro enables Visual, Flash, Vibrate and Airplay Modes. Visual and Vibrate Modes are great when you’re playing loud instruments or when you need to FEEL the beat. Flash Mode uses the device’s camera flash to sync up the entire band easily. You can even use Airplay Mode to beam the metronome to a projector or Apple TV!
Pro Metronome doesn’t just help you keep time, it also helps you train. Pro Metronome built the Rhythm Trainer which mutes a selected bar in the beat, allowing your brain to fill in the gap and thus train your innate sense of timing. It’s a simple, heavily requested idea not found in any other app to date.
Pro Metronome also supports a host of secondary features: background play mode, in-app volume adjust and even the ability to save song/tempo playlists to share with friends. It’s a powerful, elegant and intuitive app – a must for the modern musician.
Pro Metronome Basic Features:
* Intuitive, ad-free interface even in the free version
* Dynamic time signature settings
* 13 different time-keeping styles, including a counting voice
* Dynamic accent settings, including f, mf, p, and mute indicators
* Tap in your own BPM
* Color Mode – see the beats graphically displayed on screen
* Pendulum Mode, for visual feedback
* Power-Saving/Background Modes – works in lock screen, home, or in another app
* In-app volume adjustment
* Extreme precision (±20μs) using RTP (Real Time Playback) technology
* Timer to help you keep track of your session
* Tone generators
* Landscape Mode for increased resolution
* Universal app – supported on iPhone, iPod and iPad
* Audiobus support
* Apple Watch support
Pro Features include:
* Sensory aids: LED/Screen Flash Mode (iPhone 4 and above) and vibration (only available for iPhones)
* Subdivisions including triplets, dotted notes, and many more
* Polyrhythms – stack two rhythm tracks on top of each other
* Programmable playlists – save and load your favorite settings
* Dual Screen Mode using AirPlay (requires iPhone 4s/iPad2 and above)
* Wirelessly playlists sharing
* Rhythm Trainer – helps to develop your steady beats
* Stage Mode – the indispensable companion for performing musicians.
* Practice Mode – allows you to programme automatic tempo change to suit your practice regime.
EUMLab helps unleash your musical talent! With pioneering technology, EUMLab create sleek, beautiful products for both the professional and novice musician alike.
Find out more about us: EUMLab.com
Follow us on Twitter/Facebook: @EUMLab
Questions? Write us: email@example.com
Watch our videos: eum.io/eumvideo”
4. Run Tempo – Runners Metronome
“Run Tempo is the perfect metronome for runners and other athletes. Set your desired beats per minute using the simple controls and you’re ready to go! Run Tempo can run in the background, allowing you to hear your tempo while using other running apps with audio or music. Includes an optional countdown timer to let you set your tempo then turn off automatically.”
5. RunCadence Mobile
“RunCadence was developed by two physical therapists to help the running community apply step rate to running via real time step rate notification and metronome. RunCadence App accesses the HealthKit on your IOS device that you already use and enjoy.
Cadence refers to the number of steps per minute (spm), and is a simple metric to help runners reduce their step length to help reduce the shock of impact at landing. Over the past few years,studies have emerged that highligh the role of cadence to correct common running related injuries (RRIs). As little as a five percent increase in step rate, while keeping running velocity constant, has been shown to reduce shock absorption at the level of the knee by 20 percent. Additionally, increasing cadence by 10 percent above preferred leads to a wider step width and a more level foot placement, which can afford distinct benefits for runners regardless of foot strike pattern.
Start using RunCadence to get more in tune with your running. While no shortcuts or “hacks” to running exist, gait retraining using cadence is the next best thing.
We encourage runners to go through the one-minute baseline test under “TEST” to determine your unique cadence.Upon completion, you’ll receive cadence values of +2.5, +5%, +7.5%, and +10% above preferred, which are meaningful values based on scientific consensus. These values can then be used as targets during training.
Let us help you take the next step.
Disclaimer: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. **For use on iPhone 6 and newer.”
6. Tempo for Runners
“Tempo is a powerful training log for running & walking. It’s designed to be your daily go-to training app—your training visualized to motivate you, inspire you, and help you train smarter.
With its beautiful design focused on visualizing your training data from the Health app, and extreme care to maintain your privacy, Tempo is the best app for your training.
Tempo enables better training and self-motivation in 3 essential ways,
• Training Tools
• Detailed Insights
• Workout log for running, walking, hiking, with wheelchair support
• Interactive workout graphs for pace, heart rate, cadence, and elevation
• Individual intervals & full splits with pace, heart rate, and cadence
• Showcase and track your personal bests — PR/PB fastest times from 100m to 26.2mi
• Set and track distance goals
• Configurable Heart Rate Zones
• Ability to edit workouts to fix distance
• Interactive map with splits data
• Tags to track shoes, workout types, races, and more
• Filters with power tagging
• Notes for journaling
• Cumulative graph of lifetime training progression
• Configurable Intensity Calendar to identify overtraining
• Custom Trends comparable across selectable date ranges
• Support for wheelchair workouts
• Apple Watch complications
• Configurable app level settings like dark mode, first day of the week, distance units, and more
• Ability to manually log a workout
• Respects your privacy
• Made by an indie developer
• And so much more!
Here’s why you will love Tempo,
1. BUILT FOR THE ATHLETE IN YOU:
Whether you are a frequent marathoner, or a weekly active runner/walker, you will find Tempo delightful and full of helpful insights.
2. SUPER DETAILED & PERSONAL:
Thorough details for every workout with interactive graphs, maps, and ability to add your own notes & tags for journaling.
3. ENABLES LONGEVITY:
We run for the joy, the distance, speed, endurance, and fitness. All of it requires consistently balancing strain & recovery to build strength & fitness. Tempo offers powerful and configurable tools to analyze and understand our fitness trends and more.
INDIE BUSINESS MODEL:
Tempo is self-funded and maintained by a solo developer. Hi, that’s me! I love running as much as building high-quality software. With no outside funding, no ads, no grow at any cost by selling your data, Tempo’s only source of revenue is when you subscribe to premium features. Please do check out premium with a free trial. Runners find these features really effective in training well.
FOR THE LOVE OF RUNNING:
Built for runners, by a runner, Tempo started as a simple, 1-screen, side-project, and evolved into a powerful app to become a favorite of many runners. Read Tempo’s story here — http://indie.sh/tempo/story
PRIVATE WITH NO ADS:
I can’t emphasize this enough — Tempo is built with privacy first as a core principle. Your data is yours. I do not have or want access to it. I will never sell it, or share it with anyone. No ads, no creepy tracking.
Tempo’s pro features are only available with Tempo Premium subscription. If you choose to purchase Tempo Premium, subscription payment will be charged to your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. Any unused portion of the free trial period, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription. Subscription price may vary from country to country.
Tempo primarily works with the Health data stored by the Workout app from Apple Watch. While it may be able to process workouts stored in the Health app by other 3rd-party apps, depending on how those apps store the data, some details may vary.
Term of Service: https://indie.sh/tempo/terms”
7. TrailMix: Step to the Beat
“TrailMix is a unique combination of three powerful tools: a running cadence tracker, a step-synchronized music player, and a metronome. It’s an all-in-one app that includes tools to check your running cadence, change the tempo of any song in your library to match your stride, and play a beat to help guide you to the perfect cadence.
• While you’re walking, jogging, or running, the cadence tracker detects the speed you are moving at, in steps per minute.
• TrailMix is the music lover’s choice: the original step-synchronized music player, it can increase or decrease the tempo of any song without distortion, and it works with your existing music library.
• The metronome is state-of-the-art, with physically modeled drums, a subtle reverb effect, and evolving musical chords.
◢◤ FEATURES ◥◣
• A cadence monitor displays your current steps per minute.
• Easily increase or decrease the tempo of music or a metronome to help pace your run.
• Synchronize your music to match your cadence.
• Works at any speed: walk, run, sprint, or stroll.
• Play songs from your existing music library.
• Superb audio quality and no “chipmunk” effect.
• Switch between automatic and manual cadence.
• Beautifully crafted, incredibly intuitive interface.
• Built-in pedometer & timer functions.
• Health app integration for steps and workouts.
• Integrates with the Apple Music streaming service.
◢◤ RUN WITH MUSIC ◥◣
For downloaded songs that you have purchased or imported, the app features automatic beat detection that works on-device. TrailMix works with all the music on your device, in any musical genre, not just traditional workout songs. Our advanced recognition engine “listens” to the music to sync the perfect tempo. Accurate and efficient, it detects the beat of any song within seconds.
For Apple Music subscribers, we also offer a simple yet powerful experience that works well with streaming. Just tap along to the tempo to manually set the BPM. (Requires iOS 13.0 or later.)
TrailMix can detect your steps and make the song faster or slower to match your cadence, returning to the song’s actual speed in an instant when you stop moving.
TrailMix also lets you set the playback tempo and lock in a song, or even an entire playlist, at a particular speed. This “cruise” functionality is perfect for runners who want to lock in a consistent stride rate, such as 180 beats per minute.
▪ Play any song, and its beats mirror your feet.
◢◤ UPGRADE YOUR WORKOUT ◥◣
According to scientific research, “synchronizing movements with music enables athletes to perform more efficiently, resulting in greater endurance.” (Karageorghis & Priest, 2008, The Sport Journal). Automatic cadence detection works anywhere, from the trail to the treadmill.
▪ Moving to the rhythm makes your body more efficient. Fatigue slower, become faster, go further.
AUDIO COMPATIBILITY: Works with all standard audio files (MP3, ALAC, AIFF, WAV, and AAC). TrailMix does not include full-length songs.
IN-APP PURCHASE INFORMATION: This app includes an in-app purchase to upgrade to the Pro version. The Pro version features the Magic Shuffle option, the Average Cadence stats module, and a customizable speed limit.
LEARN MORE: Visit us at trailmixapp.com
Apple Music is a trademark of Apple Inc.”
8. Weav Run: #1 Running Music
“Weav Run is a music app for runners. Using groundbreaking adaptive music technology, music you love automatically syncs to your footsteps—in real time! Access hundreds of top songs and curated playlists by your favorite artists. Run, jog, sprint, walk—we cover every running pace from 100 – 240 steps/min. The music adapts to your stride!
Enjoy tracks by Lizzo, Cardi B, Sia, Icona Pop, Clean Bandit, Rudimental, Portugal. The Man, Galantis, and many others at 122, 179, or even 220 beats per minute. Weav’s technology carefully remixes every song on the fly so the song always sounds fresh and clean.
Weav Run puts you in control of the music with 2 modes to choose from:
— MATCH MY STRIDE
Weav Run keeps the music in sync with your steps while you’re running. The song’s beat lands when your foot hits the ground. If you run faster, the song speeds up… If you slow down, the song instantaneously adapts and plays at a slower BPM.
— FIXED TEMPO
This mode enables you to set the BPM, and every song you hear will play at that exact tempo. You can also change this at any point during the run. Use this mode to help maintain a steady rhythm while running. It can also be used to help you optimize your cadence. Running at a higher cadence can reduce the risk of injury, increase running efficiency, and boost performance.
Our new instructor-led dynamic audio workouts combine distance- and time-based intervals, workout-specific pace, distance cues, and other novel personalizations.
You can freely choose the playlist for each workout, and shuffle or skip songs without interfering with the audio instructions. And continue running to music once the trainer’s workout is over.
Speaking of the trainer, we have partnered with Kelly Roberts, certified running coach and founder of Badass Lady Gang in creating the first 5 outdoor workouts. Together, we’ve created guided runs for runners of all athletic levels that build strength and endurance but most importantly, will help runners actually have more fun running.
— IMPROVING CADENCE
Studies show that runners often match their steps with the rhythm of the music. Higher BPM encourages you to take more steps per minute. By matching your footfall to the beat, you can begin optimizing your cadence.
Weav Run also features:
• Keep track of your run streak with our built-in counter
• Measure your steps per minute (cadence) and use Weav Run to optimize your cadence
• Track your run with GPS
CONNECT & SHARE
• Connect to Strava and share your route, photos, and cadence
• Easily share on social media
• Weav can run simultaneously with other apps like Strava, Nike+ Run Club, MapMyRun,
Runkeeper, Runtastic, and any other run tracker
• Weav Run integrates with the Health app to track and store workouts
• Featured artists: Lizzo, Camilia Cabello, Clean Bandit, Demi Lovato, Icona Pop, Portugal. The Man, Rudimental, Olivia Holt, Clara Mae, Shawn Hook, The Knocks, and more!
• All songs on Weav Run can play between 100 and 240 BPM without losing the integrity of the song. You never have to make another running playlist again.
• Pace your runs with music
• Achieve a steadier running stride
• Improve and fine-tune your running cadence
• Motivate yourself during a run, jog, or walk
• Spice up speedwork, long runs, and everyday runs
Try Weav Run during other activities like:
• Yoga (set a low BPM for a soothing experience)
• Gym training
…and many more!
Weav Run integrates with the Apple Health app to sync your workouts and record heart rate data.”