If you are looking for the Best iPhone Planetarium App to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 4 Best iPhone Planetarium App that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 4 Best iPhone Planetarium App, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
4 Best iPhone Planetarium App
1. Night Sky
Night Sky is a powerful personal planetarium.
Quickly identify stars, planets, constellations and satellites in your own beautiful personal planetarium! This is all done magically. Whether you’re looking for a constellation or the International Space Station, research it with Night Sky from the comfort of your Mac!
Completely synced with Night Sky on your iOS/iPadOS device, the macOS version brings all your Sky Tours, Sky Notifications, Favorite Objects, and beautiful Moon Tours to the big screen of your Mac! Making it the perfect tool for research projects and browsing the sky in comfort.
+ NEW – SKY TAGS – Make Night Sky yours, by adding personal Sky Tags to the map! Pin Sky Tags to objects in the sky to save for future reference, and share them via iMessage so others can find them! Sky Tags can be categorized, and are completely personal to you. Maybe you want to tag a star as a memorial to someone, or tag something you’d like to observe later that night. You can even add Astrophotography photos and observation notes to your Sky Tags!
+ NEW – CONNECTED STARGAZING (Premium Feature) – Connected Stargazing is a revolutionary new feature that utilizes SharePlay in macOS 12.1, allowing you to stargaze with others when you are apart! Start a FaceTime Audio call with those who you would like to stargaze with, then create a session by adding objects for everyone to find in the sky! Connected Stargazing on macOS is ideal for setting up and hosting sessions, or taking part in stargazing sessions if you’re unable to observe from outside.
+ NEW – SKY TIMESTAMPS – Travel to anytime in the past or future using the Space Travel feature, then Sky Timestamp the time for quick recollection! Save the sky for the night you were born, or any other significant celestial event to revisit at the tap of your Sky Timestamp!
+ BILLIONS OF STARS! (Premium Feature) – Space is vast, so Night Sky has been hyper charged in Night Sky 8 with over 1.7 BILLION STARS streamed from the cloud! With a new super deep zoom greater than 10X before, prepare to delve deeper into space than ever before!
+ NEW – NIGHT SKY WIDGET – Add the beautiful new Night Sky Widget. Available in multiple sizes get relevant data to your location on satellite flyovers, conditions, and your favorite objects!
+ MAPS UI – A brand new clean and familiar interface for Night Sky, with new Search features with Quick Find, intelligent Night Red Mode, Light Pollution indicator and beautiful feature tiles prepare to navigate Night Sky quicker than ever before!
+ AURORA MAPPING (Premium Feature) – See where the Aurora is most visible with the nearest Aurora viewing locations to you highlighted. Complete with Aurora alerts!
+ PLANET INTERNAL STRUCTURES – With the tap of a button reveal the internal structures of the planets of the Solar System.
+ AR OBJECT EXPLORATION – Pull Planets, Stars and Constellations out of the sky and look at them in great detail and even share the object via iMessage with USDZ!
+ NIGHT SKY TOURS (Premium Feature): Get a live tour or create your own tours for any location and time in the world!
+ MY SKY NOTIFICATIONS – Completely customize your notifications in Night Sky. Favorite any object and be informed when that object is rising for your current location.
+ MANY MORE FEATURES
Optional Night Sky Premium is available for $4.99/month or $29.99/year (or equivalent currency). You can subscribe and pay through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You can manage your subscriptions by entering the user settings in iTunes after the purchase. Auto-renew may also be turned off from here.
Terms and conditions: http://www.icandiapps.com/icandiapps/terms-conditions/”
Simply hold your device to the sky and quickly locate planets, constellations, satellites, and millions of stars and deep sky objects. Use Augmented Reality (AR) mode to blend a simulated sky chart with a real view of your surroundings.
Packed with interactive information and rich graphics, discover why SkySafari 6 is your perfect stargazing companion under the night sky.
Here’s what’s new in version 6:
1) Complete support for iOS 13 and iPhone 11. We got you covered and release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. Rewritten from the ground up, SkySafari 6 will (optionally) back up all your settings files and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) Say It. Ever just wanted to just yell at your device and tell it what to do!? SkySafari 6 adds basic voice control for a wide range of operations. Say “select Jupiter,” “search for Titan,” “center on Polaris” and SkySafari will do the work for you. Yelling optional.
4) Redesigned toolbar with ability to hide
5) Configurable font sizes
6) Better control of magnitude limits
7) Improved databases
8) Better updating of Comets and Asteroids (more recent data)
9) Better Moon display when zoomed out
If you haven’t used SkySafari 6 before, here’s what you can do with it:
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your real time movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• See an eclipse now, in the past or in the future! Simulate the night sky from anywhere on Earth many years in the past or in the future! Animate meteor showers, comet approaches, transits, conjunctions, and other celestial events with SkySafari’s Time Flow.
• Locate the Sun, Moon, or Mars from our extensive database and track the arrow to be directed to their exact locations in the sky before you. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn about the history, mythology, and science of the heavens! Browse from hundreds of object descriptions, astronomical photographs, and NASA spacecraft images in SkySafari. Explore tons of NASA Space Missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek, for all major sky events every day – miss nothing!
• 120,000 stars; over 200 star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies; all major planets and moons, and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites including the International Space Station (ISS).
• Animated meteor showers with complete viewing information & spectacular graphics.
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly like a NASA space probe through the solar system. Requires in-app purchase.
• Night Vision – Preserves your eyesight after dark.
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – choose from beautiful built-in vistas, or customize your own!
• Much more!
Cosmos Collection: In-app purchase allows you to travel to other planets and stars, visualize the 3-D location of deepsky objects in our galaxy, and listen to hours of audio guided tours of the heavens. The Cosmos Collection includes:
Lift off from the Earth and travel to the planets, moons and stars.
Guided Audio Tours
Listen to more than four hours of audio narration to learn the history, mythology, and science of the heavens.
Visualize the 3-D location of stars and deep sky objects in our Galaxy the Milky Way.
“Yoor-a- nus”, not “Your-anus”? The pronunciation guide in SkySafari will help you learn how to correctly pronounce the names of hundreds of celestial objects from different categories such as stars, constellations and planets.
For even more features, and telescope control check out SkySafari 6 Plus and SkySafari 6 Pro!”
3. SkyView® Lite
Downloaded over 27 million times.
If you like our lite version of SkyView then you’ll love our full version! It includes: a convenient Apple Watch app, a Today Widget displaying tonight’s brightest objects, ALL in-app purchases offered in this version, thousands more objects to discover, and more!
App Store Best of 2012
App Store Rewind 2011 — Best Education App
“If you’ve ever wanted to know what you’re looking at in the night sky, this app is the perfect stargazer’s companion.”
“If you’ve ever been looking for a stargazing app for your iPhone, then this [is] definitely the one to get.”
“SkyView is an Augmented Reality app that lets you see just what delights the sky has to offer.”
– 148Apps Editor’s Choice
You don’t need to be an astronomer to find stars or constellations in the sky, just open SkyView® Lite and let it guide you to their location and identify them. SkyView® Lite is a beautiful and intuitive stargazing app that uses your camera to precisely spot and identify celestial objects in sky, day or night. Find your favorite constellations as they fade in and out while you scan across the sky, locate the Moon, discover distant galaxies, and witness satellite fly-bys.
• Simple: Point your device at the sky to identify galaxies, stars, constellations and satellites (including the ISS and Hubble) passing overhead at your location.
• Sightings: set reminders for celestial events and plan an evening stargazing & spotting satellites.
• Augmented Reality (AR): Use your camera to spot objects in the sky, day or night.
• Sky Paths: Follow the daily sky tracks for the Sun and Moon to see their exact locations in the sky on any date & time.
• Time Travel: Jump to the future or the past and see the sky on different dates and times.
• Social: Capture and share beautiful images with friends and family on social networks.
• Mobile: WiFi is NOT required (does not require a data signal or GPS to function). Take it camping, boating, or even flying!
• Supports Space Navigator™ binoculars, spotting scope, and telescopes.
What a fun way to teach yourself, your children, your students, or your friends about our wonderful universe!”
4. Stellar Tour – AR Stargazer
Stellar Tour is the ultimate guide to the cosmos. Point your device towards the night sky to explore any type of astronomical object. Astrophysicist Dr. Aaron Day provides a tour guide for alien worlds, rather than the standard inundation of random facts as if collected from a boring old encyclopedia. Stellar Tour tells the scientifically accurate tale of the conditions on the ground, in the seas, or floating through the clouds of the Solar System.
Exoplanet systems are displayed in their actual location on the sky. Exoplanet sizes, temperatures, and orbits are given for nearly all known exoplanets.
Using images collected up close by NASA’s many probes, all the planets and major moons of the Solar System are displayed in exquisite detail. Planets and moons can be rotated and viewed from any angle. High resolution images are displayed in vibrant color, representing not just visible light, but ultra violet, infrared, and even radar when available.
Take the Stellar Tour!”