If you are looking for the Best iPhone Topo Map App to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 6 Best iPhone Topo Map App that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 6 Best iPhone Topo Map App, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
6 Best iPhone Topo Map App
1. “AllTrails: Hike, Bike & Run”
Explore 200,000+ hand-curated trail maps plus reviews and photos crowdsourced from millions of hikers, mountain bikers and trail runners. Find that dog-friendly or kid-friendly trail that you’ve been searching for. Take that mountain biking or backpacking trip you’ve always dreamed of. Explore a national park, or discover new hiking trails in your area.
Whether you’re a hiker, biker or trail runner, AllTrails will help you find the way.
EXPLORE 200,000+ HIKING TRAILS AND MOUNTAIN BIKE ROUTES
• Discover new trails in national parks or in your own neighborhood, with hand-curated GPS and topo maps
• Browse photos and reviews from our community of hikers, cyclists and trail runners like you
• Find a hike, mountain bike ride, or trail run that’s perfect for your fitness and experience level. Filter by dog friendly, kid friendly, and wheelchair friendly trails
RECORD YOUR ADVENTURES
• Turn your phone into a GPS activity tracker and follow your trail so you don’t get lost
• View your hiking, running and cycling stats at a glance
• Share your outdoor adventures with friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and more
SAVE YOUR FAVORITE TRAILS
• Explore all the trails on your bucket list and add new ones to check out
• Easily save your favorite trails to run, hike or bike
• Follow the hikers, cyclists and runners that inspire you
EASILY GET TO THE TRAIL
• Get detailed GPS driving directions directly to the trailhead
GET MORE WITH ALLTRAILS PRO
• Download offline maps – track your exact GPS location as you navigate the trail, even when you don’t have a signal
• Never miss a turn with off-route notifications
• Stay safe with Lifeline – assign safety contacts who know your plan and can track your progress
• Know what to expect with real-time map overlays including air quality, satellite weather, pollen, and light pollution
• Always have a backup – design and print stunning custom topo maps
• Experience AllTrails ad-free – remove the distraction of ads and focus on the journey
• 1% for the Planet – feel good knowing that part of your subscription will be going directly to helping the environment
AllTrails Pro is available as an annual subscription for $29.99/year, or you can get three years for the price of two when you buy our 3 Year Plan via a one-time payment of $59.99. You can subscribe and pay through your iTunes account. Your annual subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period (the 3 Year Plan does not auto-renew). Auto-renew can be turned off anytime by going to your Account Settings in iTunes after purchase.
Sign up required to favorite trails, record your activity, or follow users
AllTrails allows you to automatically export information about your recordings to the Apple Health app.
We love hearing from users! Email us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.”
2. Maps 3D PRO – Outdoor GPS
“Enjoy exploring the great outdoors? If you’re a fan of biking, hiking and running then Maps 3D is the ideal app designed for planning your outdoor adventures. Whereas other mapping apps are primarily designed for cities and roads, displaying hills and mountains as flat and lifeless features, Maps 3D is packed with amazing features that brings the great outdoors to vibrant life with valleys, hills, mountains and footpaths displaying in full 3D so you’ll know your exact elevation.
*** Featured by Apple with a main banner in the US App Store Navigation category! (02/2013)
*** 3rd place at the ‘2013 Best App Ever Awards’ by 148apps.com in ‘Best Outdoors Apps’
*** Over 1,700,000 global users!
*** TOP 1 App in Navigation in 75+ countries (as of 01/2017)
*** “The functions are helpful; the compilation of 3D maps is impressive.” Macwelt.de – Score: 1.8
*** “An app recommended for hikers, cyclists and horse enthusiasts…” iPhone & iPad apps in Test Magazine, issue 3/2011 – Score: 8/10
STORE ROUTES & USE OFFLINE
With Maps 3D you’ll have the option to plan, record and share your routes, turning your iPhone into a fully-fledged GPS device so you can log key coordinates and elevations. You’ll also have offline access to worldwide 3D map data which limits the drain on the battery and means that you can pre-load maps to store when you don’t have a signal.
As an added bonus Maps 3D offers 3D terrain and trip planning, so you’ll never need to worry about getting lost. Towns, streets, mountain peaks and lakes are all searchable, with an accurate and precise map display based on NASA scans of the Earth’s surface combined with the outdoor map OSM (Open Street Map) and the Official USGS topo maps.
LOAD YOUR TRIPS & SHARE
GPX-tracks can be imported via iTunes, email, URL or Dropbox, and recorded tracks can be shared via email, Facebook and Twitter, great for showing your friends your latest outdoor accomplishments.
+++ Load maps in advance over WIFI or 4G before your trek, no internet connection needed thereafter
+++ Record your routes by GPS, all coordinates and exact elevations are logged
+++ Plan and evaluate routes directly in the 3D map view
+++ Search for towns, streets , mountain peaks, lakes – offline
+++ Distance traveled, current and average speeds all displayed for an ideal trek
GENERAL / NOTES
Background GPS recording can significantly cut battery life
* * * * *
If you like Maps 3D, please remember to leave a positive rating on iTunes!
The movingworld team is working constantly to improve Maps 3D. Any suggestions? We’d love to hear them! Just e-mail them to us at email@example.com. We’ll try to answer you within 24 hours!
Thank you for using Maps 3D!”
3. Topo GPS
Why should you buy an expensive GPS device if you can install Topo GPS? Topo GPS contains all functions of a regular GPS device for less money, has a much more detailed map, and is more convenient to operate. The accuracy of the position determination is in favorable conditions about 5 m.
Ideal for walking, hiking, cycling, mountain biking, sailing, horse-riding, geocaching, scouting, trail running and other outdoor activities. Also suited for outdoor professionals.
* To use Topo GPS you need to buy a map.
* Official topographic maps of many countries and states, including Australia (National Map 1:250.000 from 2008), New South Wales, Queensland, Great Britain (OS Explorer) and New Zealand are available as in-app purchase.
* Topographic maps are very detailed maps, include height contours and are very suited for outdoor activities.
* All maps of a certain region can be made offline accessible using the map download screen.
* Easy switching between maps.
* Recording routes, with pause and restart possibility.
* Planning routes via route points.
* Editing routes
* Synchronization with your other devices via iCloud.
* Searching routes with filters.
* Routes can be organized into folders.
* Easy adding by pressing long on map.
* Adding waypoints through address or coordinates.
* Sharing waypoints.
* Editing waypoints.
Layers contain information that can be added to and removed from the map.
* Long distance bicycle routes
* Mountainbike routes
* Coordinate grids
* Imported kml, geojson and WFS data
– Intuitive interface
* Clear menu with most important functions.
* Different dashboard panels with distance, time, speed, altitude and coordinates.
* Clear manual at www.topo-gps.com
– Supported file formats:
* Import: gpx, kml, geojson (all also zip compressed), WFS
* Export: gpx (also zip compressed)
– Supported coordinate systems:
WGS84 decimal, WGS84 degree minutes (seconds), UTM, MGRS, Ordnance Survey National Grid, NZTM, GDA94, and others.
If you are recording a route, the GPS will run in the background. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Rdzl, the company behind Topo GPS, does not obtain in any way the position of the user of Topo GPS. Rdzl does also not obtain the routes recorded by the user, and save the routes planned by the user, unless the route is shared with Topo GPS. We sell our product, not our user data.
4. Topo Maps
“* View over 70,000 Natural Resources Canada 1:50,000 and USGS 1:24,000 topographical maps on your iPhone or iPod touch. * Ideal for hiking and other backcountry activities. * Map downloads are FREE! * More than 4 million maps downloaded so far!
– iPad owners, please see the app “Topo Maps for iPad”.
* Users write:
” I’ve bought all the topo map apps and I like this the best “
” Scans are gorgeous … the interface is exceptionally clean “
” Downloading maps is easy and fast … Map displays beautifully and zooms flawlessly “
* Includes Canada (at 1:50,000), the contiguous US (at 1:24,000), Alaska (at 1:24,000 and 1:63,360), Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
* Locate the maps you need on the satellite view. To install a map, touch for about half a second. Touch again to view it.
* Search by name for over a million towns, peaks, lakes, parks and other features.
* No network connection is needed once the maps have been installed.
* Mark waypoints, and import and export waypoint files in GPX, KML and CSV formats.
* Touch the “current location” button to see where you are, and the compass button to align the map with the ground.
* See coordinates in NAD27 or WGS84 degrees, degrees minutes and seconds, UTM, or MGRS formats.
* Measure distances (miles, feet and km) and bearings (true and magnetic).
The Maps: This app uses high-quality scans of the traditional USGS and NRCan topographic maps which have been the definitive resource for hikers and other backcountry users for many years. You can make the terrain stand out with hill shading, using simulated sunlight from the direction of your choice. In the U.S., this app does not use the new “US Topo” maps because they do not show hiking trails and lack other details: please see the web site for more details.
Downloading: US maps are around 8 MB in size and download in a few seconds on a typical home broadband connection. Canadian maps are larger. Both cellular data and WiFi can be used, though WiFi is likely to be more reliable in most cases.
– Do please visit http://topomapsapp.com/ for complete instructions, so that you don’t miss any features.
We have many ideas for additional features to add to future versions of this app; if you have ideas or other questions or comments, contact details can be found on the website, http://topomapsapp.com/. The website also has more screenshots and other information.”
5. Topo Maps US
Topographic maps are useful for recreational activities such as hiking, canoeing, camping, fishing, mountain biking, geocaching, and exploring.
Choose from 2 map sources: USGS standard topographic or USGS hybrid topographic.
Download maps for areas of interest to view them later when you don’t have Internet access or you don’t want to use cell data.
Use location tracking to show where you are on the map, your elevation, and the accuracy of the GPS signal.
Flags are included with map downloads. Add flags (waypoints) to the map to mark your current location or other locations. Import flags from other sources using GPX files and geocache LOC files. Share flags with others using email or AirDrop. Organize your flag types by color, for example, geocaches, trailheads, and summits.
Trails are included with map downloads. Import trails (tracks) using GPX files you find on the Internet or from your personal GPS track collection. Share trails with others using email or AirDrop. Organize your trail types by color, for example, mountain bike trails, hiking trails, and OHV trails.
Record your own trails to show where you’ve been on the map, follow them later, and share with others.
Recorded trails include an elevation profile (distance/elevation chart).
Navigate to a flag by following the direction arrow that uses your compass heading. Useful for geocaching.
Measure the distance between points on the map.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.”
6. Topo Maps+
‣‣ TRUSTWORTHY MAPS
From Canada’s Backroad Mapbooks and NRCAN/GEOBC to worldwide maps such as Accuterra, Thunderforest, ESRI’s Satellite and Topo, you’ll definitely find the backcountry details you need for a great trip!
Add definition to your maps with custom overlays like:
‣ Worldwide Elevation Heat map – color the map based on elevations
‣ Hill Shading
‣Hybrid Maps – mix satellite and contour lines
‣Import your own Geo-spatial PDF or TIFFs
‣‣ PLANNING TOOLS
‣ Compare and Download maps for use offline.
‣ Combine overlays to customize your map view
‣ Smart route-building tools
‣ Unlimited waypoints
‣ Print, email or share custom maps and routes
‣ Public, Private, and Hunting land boundaries
‣ Parcel Information
‣‣ ON-TRAIL TOOLS (Offline)
‣ View your current location
‣ Record your tracks
‣ Proximity Alerts – notify me when I’m close to a waypoint, trail, or region
‣ Line of Sight – what am I looking at?
‣ Progress on Trail – how much further on the trail
‣ Guide Me to a waypoint
‣ Downloaded elevation data for route-creation on the trail
‣ Photo Waypoints – snap a pic and instantly shows on the map
‣‣ NAVIGATIONAL MINDSET – helpful tips and tricks for keeping you safe in the backcountry!
FREE level: view low resolution maps, record your tracks, and limited features
FREE all access 7- day trial of all features and maps.
Topo Maps+ Pro: high resolution maps, download maps, planning & on-trail tools, driving mode, import geospatial PDFs and TIFFS
View your offline maps and current location just by glancing down at your wrist.
Sync your routes, trips, subscriptions, and waypoints between all of your iOS and Mac devices.
SUBSCRIPTION PAYMENT INFORMATION
Topo Maps+ subscriptions will be charged to your Apple ID account at the confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the free trial or current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions by going to your account settings on the App Store after purchase.
Terms of Service: https://glacierpeak.app/tos.html
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.”