If you are looking for the Best iPhone Workout Journal App to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 7 Best iPhone Workout Journal App that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 7 Best iPhone Workout Journal App, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
7 Best iPhone Workout Journal App
1. Fitbod Workout & Fitness Plans
“Get stronger, lose weight or gain muscle mass with Fitbod! When you hit your gym or living room, Fitbod’s innovative training algorithm will guide you through the right sets, reps, and weight to reach your fitness goals.
◆ A personalized plan designed to push your limits:
To build your custom-fit workout, Fitbod’s powerful technology understands your strength-training ability, studies your past workouts and adapts to your available gym equipment.
Between workouts, your training plan will maximize fitness gains by intelligently varying intensity (weight) and volume (sets/reps) between sessions. No muscle group is left behind in your personalized training plan.
◆ Grasp and master new strength-building exercises:
Fitbod keeps your gym sessions fresh and fun by mixing up your workouts with new exercises and maximizing the use of your available equipment.
For beginner strength-trainers, find the confidence to try new resistance exercises and gym equipment. Learn the correct movements from over 400 HD Demonstration Videos
◆ Attain strength-training achievements as you reach your personal exercise records.
Heroic performances happen all the time, and we wanted to recognize them by showcasing your personal bests as Fitbod Achievements.
◆ With Apple Watch, see your training plan at a glance, easily track your progress and stay focused while at the gym.
◆ Get workouts that match General Conditioning, Strength-Training, Muscle Tone, Bodybuilding, Powerlifting or Olympic Weightlifting.
◆ View your workout impact on a body heat map.
◆ Calories burned for each workout.
WHY IT WORKS:
Fitbod has been fine-tuned by certified personal trainers to bring the best-practices of strength-training to you. These best practices include:
◆ Individualization – Superior results are achieved by tailoring the workout program to your unique body, experience, environment and goals.
◆ Balance – Muscles improve when working in concert with the entire muscular system. Overworking some sets of muscle while underworking others can negatively impact results. Fitbod designs well-balanced workout routines.
◆ Variation – Mixing up muscle groups, exercises, sets, reps and weight over time serves to strengthen the musculoskeletal system and keep the body sharp.
HEALTH APP INTEGRATION:
Sync your Fitbod workouts with Apple Health (activate in Fitbod Settings -> Connected Apps).
STRAVA & FITBIT INTEGRATION!
◆ Subscription Details:
Become an Elite member to unlock unlimited logged workouts. Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period at either $9.99 per month or $59.99 per year. You can manage your Elite subscription by visiting the iTunes Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase an Elite subscription.
California Privacy Rights: https://www.fitbod.me/ccpa-privacy-policy
Join the Fitbod Community:
2. Fitsession: Workout Journal
Create any workout – strength training, bodyweight, functional training, circuit training, cardio, HIIT, stretching – and let Fitsession guide you through it on your iPhone or Apple Watch.
• Create, plan and complete any workout
• Create any exercise or quickly add one from catalog of 100+ essential exercises
• Group exercises into supersets and circuits
• Configure timers and rest
• Begin workout and follow along on your iPhone or Apple Watch
• Add completed workouts to Apple Health
Best of all – the above features are completely free to try and use for as long as you want, with no pressure or nagging offers. And if you really like the app, please consider subscribing to Fitsession PRO to support the development and unlock additional features:
• Results section with stats, charts, and measurements
• Personal records
• Custom exercise categories
• Exercise notes
• Ability to skip sets
• Priority support
• And more
3. HeavySet – Gym Workout Log
HEAVYSET AT A GLANCE:
– Supersets / Giant sets
– Preset rest timers per exercise
– Rep ranges
– Set ranges
– AMRAP sets
– Estimated duration
– Create based on previous workouts
– Import plain text routines for rapid routine building
– Export your routines as plain text and share with friends
WORKOUT / GYM LOG:
– Log using intelligent suggested values
– Progress charts track volume, Estimated 1RM, Reps, Sets, Max Weight
– Rest timer with presets and quick modifiers
– Tempo timer metronome
– Full exercise history with notes
– Plate calculator
– Auto-advancing exercises and super sets
– Personal record notifications for rep records, estimated 1rm, volume & more
– Deload intensity, volume or rest automatically
– View workout preview
– Automatically calculate weight using intensity and training max
– Local notifications when timers end
– View all current rep records for current exercise
– Easily add any exercise
– Notes for exercises
– Training max for weight calculation
– Unilateral exercise option (doubles volume in stats)
– Add a base weight / body weight
– Track assisted exercises
– Add exercises to volume groups
PERSONAL RECORDS / STATISTICS:
– Log of every rep record your have achieved
– Filter record log by rep amount
– Notifications during workout log
– Workout / weekly progress stats
DATA IMPORT / EXPORT:
– Automatic iCloud backup
– Export to CSV without upgrading
– Import (possible) any CSV format
– In-app FAQs
– Help videos
– In-app chat with developer (not always real time)
REAL USER REVIEWS:
– “It’s the best app for seriously tracking training I’ve ever seen.”
– “The auto population of weight and reps based on the previous set is a welcome feature”
– “Exceptional simple and easy to use. Whilst being very powerful. Couldn’t recommend it enough.”
– “I would recommend any weightlifter to get this app.”
– “I’ve tried out Strong, Fitbod, and Stacked. Heavyset is far better than all of them.”
– “This one is the best! Practical, simple and you can focus on the workout itself instead of fussing about the app!”
– “I would recommend this gym log to anyone.”
– “HeavySet finally dethroned the old app as my workout tracker it has the perfect blend of ease of use in the gym and powerful analytical type features outside the gym.”
– “I have been using it for over a year now and am extremely happy with it. I use it to log all of my workouts.”
– “This is the best workout tracker on the market!”
– “Been looking for workout tracker that gave me the ability to build a custom workout with specific features like sets based on percentages of a training max. This fit the bill perfectly and has a beautiful UI.”
#1 BEST WORKOUT LOG APP (iOS) 2018 – Lifewire.com
“When you open HeavySet you’ll find most everything is made just to delight you.
“Let’s start with data entry. The buttons are just where they need to be and big enough not to miss even with shaking legs — or hands. What’s more, you typically only have to tap once to log a set; HeavySet’s smart predictions have already accomplished the, umm, heavy lifting.”
HeavySet is a free download but you will need to make an in-app purchase upgrade to get access to unlimited use. As a non-paying user you are limited in the number of times you can perform the routines you input. Routines created by importing, duplicating or other automated methods are also not available. Non-paying users may improvise as many workouts as they like.
The screenshots represent the app after the intermediate user level has been purchased.
– Enable Apple Health to sync your body weight with your workouts for additional statistics as well as sharing your workout data with Apple Health.”
4. Intensity – Workout Journal
Intensity has an interface that makes tracking easy. You can quickly track an entire workout or track as you go. Designed for progression, it has everything you need right at your finger tips. This includes in-depth stats to identify trends in your training, custom goals to push you to progress, and the ability to easily view your personal records.
Intensity includes popular powerlifting programs such as 5/3/1, Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5×5, The Texas Method, Smolov, Scheiko, The Juggernaut Method, PowerliftingToWin programs, Candito programs, Kizen programs, and practically every other popular powerlifting program you can think of. If you can’t find what you are looking for, you can build your own programs or customize existing programs.
With your workouts stored securely in the cloud, access your data whenever you need it. You can access your data on all major platforms.
You can import data from popular apps such as FitNotes, Strong, and Stronglifts 5×5. You can also export all your workouts for further analysis.
Intensity includes social features where you can add your friends, share workouts, and compete on the leaderboard.
Other features include:
• Sync your workouts with Apple Health
• Timer & stopwatch
• Interval timer
• Bodyweight tracker
• 1RM calculator
• Plate calculator with custom plate settings
• Wilks calculator
• IPF points calculator
• Warmup calculator with the ability to add custom warmup methods
Use Intensity as the ultimate tracking tool that will last you your entire lifting lifetime.
Intensity is free to download and use. Should you choose to upgrade to Intensity Premium, we offer one auto-renewing subscription option for $4.99USD/month, and one singular payment option for $27.99USD:
Payment will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription renews automatically unless cancelled at least 24 hours prior to the end of the subscription period.
There is no increase in price when renewing.
Subscriptions can be managed and auto-renewal turned off in Account Settings in iTunes after purchase. Once purchased, refunds will not be provided for any unused portion of the term.
5. Loaded – Workout Journal
“Create your personal workout routines. Keep track of your progress. Loaded is the complete workout journal, designed with simplicity in mind. Join tens of thousands of weightlifters and fitness athletes and try it out right now.
• Clean user interface design
• Choose among 400+ predefined exercises, or create your own
• Create your own routines and programs
• Support supersets
• Support RPE based on RIR
• Register both weightlifting (reps and sets) and cardio-exercises (time and/or distance)
• Integration with the Health app to save your workouts
• No need to create a routine first – Just start your workout and add exercises as you go
• Set a rest timer between sets and get notified when the time is up
• Add notes to both your exercises and your entire workout
• Add your own image to exercises
• Create an account if you want to, or use the app anonymously
• Choose your favourite 1RM algorithm if you have any preferences
• Statistics with graphs and tables of completed exercises
• Never loose your data if your battery goes flat in the middle of a workout – Everything is saved and can be restored
• Export your workouts to Excel
• A calendar of your completed workouts, and revisit the details from each workout
• Support for both the metric and the imperial system
The app is fully functional for three workouts, then you can decide if you want to unlock unlimited workouts for a small one-time fee.
Feedback, comments, questions and suggestions and more than welcome. Loaded is design for you, so please send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org if there’s anything we can help you with.”
6. Strong Workout Tracker Gym Log
Strong is the simplest and most intuitive workout tracker, designed to help you get better results from your workouts. Whether you want to gain strength or just stay healthy, join over 1.2 million people who have downloaded Strong to stay on track in the gym.
“I’d suggest downloading the “Strong” app before you return to the gym. It’s that good” – CNBC
“with apps like Strong, working out feels more like a game” – The Verge
“I have used nearly every logging app since the App Store launched. This is the best bar none”
“I use this every time I go to the gym and seriously couldn’t train without it”
“Simple. Intuitive. Functional. Exactly what I was looking for.”
“This is bare bones and serious. Right on, and works perfectly… I wish I could give 10 stars.”
“It’s by far the most intuitive and easy to use workout app I’ve used.”
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced powerlifter, Strong provides everything you need to record your workouts as effortlessly and as quickly as possible. Unlike other fitness apps, Strong doesn’t bog you down with distractions and unnecessary gimmicks you’d never use.
Strong is optimized for a progressive barbell routine such as Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5×5, but it is easily adaptable to any other routine of your choosing!
• The simplest interface of any fitness app in the App Store
• A comprehensive range of cardio and strength exercises – and add your own too!
• Fully-featured Apple Watch app to log workouts with or without your iPhone
• Add your own routines and easily choose between them
• Detailed exercise instructions with a growing library of animated videos
• Advanced Statistics show your personal records and progression and even calculate your one rep max and total weight lifted!
• Built in Auto Countdown Timer to help record rest breaks
• Support for multiple Exercise Types, including Assisted Bodyweight and Duration Exercises
• Tag sets as Warm Up, Failure or Drop Sets
• Supersets/Grouped Exercises
• Track your progress with graphs for Volume and 1RM Progression
• Automatically back up your data with Cloud Sync!
• Built in body measurements tracker to record your weight and other vitals, with support for Apple Health
• Warm Up Calculator tells you which weights to warm up with
• Plate Calculator for when the weights get high
• Support for Imperial (lbs) and Metric (kg) weights, or a combination of both
• Add notes and progress pictures to your workouts
• Share sheet makes sharing routines and workouts with friends easier than ever!
• Export all of your data to Notes or Email in CSV format
The free version of Strong can save unlimited workouts, but is limited to 3 custom routines. Upgrade to a Strong PRO subscription ($4.99/month or $29.99/year) for an unlimited number of routines and to unlock additional PRO features.
Strong will automatically charge your iTunes Account at the end of your subscription or free trial period unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of your current period. Subscriptions renew at the original price. You can turn off auto-renew at any time and still receive full functionality until the end of your current period, but no refund can be provided for unused portions of the subscription. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
If you’ve previously purchased “Unlock Strong” or “Strong Combo Pack”, you’ll be able to use the Restore Purchases option in the app for access to all Strong PRO features.
These prices are for customers in the United States and may vary depending on your iTunes Account settings. In-app purchases and subscriptions cannot be shared using Family Sharing.
Strong Terms of Service – https://help.strongapp.io/article/179-strong-terms-of-service
7. WORKIT – Workout Tracker
“Train hard and train smart, workout with WORKIT as your premier workout tracking application. Ditch the pen and the notebook because WORKIT is faster, easier and more convenient. It’s like having your own personal trainer in the palm of your hands.
-WORKIT is a robust and easy to use workout tracker for gym and home workouts
-WORKIT has everything you need to create routines, log workouts, and analyze/visualize your progress
-Create and customize programs, daily workout routines, and exercises
-100’s of exercises included with HOW TO descriptions, animations, and YouTube video links
-Get started with popular programs (Stronglifts, Starting Strength, PPL, etc) or make your own
-Supports both Strength training and Cardio workouts and exercises
-Quick and easy methods to log exercises and take notes
-Rest timer and Stopwatch
-Statistics and One Rep Max data to help you analyze your progress
-Graphs, and Muscle Charts help you visualize your progress and find areas of improvement
-Calendar history of all your exercise logs
-Export exercise log data and view as spreadsheet
-Backup and restore your data via iCloud
-Log your bodyweight, body fat, and other body measurements
-Automatic BMI calculation
-Progress Graphs and Statistics
-Progress Pic Gallery: Import or use the camera to take progress photos
-Change things up with different app theme colors
-Includes 6 dark color themes and 6 light color themes
Workout with WORKIT today!”