If you are looking for the Best Lightweight Keyboard For Android to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 6 Best Lightweight Keyboard For Android that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 6 Best Lightweight Keyboard For Android, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
6 Best Lightweight Keyboard For Android
1. Simple Keyboard
To enable the keyboard:
* Open “Simple Keyboard” from your launcher
* Enable the Simple Keyboard (default system warning about tracking will be shown)
* Switch to Simple Keyboard from current Input Method (differs between keyboards, usually long-press space)
* To edit Simple Keyboard settings long-press “,” or open system Settings, Languages & Input, Simple Keyboard.
* You can enable/disable all the input methods in Settings, Languages & Input, Manage Keyboards (differs between phones)
* Small size (<1MB)
* Adjustable keyboard height for more screen space
* Number row
* Swipe space to move pointer
* Delete swipe
* Custom theme colors
* Minimal permissions (only Vibrate)
Features it doesn’t have and probably will never have:
* Spell checker
* Swipe typing
Application is open-source (link in the bottom of store page). Licensed under Apache License Version 2.”
2. Multiling O Keyboard + emoji
Super lightweight (~⅓MB) yet flexible and powerful.
– All in one, multilingual ( >200 languages)
– Accurate gesture input (swipe)
– Save battery power
– PC keyboard layout (DIY)
– Gesture oriented (super fast to enter special symbols, words or sentences)
– Resizable and easy positioning. Fits all screen sizes (phone, phablet, tablet…)
– Unlimited themes with style and color mixing (mix your very own shade of pink or purple ).
– Better color Emoji Sticker ⚽👍🙋 for Lollipop, KitKat, smiley 🙂 , emoticon 😁, symbols ★☏♘⚄ , kaomoji (ง°▼°)ง feel free to create your own ԅ(ˆ。ˆԅ)
– Fun text transformation tool: ξχ๑тïς тεχт, 🇧🇮🇬 , ⓒⓘⓡⓒⓛⓔⓓ or ｗｉｄｅ.
– Calculator i.e. (4+5)-(6-3)=6
– Split, floating (for ssh terminal) or dock.
– Multiple layouts: QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY, DVORAK… or design your own (DIY, Chubon, KALQ)
– 5-row or 4-row layouts
– Ultra customizable. The only one that let you design your own layout (DIY layout)
– Easy switch between languages, layouts, voice input, or even other keyboards.
– T9 prediction
– Flick or Multi-tap
– 日本語 romaji or Flick keyboard.
– 6 predefined layout for 한국어 (천지인, 나랏글, Flick…)
– Edit mode (lockable). You can select text, copy, cut and paste …
– Modern or retro (DIY)
– Colorful, pink, purple, neon or monochrome (Mix it yourself)
– Physical or Bluetooth keyboard (all keys can be remapped to the soft layout)
– No internet permission = safer
For color iOS 6 emoji, please install Emoji Codec 2
About the gesture input:
– The home brew “swipe” algorithm is very young, so don’t expect it works exactly like other swipe keyboards. I want to keep the algorithm simple and small.
– For long words, try not to swipe the whole word (You may append gesture).
– Make sharp corner for better prediction.
a.k.a The next generation of Multiling Keyboard, Tablet keyboard, DIY keyboard, emoji keyboard, Floating keyboard.(maybe conflict with Paranoid)
Fula; Fulah; Pulaar; Pular
Scottish Gaelic; Gaelic
International Phonetic Alphabet
Creek, Muskogee, Muscogee
Romanian, Moldavian, Moldovan
Kayah Li (Karenni)
Myanmar (Now let you choose Zawgyi)
Jealous of the cool new gesture navigation features on newer phones?
With Navigation Gestures, you don’t have to buy a new phone or wait for the next Android update to get swipe gesture controls. Navigation Gestures brings swipe gestures to any Android device! Replace the navigation bar buttons and get gesture controls with Navigation Gestures!
Best of all, Navigation Gestures can completely hide the stock navigation bar
without root! This is the first gesture control app with this feature.
Swipe left, right, up, or down. Swipe up and hold. Tap. Double tap. Long press. Go crazy and split the pill in 3! There’s a lot of ways you can use the gesture bar to control your phone. Don’t like how the gesture pill looks? Customize it!
Here’s everything you can do:
– Single tap
– Double tap
– Tap and hold (long press)
– Swipe up and hold
– Swipe left
– Swipe left and hold
– Swipe right
– Swipe right and hold
– Swipe up
– Swipe down
– Swipe up from left
– Swipe up and hold from left
– Swipe up from center
– Swipe up and hold from center
– Swipe up from right
– Swipe up and hold from right
– Recent apps
– Toggle split-screen (Android Nougat+)
– Open previous app (Android Nougat+)
– Open Assistant
– Hide pill
– Toggle navigation bar
– Pull down notifications
– Pull down quick settings
– Open power menu
– Skip to previous media track
– Skip to next media track
– Play/pause current media track
– Show keyboard switch dialog
– Launch app
– Lock screen
– Take screenshot
– Kill all background apps
– Rotate screen
– Toggle flashlight
– Toggle Bluetooth
– Toggle WiFi
– Toggle battery saver
– Toggle screen timeout
– Open volume panel
– Launch Activity
– Launch Shortcut
– Trigger Tasker Event
– Send Intent
– Toggle auto brightness
– Lower brightness
– Raise brightness
– Open app drawer
– Lower volume
– Raise volume
– Cycle ringer mode
– Toggle media volume mute
– Kill all background apps
– Hold back
– Go forward
– Open menu
– Kill current app
– Accessibility button (Android Oreo+)
– Choose accessibility button (Android Oreo+)
– Send keycode
– Send long-press keycode
– Send double-press keycode
Appearance (all free)
– Customize pill color
– Customize pill transparency
– Customize pill border color
– Customize pill corner radius
– Customize pill width/height
– Customize pill X/Y position
Behavior (all free)
– Blacklist pill/show NavBar in selected apps
– Customize sensitivity
– Customize vibration duration
– Customize animation duration
– Automatically hide pill after delay
– Many more
Setting up ADB: https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
– If your system navigation bar keeps hiding itself, run this ADB command:
adb shell settings delete global policy_control
Or, hit the “PROBLEMS?” button on the main screen and select the option that describes this issue.
– If you uninstalled the app without turning off “Hide Navigation Bar,” run this ADB command:
adb shell wm overscan reset
– If your lock screen icons are cut off, go to Settings>>Behavior>>Blacklisting and enable Don’t Hide NavBar on Lock Screen
Please visit this page for more details on the latest release and to find answers to frequently asked questions.
Check out the official XDA forum thread to leave feedback.
Please visit the GitHub page to report any issues you find.”
4. “Typewise Custom Keyboard – Big Keys, Emoji & Fonts”
Typewise is an Android & iPhone keyboard app that helps you to make fewer typos, improve typing speed, customize the keyboard the way you want (different keyboard themes, keyboard fonts, emoji keyboard) while enjoying 100% privacy.
Featured on: TechCrunch, Wired, Esquire, The Telegraph, Tech Radar, Mac Observer
💡 Did you know?
Current keyboards are based on the 140-year-old mechanical typewriter layout (QWERTY). Typewise is different. It’s the first font app that is specifically designed for smartphones. It’s revolutionary yet easy to use, and after a couple of messages you’ll love it.
Typewise provides you with a wide range of keyboard background options, emojis, text fonts, and other features, such as auto paste keyboard and emoji keyboard that will make its use fun and easy. Change fonts to any font you want to maximize your fonts keyboard experience.
Our patented honeycomb layout is superior to the QWERTY layout used by most keyboards such as Gboard, Swiftkey, Kika Keyboard, Go Keyboard, Grammarly, Fleksy, Paste keyboard, Chrooma, and Cheetah Keyboard that ensure a wide range of fonts and paste keyboard simplicity.
🤩 4X fewer typos
A recent study with 37,000 participants showed that on current keyboards 1 out of 5 words contains typos. With Typewise you finally get rid of these ARRGGHH-moments. Thanks to the hexagon layout, keys are 70% larger and much easier to hit. It helps you to make 4 times fewer typos. Typewise is great for people looking for big keys keyboard (large keys keyboard).
👋 Intuitive gestures
Swipe up to capitalize a letter, swipe left to delete or swipe right to restore. It’s as simple as that.
✨ Smart autocorrect
Stop getting annoyed by wrong autocorrections or senseless predictions. Typewise learns what you type and helps you write that perfect sentence. This makes it truly your custom keyboard.
🔒 100% privacy
What you write is personal. That’s why the keyboard runs locally on your device and none of your typing data is transmitted to the cloud. Other keyboards require dozens of permissions to access your calendar, contacts, files, GPS location and much more.
🗣️ Speaks your languages
With Typewise you can write in all your languages at once. Typewise fonts switch automatically. Typewise supports:
– English keyboard (US, UK, AU, Canada)
– Dutch (Belgium, Netherlands)
– French (France, Canada, Switzerland)
– German keyboard (Austria, Germany, Switzerland)
– Portuguese keyboard (teclado) (Portugal, Brazil)
– Spanish keyboard (Spain, Latin, USA teclados)
Typewise supports our honeycomb layout (especially for fans of Dvorak and Colemak keyboard layouts), traditional QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY keyboard layouts, and embedded emoji keyboard.
Use our honeycomb layout for a larger keyboard with big keys and large keys.
Get more with Typewise PRO
– Type in multiple languages without switching
– Get personalized word suggestions
– Additional 16 awesome themes (wallpapers, background)
– Create your own text replacements (shortcuts, copy paste)
– Turn on key vibration and set the perfect intensity
– Turn on tablet mode
– Change emoji style (emoji keyboard)
– Change font size (adjust fonts)
– Change swiping behavior
– Change space button sensitivity
– And many more
Typewise is optimized for smartphones with Android 6+ versions. Typewise is also a keyboard for iPhone
To improve tutorial, game and settings, we rely on basic and anonymous usage tracking, which can be turned off completely using the offline mode feature. The keyboard itself is not tracked at all.
5. Gboard – the Google Keyboard
Glide Typing — Type faster by sliding your finger from letter to letter
Voice typing — Easily dictate text on the go
Handwriting* — Write in cursive and printed letters
Emoji Search* — Find that emoji, faster
GIFs* — Search and share GIFs for the perfect reaction.
Multilingual typing — No more switching between languages manually. Gboard will autocorrect and suggest from any of your enabled languages.
Google Translate — Translate as you type in the keyboard
* Not supported on Android Go devices
Hundreds of language varieties, including:
Afrikaans, Amharic, Arabic, Assamese, Azerbaijani, Bavarian, Bengali, Bhojpuri, Burmese, Cebuano, Chhattisgarhi, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, and others), Chittagonian, Czech, Deccan, Dutch, English, Filipino, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hausa, Hindi, Igbo, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Khmer, Korean, Kurdish, Magahi, Maithili, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Northern Sotho, Odia, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Saraiki, Sindhi, Sinhala, Somali, Southern Sotho, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Tswana, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Xhosa, Yoruba, Zulu, and many more! Visit https://goo.gl/fMQ85U for the full list of languages supported
• Gesture cursor control: Slide your finger across the space bar to move the cursor
• Gesture delete: Slide left from the delete key to quickly delete multiple words
• Make the number row always available (enable in Settings → Preferences → Number Row)
• Symbols hints: Show quick hints on your keys to access symbols with a long press (enable in Settings → Preferences → Long press for symbols)
• One handed mode: On large screen phones, pin keyboard to the left or the right of the screen
• Themes: Choose your own theme, with or without key borders”
6. Big Buttons Keyboard Standard
Avoid those tiny, frustrating buttons on your smartphone keyboard and enjoy the most advanced smartphone keyboard layout in the world.
(attn. devs – the patented Delta II keyboard matrix can be licensed – see below*)
Big Buttons Keyboard also has bigger number & punctuation buttons, making EVERYTHING you type on your smartphone EASIER and more ACCURATE! Bigger buttons are easier to read too.
But the MAGIC is in the patented Delta II modified-QWERTY keyboard layout that is surprisingly fast, accurate & EXTREMELY quick-to-learn!!
A more powerful version of Big Buttons Keyboard is available – Big Buttons Keyboard DELUXE ($2.99) includes themes, emoji, voice-to-text microphone, word prediction, large cursor keys & more.
Note 1 – Important – Big Buttons will NOT work until it is installed!! Press the blue & green BB icon, then press “Installation – Important” at the top of the menu and do both installation steps – it’s easy.
Note 2 – All Android keyboard apps scare you with this warning: “Attention – This input method may be able to collect all the text you type…” Don’t worry. Big Buttons Keyboard is a safe app that requires no risky permissions to run. Big Buttons Keyboard does not collect any of your data, nor can it access your emails, internet, text messages, etc. like most apps do, so type with confidence.
Note 3 – If any download from the Android Market hangs, go to your: Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Market: Then Clear data and Clear cache. Then try to download again.
Ideal for senior citizens and anyone with diminished vision and other eyesight issues that affect the elderly.
About the Delta II Keyboard matrix:
Skydiving equipment designers consider the user’s muscle memory reflexes to make their products consistent and quick to learn & operate.
Chicago Logic uses the same muscle memory consideration to create a superior mobile keyboard having big, easy to read, accurate to press buttons – arranged in an ingenious layout that is learned almost instantly.
The patented Delta II tm modified QWERTY keyboard layout appeals to your muscle memory reflexes. Every letter is in proximity to where you already look and reach for it on your PC (QWERTY) keyboard.
The result? Your muscle memory reflexes cause you to learn and type on the new keyboard extremely fast.
With way fewer typos.
Whether reaching for emergency handles on a parachute harness, or reaching for buttons on a keyboard – you want your muscle memory reflexes working with you, not against you.
Delta II – Born for Mobile.
Welcome to Big Buttons Keyboard for Android.
* Attention mobile developers, manufacturers, integrators – don’t force impossibly small QWERTY on your customers. Give them a superior, proven mobile keyboard layout – designed for humans. License Delta II for use in smartphones, TV remotes, portable medical equipment, automobiles, aircraft cockpits, etc. Delta II is compatible with touch screens, hard button keyboards, next word predictors, swiper’s, stylus, handicapped accessibility, senior citizens and more.. US Patent 7,658,562. Contact: email@example.com”