If you are looking for the Best Mental Health Apps Android to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 7 Best Mental Health Apps Android that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 7 Best Mental Health Apps Android, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
7 Best Mental Health Apps Android
1. “CBT Guide to Depression Self-help: Mood Log, Diary”
“Learn to manage the factors that can contribute to depression. The natural management of depression involves understanding depression and the factors that contribute to the symptoms. Learning to manage stress in your life and engage in self-care behaviors can improve your symptoms and your mood.
Feel hopeful about changing your life! Learn about the cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) methods shown in psychological research to be effective in managing depression and anxiety.
This app provides education to be an informed consumer of mental health services and contains resources to use in collaboration with a health professional.
The tools provided in this app are derived from the CBT research base and developed into a user-friendly format by Dr. Monica Frank, a clinical psychologist specializing with the cognitive-behavioral treatment of anxiety and stress-related disorders for over 30 years.
CBT methods included in this app
1) Assistance audios
• learn to manage depressive symptoms
• Emotion Training — can be used simply as relaxation or to learn how to manage emotions
• Mindful Grounding — teaches you how to refocus during stressful situations
• Mindful Breathing
2) Dozens of other audios
• Guided Imagery — relaxation
• Quick Stress Relief — simple exercises
• Muscle Relaxation
• Children’s Relaxation
• Mindfulness Training
• many of the articles are also available in audio format
3) Qi Gong Videos
• a gentle, physical relaxation method
• PHQ depression screening
• other tests to help you learn about yourself
• Cognitive Styles Test, Your Happiness Assessment and more
5) Cognitive Diary
• step by step evaluation of an event that caused distress
• to help with cognitive restructuring
6) Healthy Activities Log
• track daily activities to motivate and make improvements
7) Mood Log
• record your moods throughout the day
• mood analysis feature: shows your average mood ratings for different actions or events
• graphs to track your mood
8) Daily Goals
• to plan your healthy activities
• use for treatment planning with therapist
• about depression
• explaining cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
• other mental health issues
About cognitive-behavioral therapy
CBT Guide to Depression Self-help by Excel At Life teaches you how to use the cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) methods in a simple format.
Learn the CBT methods shown by decades of psychological research to be effective for changing your emotions/moods and behavior that contribute to depression, anxiety and stress, as well as problems in relationships, career and physical health.
These CBT methods can be used as self-help for minor issues or can be used in collaboration with your therapist to develop a treatment plan best suited to your situation. The Daily Goals feature can be used to record your plan and completed activities.
• All personal data stored in your device.
• Download audios for offline use.
• Fully customizable: change the CBT terms (beliefs and definitions) used in the diary to conform with the system you are familiar with, add your own challenging statements for each belief, add moods/emotions, add healthy activities to track
• Password protection (optional)
• Daily reminder (optional)
• Examples, tutorial, articles
• Email entries and test results – useful for therapeutic collaboration”
2. Headspace: Mindful Meditation
“Meditate and sleep soundly. Headspace is your guide to practicing mindfulness in your everyday life. Learn how to relax, manage stress, and focus your energy to become more centered and well rested. Create a calm and positive environment with Headspace.
Guided meditation, sleep meditation, and breathing exercises on Headspace can help you stress less and sleep soundly. Learn mindfulness skills from world-class experts like former monk and Headspace co-founder Andy Puddicombe. Choose from hundreds of guided meditations on a new topic each day: anxiety, focus, relaxation, and more!
Meditation for every experience level and lifestyle. Meditate with friends and build your practice your way. Choose between short 3-minute sessions that fit seamlessly into a busy schedule, or longer meditations to set your intentions for the day. Listen to calming sounds and music with Sleep by Headspace, or release stress and tension through movement with Move Mode.
In just a few minutes a day, Headspace can help bring balance to your everyday life. Even if you’ve never meditated before, the Basics course teaches you meditation essentials.
Download Headspace today and be kind to your mind.
– Guided meditations and hundreds of mindfulness exercises
– Daily meditation practice on a new topic each day with Everyday Headspace
– Breathe easy with 3-minute mini-meditations for a quick mental reset
– Practice mindfulness with “Mindful Moments” to keep you present throughout the day
– Learn meditation skills and find answers to your mindfulness questions
– Relax for a more restful night with Sleep by Headspace
– Fall asleep with sleepcasts — calming stories paired with relaxing sounds
– Soothing sleep sounds with ambient nature recordings
– Tranquil sleep music to help you reach a deep slumber
– Start your day inspired with The Wake Up — a short, daily video series made to brighten your day
STRESS RELIEF & COPING MEDITATIONS
– Ease stress with “SOS” sessions for moments of anxiety
– Learn breathwork to help relax & calm down
– Build resilience with the Weathering the Storm collection
– Meditations to help you cope with sadness, anger & adapting to change
FIND FOCUS & BUILD PRODUCTIVITY
– Improve focus with meditations for working from home
– Boost your concentration & productivity with focus-enhancing music
– Focus music – Choose from 12 different stations to set the right mood for your day
– Tune in to the moment with Headspace’s Chief Music Officer, John Legend
CENTERED FITNESS & TENSION RELEASE
– Relieve stress and release everyday tension with Move Mode
– Mood boosting and motivating at home workouts
– Centered fitness courses: 28 days of mindful fitness and cardio
– Train with experts and Olympians Kim Glass & Leon Taylor
SUBSCRIPTION PRICING AND TERMS
Explore the full Headspace library — including hundreds of meditations, mindfulness training, and calming breathing exercises — with your membership or free trial.
○ Over 40 meditation courses on topics like stress and sleep
○ Dozens of one-off meditations and exercises to add mindfulness to your day
○ Short mini-meditations — great for busy schedules
○ Full access to Sleep by Headspace and Move Mode — bringing mindfulness and meditation to every part of your life”
3. MoodTools – Depression Aid
“If you are feeling sad, anxious, or depressed, lift your mood with MoodTools! MoodTools is designed to help you combat depression and alleviate your negative moods, aiding you on your road to recovery.
MoodTools contains several different research-supported tools. They include:
Thought Diary – Improve your mood by analyzing your thoughts and identifying negative / distorted thinking patterns based on principles from Cognitive Therapy
Activities – Regain your energy by performing energizing activities and tracking your mood before and after, based on Behavioral Activation Therapy
Safety Plan – Develop a suicide safety plan to keep you safe and utilize emergency resources during a suicidal crisis
Information – Read information, a detailed self-help guide, and find help with internet resources
Test – Take the PHQ-9 depression questionnaire to track your symptom severity
Video – Discover helpful YouTube videos that can improve your mood and behavior, from guided meditations to enlightening TED talks
MoodTools was designed in collaboration with multiple mental health professionals. MoodTools is free, contains no advertisements, and is a purely non-profit venture aimed at helping people suffering from clinical depression. Thank you for supporting our efforts with your positive ratings and reviews. Please send any requests, questions, or feedback via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be sure to respond to each one.
Disclaimer: This mental health application is not intended to be a replacement for treatment nor any sort of medical intervention. Treatment is, by far, the best way to overcome clinical depression or other mental illnesses. Therapy and antidepressants have been shown to effectively treat clinical depression and anxiety. This application will only aid you on your path to recovery from depression or anxiety. In addition, if you are not in treatment, talk to your doctor or therapist or use this app to find resources that can connect you to treatment.
While MoodTools is designed as a self-help mental health application to help people suffering from clinical depression, it can also assist people without mental illness or people suffering from other mental disorders / mental illnesses such as anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), bipolar disorder, seasonal affective disorder, dysthymia, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, or schizophrenia.
“Depression and anxiety inhibits to a person’s ability to ask for help. Making it THIS easy IS necessary for many people.”
Peer Support via your Trusted Contacts
Simple message to take the guesswork out of asking for help
Immediate help with notOK’s one tap solution
Accurate GPS location
Trusted contacts are NOT required to download app
Mental Health Resources at your fingertips
If no Trusted Contacts are available, user has the option of connecting to a local warmline or Crisis Text Line
Help is only the tap of a button away.
The notOK App® takes the guesswork out of asking for help when you’re feeling vulnerable. We’ll notify your trusted contacts that they’ve been selected as your support group, so when the time comes and you need to reach out, you’ll just have to open the app and press the large, red notOK® button.
HOW TO USE:
Register and confirm your email address and cellular number.
Add up to 5 trusted contacts’ (cellular phone numbers), using your native address book or manually.
Your trusted contacts will then either accept or decline the invitation. (Hey, it’s a big responsibility. Go easy on them.)
Once your trusted contacts are confirmed, you’re all set!
When you need to reach out for help, simply open the app and tap the large, red notOK Button.
A message along with your current GPS location will be sent to your contacts that reads: “Hey, I’m not OK! Please call, text, or come find me.”
If you do not receive a response from your trusted contacts, you have the option of contacting a local warmline or the Crisis Text Line for further support.
Update your support crew when you’re feeling better by pressing the green button.
*****Disclaimer: You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace, professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Call 911 if you are experiencing an emergency*****
We look forward to your feedback via e-mail: support@notOKapp.com
Web – https://www.notOKapp.com
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/notOKapp
Twitter – https://twitter.com/notOKapp
5. “TalkLife for Anxiety, Depression & Stress”
“TalkLife is all about support. Our community is full of people who have also felt alone, battled depression or living with anxiety and needed somewhere safe to talk. TalkLife is a positive community where people have real conversations about how they feel – lonely, misunderstood, unhappy, or actually feeling alright.
People use TalkLife to seek support for the bad times, but also celebrate the good ones. You, your thoughts, your feelings are important – don’t keep them bottled up. You can even vent anonymously.
You may feel bad now, but you’re not alone, and there are better times ahead. TalkLife is here for you through the shiny and the muck, and they can really lift you. Download TalkLife and say hello.
Download TalkLife and you can safely talk about any struggles and reach support across many areas including, anxiety, self-harm, living with depression, loneliness, PTSD, bipolar, suicidal thoughts, and many more.
*Please note, if you are in a crisis situation, please seek emergency support as soon as possible. Peer support should not be used if you are in an emergency situation.”
6. “Calm – Meditate, Sleep, Relax”
Who is Calm for?
Calm is for anyone, whether you’re brand new to meditation or a seasoned expert. It’s also for anyone who needs a mental break, a soothing sound, or a peaceful night’s rest. Our guided meditations are available in lengths of 3 to 25 minutes, so you can choose the perfect length to fit your schedule.
* Calming Anxiety
* Managing Stress
* Deep Sleep
* Focus and Concentration
* Breaking Habits
* Commuting to work or school
* Mindfulness at College
* Mindfulness at Work
* Walking meditation
* Calm Kids
* Body Scan
The app also features:
New Daily Meditation
Learn the life-changing skill of meditation with a new Daily Calm every day. We have meditations that are only 10 minutes long and can help you ease into work or study, or unwind before bed.
We have over 100 Sleep Stories, which are like bedtime stories for adults, narrated by well-known voices like Matthew McConaughey, LeBron James, Kate Winslet, Laura Dern, Lucy Liu & more.
Discover a music library that grows every week, with exclusive tracks from top artists like Keith Urban, Lindsey Stirling, and even Disney — all Yeah engineered to help your mind relax, focus, and get into a state of flow.
Get out of your head and into your body. Learn mindful movement and gentle stretching for every body type with our short video lessons.
To begin your meditation practice, try life-changing 7-day and 21-day programs, taught by world-renowned experts in the field of mindfulness.
Calm your nerves and relax your mind with more than 30 soothing nature sounds and scenes to use during meditation, yoga, or to help you sleep. Try out LeBron’s favorite soundscape, “Rain on Leaves.”
Use breathing exercises to help you relax, unguided and open-ended meditation where you are the leader, and track your progress with daily streaks and time spent meditating.
Calm is free to download and use. There are never any ads and some of the programs and features are free forever. Some content is only available through an optional paid subscription. If you choose to subscribe, payment will be charged to your Google Account at confirmation of purchase.
Also, be sure to check out our brand new app for Wear OS devices.
What is Calm?
Our mission is to make the world a happier and healthier place. It’s both simple and big. Through our website, blog, and app—filled with meditations, sleep stories, music, movement, and more—we’re redefining what mental health care looks like in 2021 and beyond. With over 100 million users worldwide, 100,000 new users daily, and our growing partnerships with major companies, we’re having a positive effect on more and more people each day. And while the heart of Calm is digital, we’re growing and expanding offline with products like our best-selling Sleep Mist, our mindful puzzle collection, and collaborations like our Tuft and Needle meditation pillow, to help deliver on our mission of health and happiness, world over.
Calm is recommended by top psychologists, therapists, mental health experts, and the press:
* “I’m generally wary of meditation apps because they sometimes weave in too much mystic talk for my taste. But Calm instead contains guidance like ‘Concentrate on your body’” – New York Times
* “In the frenetic, crazy, digital world we live in, sometimes it’s necessary to take a step back and smell the roses” – Mashable
* “Eliminating distraction…ended up helping me relax and realize that all the stuff I was stressing about wasn’t that big a deal” – Tech Republic
* “Found myself similarly refreshed afterward” – TechCrunch”
7. RR Eating Disorder Management
“Recovery Record is the smart companion for managing your journey to recovery from eating disorders including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, obsessive eating disorder, binge eating disorder, ARFID, and compulsive eating disorder.
Our team are on a mission to re-invent boring and punishing pen-and-paper mood and meal monitoring homework by converting it into a rewarding App that you can count on.
With Recovery Record you can:
✓ Keep a record of meals, thoughts and feelings from the privacy of your mobile phone.
✓ Collect jigsaw pieces to earn hidden rewards.
✓ Customise your log form, meal plan, reminder schedules and alarm tones.
✓ Share your Recovery Record with your treatment team, so they can help you to understand your behavioural trends and triggers.
✓ Receive and send anonymous encouragement messages and virtual gifts from/to 1000s of other people using the App.
✓ Access 1000s of meditation images and affirmation messages.
Perfect for every stage of recovery from anorexia, bulimia, OED, BED, CED and other eating disorders.
Learn more at http://recoveryrecord.com”