If you are looking for the Best Uk Bird App For iPhone to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 8 Best Uk Bird App For iPhone that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 8 Best Uk Bird App For iPhone, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
8 Best Uk Bird App For iPhone
1. All Birds UK – the Photo Guide
No other UK bird app offers the following:
– includes all 594 UK species listed by the British Ornithologists’ Union Records Committee (BOURC)
– more selected images than any other UK bird app on the market (2653)
– NEW: most advanced Compare mode of any bird app – compare up to 16 species
– UK specific info (not just European general information)
– Egg photos of 80 % of all UK species
– Spectrograms of all songs
– Detailed UK distribution maps
– Irregular visitors are marked in red and can be switched off
– All 2653 images labeled
– Sort and display species: A-Z, 19 different languages, taxonomic
– 713 bird songs and calls of 85 % of all UK species
– Create sighting lists and sort by place, date, group, and name
– Automatically plots all birds on a map via GPS, which can be edited
– Make notes for each bird spotted
– A simple identification key narrows the species down
Developed by passionate field ornithologists and published ecologists!
Choose between 19 (!) bird name languages:
Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Latvian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, and Swedish)
Narrow species down by foot colour, bill shape, length of tail etc. leading to the bird searched for and a choice of similar species. You can also look for fragments of a species name through a search screen – the search for “finch“, for example, shows all the species which include the word “finch“ in the species’ name.
Birdwatch magazine writes:
“This is many more species than in other apps” and “it provides what you need to identify pretty much anything while out birding”.
***A graphically well-designed layout – easy to use with large lettering.***
“All Birds UK” is very well suited for keeping personalised bird watch lists.
The app will continuously be developed further. In the future, more photos and songs will be added constantly as well as new identification features.
All updates are free of charge. Once downloaded no internet connection needed – just download the app and start birding!
Visit our internet support site for more information on www.sunbird.tv. We are happy, if you like our app. Please don’t hesitate to email us if you have any questions or suggestions or comments at: firstname.lastname@example.org”
2. Bird Codes
Are you looking for a way to speed up your field notes so you can focus on actually looking at birds? Do you see birders using codes for birds on listservs and want to look them up? Do you want to enter your eBird checklists faster?
Alpha codes are four letter abbreviations assigned to bird species as a quick way to refer to them. These codes are commonly used in field notes to quickly record sightings and other situations where writing down the entire species name is impractical. This app allows you to search and learn the alpha codes created using the Pyle and DeSante (2003) system which defines alpha codes for all 2078 species recorded in the AOU (American Ornithologists’ Union) area. You can quickly search by either the birds name or by the alpha code.
3. Birds of Britain Pro
“Birds Of Britain Pro is a guide to over 300 British birds, native and naturalised, with specially written text, professionally produced bird songs and calls, and carefully selected photos showing a variety of plumages. You can add your own photos to the app to compliment the images provided and to really make the app your own. In addition, this is the only quality bird app to include extensive record keeping features with iCloud syncing to keep your data safe. The app knows the names of a further 350 species that have visited or might visit Britain in the future, so that notes can be kept and they can be marked as seen.
“A twitcher’s dream” – Matt Bingham, The Sunday Times
Selected by Apple for their “What’s Hot” list since launch.
Birds of Britain Pro is a field guide:
• High quality photos for each bird, showing a selection of male, female, juvenile, alternate plumage, flight image and nest
• For many birds, an annotated photo shows key features, to help distinguish similar species
• Add your own photos of the bird or its habitat
• Specially written text covers rarity status, distribution, appearance, habitat, diet, lifespan, nesting habits, and more
• Recordings of songs and calls
• European distribution map for each bird
• Make a shortlist of favourite birds for fast access
• ‘Here and Now’ feature shows birds in your part of the country and this time of year
• Search by name, scientific name, part of name
• Sort alphabetically by name or second name, by taxonomic group, or by length
Birds of Britain Pro is a bird identifier:
• Use the ‘Bird Finder’ for fast identification of unknown birds
• Enter details such as size, colour, bill length and other features, date, habitat and location to select a shortlist
• Results are presented as a display of photos so that you can quickly spot the best match
Birds of Britain Pro is a record keeper:
• Mark birds as seen, note the location, time and date, make notes, view your records on a map or as a list, and download as a CSV file.
• Add your own photos to your sightings
• The app includes iCloud syncing so that your sightings will automatically synchronise across your devices (it is initially off, so if you would like to use it, please go to the Settings section of the app to enable it).
• You can transfer your sightings to someone else’s device by using the email back-up.
• The app recognises the names of over 650 species and subspecies, so that you can record sightings and add your own photos of these birds.
We have many years experience of developing biological software and this has enabled us to pack the app full of features while keeping it simple and easy to use.
To get in touch:
Contact form: www.spinysoftware.com/contact
4. Collins Bird Guide
‘The Collins Bird Guide app is destined to become a real triumph, the ultimate in field guide apps — and deservedly so.’
The Collins Bird Guide App combines world-class illustrations and comprehensive information with intuitive design to create the ultimate field guide for passionate birders and casual birdwatchers alike. The app is based on the landmark book by Lars Svensson, Killian Mullarney and Dan Zetterström, universally acknowledged as the standard European field guide. This definitive work has been reimagined for iPad and iPhone by birders for birders.
The Collins Bird Guide App provides everything you need to identify a species quickly and learn about it thoroughly. Immerse yourself in the exceptional illustrations, maps, calls and concise text. Use the powerful search filter and curated confusion lists to focus in on a species. The Collins Bird Guide App is an essential companion always to hand on your iPhone, and available to browse in full glory on your iPad.
• Over 700 species covered
• 3500+ beautiful illustrations by Killian Mullarney and Dan Zetterström
• Detailed text covering habitat, range, identification and voice by Lars Svensson
• Record sightings, location and date with the listing tool
• Powerful search filter
• Intuitive design to quickly and easily swipe through species
• Curated lists of confusable species
• Over 750 carefully selected songs and calls – many by Lars Svensson
• Select species names from 18 languages
• Expertly edited video clips for all 794 species in the app (In-App Purchases)
• Available in English, Swedish, Norwegian, French and German
• Weighs nothing!
As well as the optional video library, the app incorporates British Trust for Ornithology/BirdWatch Ireland/Scottish Ornithologists’ Club Bird Atlas 2007–11 mapping data as an in-app purchase, providing the most comprehensive location mapping of any bird guide app.
Find out more about the app and its creators: collinsbirdguideapp.com
The Collins Bird Guide app requires iOS 9.0 or later.
If you like the Collins Bird Guide app, don’t forget to share the app, rate it and leave a review.”
5. iBird Pro Guide to Birds
“iBird Pro, the first complete birding app for the iPhone, is now guided by the 2019-2020 American Ornithological Union (AOU) standard and is 100% compatible with iOS 14. Besides including all 967 species of birds of North America, iBird Pro contains databases for four other regions: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Hawaii, and the famous island nation of Palau. And it’s not just a digital field guide; a fascinating new feature called Photo Sleuth uses AI so you can identify a bird from any photo you take or upload.
Released in 2008, iBird was the first comprehensive birding app for the iPhone loaded with features that inspired Apple to put iBird in their famous videos “We have an app for that.” iBird offers functionality that sets it apart from all other birding apps. For example, only iBird offers both photographs and field-marked illustrations for every species. Of course, the beauty of drawings is that the illustrator can emphasize the important identification markings of the bird family, something photographs can’t do. For this very reason, iBird offers composite illustrations. Photographs, on the other hand, let you see how the species appear in real life. So, to optimize your experience, iBird includes both drawings with toggled field marks along with multiple photos of almost every species of bird—usually of the male, female, juvenile, and subspecies. We also include in-flight photos for many of the species.
As we just mentioned, every one of the 967 species accounts contains a detailed field marks layer for each illustration. The layer can be toggled on or off to highlight important identification characteristics along with calling out similar species. These field mark layers sit on top of illustrations that are all high-resolution composite HDR drawings showing each species in its natural environment and can be zoomed until you can see fine feather details.
And to augment your ability to identify a species, iBird not only contains over 4,000 bird song and call vocalizations but also provides the AI-based photo recognition feature—iBird Photo Sleuth. Photo Sleuth can identify a bird from any photograph, even poor photos taken with your smartphone or tablet. Watch a short slide show of how Sleuth works here: bit.ly/ibirdsleuth. A stand-alone version of Photo Sleuth is also available in the app store.
But we’ve saved the best for last—iBird’s best feature is its comprehensive birding search engine that can turn anyone into an expert birder. The engine comes with over 35 characteristics that can be searched (such as body color, GPS location, habitat, bill shape, song type, etc.).
No internet connection is required to use iBird in the field as it has a self-contained database of all content.
The iBird Pro architecture is now “consolidated,” i.e., its default North America database can be supplemented with databases of other countries. You can purchase these additional databases from inside iBird, and instantly switch between them inside the app. Furthermore, you can install iBird Pro on multiple devices and share it with your family plan so that, with one app, everyone can enjoy thousands of new species.
In addition to all of the features we’ve mentioned, iBird Pro offers these fantastic in-app purchase features: Birds Around Me (BAM)—shows just those species within a radius surrounding your GPS location, Percevia™ smart search—a patented feature that helps you identify birds just like the birding experts, Time-of-Day—lets you search for birds by activity levels during day or night, dawn, dusk, etc., and Owls of Mexico—which includes illustrations with field marks, range maps, songs and calls for 16 remarkable Owl species.
Version 1254 adds 38 new illustrations—to see these go to Search > Illustration Update > 12.4.
More Details of iBird Pro Version 12.6.2: http://ibird.com/whats-new/whats-new.html”
6. iBird UK Pro Guide to Birds
“iBird United Kingdom and Ireland Pro, the world’s most popular identification app to birds of the UK, is now available as Version 10.06. iBird UK Pro now offers two powerful features: Birds Around Me (BAM) and Percevia™ smart search. Smart search lets you identify birds just like the experts while BAM only shows species that are found in your GPS area. We’ve also added our new Time of Day search feature which lets you filter birds by activity intervals during day or night (Cathemeral), dawn and dusk (Crepuscular), during the day (Diurnal) or during the night (Nocturnal).
More Details of What’s New: bit.ly/ibird-whatsnew
Whether you are an experienced birder or a beginner at birding, iBird UK Pro contains more birds than any UK app, including 343 common and rare species designated by the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO).
With the iBird UK Pro’s avian matching system you can search for birds by color, location, shape, habitat or any one of our 38 identification field marks to find your bird. iBird’s comprehensive species pages have 1,200 built-in bird songs, 1,500 professional high resolution bird photographs, 900 hand drawn composite illustrations and over 350 range maps.
Version 10.06 of iBird UK Pro Guide to Birds now includes iCloud for backing up and sharing your own photos, notes and favorites among all your devices and a migration feature for moving from Dropbox to iCloud.
** NOTE If you would like to try out iBird with no financial investment, check the newly released iBird UK LITE Free Guide to Birds of North America. It has all the features of paid iBird UK Pro, but contains just 50 species. And it’s completely FREE. **
Whether you are an experienced birder or a beginner, iBird UK is the most authoritative guide to UK Birds you’ll need.
iBird UK Pro Version 10.06 now contains these exciting features:
● iPhone X and retina-mode compatibility.
● Birds Around Me and Percevia smart search now available as in-app purchases.
● iBird now takes advantage of the high-resolution retina displays of the iPhone and iPad so the screen shows more information than ever.
● Contains the latest 2017 BTO checklist.
● View all birds by head which makes identification easier.
● Back up and sync favorites and notes with iCloud and share with all your devices and your friends.
● Fun new birder’s “stickers” to spruce up your text in Messages.
iBird UK contains these time-tested features:
● The ‘Birds Around Me’ narrows the search list to just those birds centred on your GPS location, within a specified radius and a specific season.
● The patented Percevia™ intelligent search prevents you from making the wrong choice when searching for your bird.
● The only birding app that includes both Illustrations and Photos.
● Spectrographic audio display brings insight to the structure of bird songs by allowing you to view the sound’s frequency components.
● Every species is shown perched and in flight and most show major seasonal, age and male/female variations.
● Identify 343 species of both native and rare birds.
● Save multiple personal species lists and your sightings in Notes which can be backed up and synced in iCloud.
● Hundreds of carefully selected and edited sound recordings from the Xeno-Canto Community of bird song recordists.
● Filter birds by countries, regions and coasts, so that you see only the species likely to occur in your location.
● iBird’s icon-driven visual search engine, with 35 attributes, enables you to identify birds using shape, colour, location, habitat, head pattern, flight pattern, bill shape, length and much more.
● Search by common name, Latin name and the BTO 5 band code.
● Comprehensive seasonal and migratory range maps include subspecies.
We invite all users to share their comments and ideas on our forum at www.whatbird.com/forum/”
7. Merlin Bird ID by Cornell Lab
Merlin Bird ID helps you identify birds with ease. You’ll get personalized results of birds to expect based on the time of year and your location or your choice of regions around the world, including a digital field guide with more than 80,000 photos and sounds, plus maps, and ID tips! Merlin is the most fully featured and global bird app available, and the only one enabling both sound and photo identification powered by AI.
Merlin offers four fun ways to identify birds. Get guided bird ID assistance by answering a few simple questions and, like magic, Merlin will reveal a list of birds that match your description. If you have a photo of a bird that you can’t ID, tap “Photo ID” to identify your bird. Do you hear a bird that you don’t recognize or can’t see? Tap “Sound ID” to record the bird you are hearing and Merlin will show you which species are most likely, in real time! Or you can pick “Explore Birds” and Merlin will show you all the birds most likely to be around you on that day.
Merlin is free, fun, and easy to use—whether you’re curious about a bird you’ve seen once or you’re hoping to identify every bird you can find. The answers are waiting for you with this free ID app and field guide from the renowned Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE MERLIN
• Merlin is for everyone! Merlin was created for bird watchers, nature lovers, and anyone who is curious about birds.
• Easily identify the birds you see or hear and build your birding skills.
• Customized to your backyard or wherever you travel so you’ll never be without a bird guide.
• Intelligent results. Merlin shows the birds near you that match your description, photo, or sound recording. No more scanning through hundreds of possibilities!
• Merlin is the only app that uses advanced AI technology to help you identify a bird in a photo or a sound recording.
• Expert ID tips, range maps, photos, and sounds help you learn even more about the birds you spot.
• Merlin lets you build a life list! Save the birds you identify to keep track of the birds you’ve seen.
• Merlin is completely free!
• Choose bird packs that contain photos, songs, and calls, and identification help for many regions around the world, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America, Europe, South Africa, Kenya, Northern Africa, the Middle East, Asia, India, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, and more. New regions are added every month.
• More than 50,000 photos of birds, including males, females, and juveniles.
• Listen to beautiful bird sounds, including more than 30,000 songs and calls curated by the Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
• Identification tips in English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Hebrew, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese, depending on the range of the species.
• Powered by eBird and the Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology to deliver the most accurate results based on millions of sightings, photos, and sounds from bird watchers across the world.
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s goal is to help you and millions of others to learn about birds. Our nonprofit mission to improve the understanding and protection of birds and nature is made possible by the generosity of Cornell Lab members, supporters, and citizen-science contributors.
Photo ID is powered by Visipedia and uses computer vision and deep learning technology to identify birds in photos. Merlin learns to recognize bird species based on training sets of millions of photos and sounds from birders at eBird.org. When using Photo ID, enter the date and location where you took the photo; those clues improve Merlin’s accuracy by helping it focus on the species you most likely encountered there.”
8. Smart Bird ID (Europe)
“Identify birds with your camera or your microphone! Just point to the bird and we’ll ID it for you. Over 1000 bird species from the UK (England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland) and the rest of Europe are available, with plenty more from around the world.
With Smart Bird ID, you’ll:
• Instantly identify birds by sound (song ID) or image (photo ID)
• Add observations to your journal, and sync them across your devices
• Share your identified birds with others, and learn more about birds in your area
• Listen to bird calls and songs, and learn their sound repertoire
• Improve your identification skills with fun quizzes
• Set alerts to be notified when specific birds are near or in your garden
Why you’ll love Smart Bird ID:
• Beautiful design and simple to use, wether you’re a beginner or an advanced birder
• Easy-to-maintain lists help you keep track of the birds in your garden or in the field
• Huge international community, with birders sharing observations every day
• Works offline so you can ID birds everywhere
• Built & designed by a birder that’s sweating the details to make the perfect birding app
Upgrade to Smart Bird ID Pro to:
• Unlock every feature in the app with no ads
• Never lose an identified bird with cloud backup (includes photos, video and audio)
• Sync your observations across your devices
• Create memorable bird lists like life, year and yard lists
• Create a birding profile and share your observations with the community
• Set bird alerts to know about visitors in your garden or backyard
• Unlock international birds
If you purchase a Smart Bird ID Pro annual membership, payment will be charged to your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current subscription period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current subscription period.
Automatic renewals will cost the same price you were originally charged for the subscription.
Subscriptions may be managed by going to your Account Settings after purchase.
Any unused portion of a free trial period will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription.