If you are looking for the iPhone Best Kanji App to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 7 iPhone Best Kanji App that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 7 iPhone Best Kanji App, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
7 iPhone Best Kanji App
1. AnkiMobile Flashcards
“AnkiMobile is a mobile companion to Anki, a powerful, intelligent flashcard program that is free, multi-platform, and open-source. Sales of this app support the development of both the computer and mobile version, which is why the app is priced as a computer application.
AnkiMobile was written by the lead developer of Anki and AnkiWeb, and it has been around since 2010. Beware other apps using “Anki” in their name that have sprung up recently – they are not compatible with the rest of the Anki ecosystem, and they offer far fewer features.
Some of AnkiMobile’s features include:
– A free cloud synchronization service that lets you keep your card content synchronized across multiple mobile and computer devices. This makes it easy to add content on a computer and then study it on your mobile, easily keep your study progress current between an iPhone and iPad, and so on.
– The same proven scheduling algorithm that the computer version of Anki uses, which reminds you of material as you’re about to forget it.
– A flexible interface designed for smooth and efficient study. You can set up AnkiMobile to perform different actions when you tap or swipe on various parts of the screen, and control which actions appear on the tool buttons.
– Comprehensive graphs and statistics about your studies.
– Support for large card decks – even 100,000+ cards.
– If your cards use images or audio clips, the media is stored on your device, so you can study without an internet connection.
– A powerful search facility that allows you to find cards that match criteria such as ‘tagged high priority, answered in the last ten days and not containing the following words’, and automatically place them into a deck to study.
– Support for displaying mathematical equations with MathJax, and rendering LaTeX created with the computer version.
– Support for adding images drawn with the Apple Pencil to your cards.
Please note that AnkiMobile is currently intended as a companion to the computer version of Anki, rather than a complete replacement for it. While AnkiMobile is able to display and schedule your cards in the same way the computer version does, certain changes like modifying note types need to be done with the computer software. Add-ons are not supported, so while you can study image occlusion cards created with the computer version, they can not be created within AnkiMobile. For this reason, please start with the computer version of Anki before you think about buying this app.
The cloud synchronization service is optional, and data can also be imported/exported from the app via a USB cable or AirDrop.
Like all apps, AnkiMobile can be purchased once and then used on multiple devices in a household using the same Apple ID. Family sharing is also supported. For information on bulk discounts for educational institutions, please see Apple’s Volume Purchase Program.
For more information on AnkiMobile, including a link to the online manual, please have a look at the support page: https://docs.ankimobile.net/
If you have any questions or want to report an issue, please let us know on our support site and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.”
2. FluentU – Learn languages
Tired of boring language learning textbooks? FluentU brings languages to life with real-world interactive videos!
Learn to read and speak Spanish, French, English, Mandarin Chinese, German, Japanese, Russian, Korean and Italian with FluentU.
“Great app. To my knowledge the best on the market. You created something unique and new!”
– Felix Wedel
“It is more helpful than any other tool I’ve used. I had been using podcasts before and trying to make flashcards, and that worked pretty well. But, it ended up that I was spending more time making the flashcards than studying. FluentU really solves this.”
– David Brown
“FluentU has quickly become one of my favorite language-learning tools. Great job on an aesthetically pleasing app and an incredibly functional one.”
– Justin Price
“This concept in FluentU is amazing. It’s such a great way to help you understand a spoken language and the way you break it down is amazing.”
– Demi Pradolin
“This app is so fun and useful – the best Chinese language learning app I’ve ever used.”
– Richard Jun
Learn a language with music videos, movie trailers, news, and inspiring talks.
No matter what your skill level or interest, we’ve got you covered.
FluentU turns fun videos into amazing language learning experiences.
FluentU premium is available as a monthly ($29.99 for Plus) or yearly subscription ($239.99 for Plus). If you enjoy FluentU, do nothing and your membership will automatically continue for as long as you choose to remain a member. You can easily cancel anytime, online, 24 hours a day. Just sign up to get started!
If you subscribe via iTunes: Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user’s Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
3. Japanese : Learn Kanji JLPT
We have more over 5 years of experience working in the field of Japanese language education. We understand the difficulty of learning Japanese. Since then, we have researched and created this Japanese learning application to help you learn Japanese effectively by yourself.
Features of the application:
1. More than 2300 beautifully designed essential Kanji for learning efficiently .
– Study Kanji feature: Kanji is shown specifically how to read Onyomi, Kunyomi and its examples. Each example has sounds which help you practice effectively and help you distinguish the differences between onyomi and kunyomi pronunciation.
The favorite feature helps you to store your favorite kanji words so you can easily manage it
– FlashCard practice feature: Kanji is displayed with 4 modes: displaying kanji, choosing the correct answer, matching the correct answer, listening and choosing the correct answer
– Test Quiz feature: It helps you check your Kanji learning process. The completed results will be displayed in the kanji lesson header
2. Learn 10000 Japanese Vocabulary
◇ 1000 JLPT N5 Japanese Vocabulary with 12 topics
◇ 1500 JLPT N4 Japanese Vocabulary with 7 topics
◇ 2000 JLPT N3 Japanese Vocabulary with 12 topics
◇ 2500 JLPT N2 Japanese Vocabulary with 12 topics
◇ 3000 JLPT N1 Japanese Vocabulary with 14 topics
– Listen to a single vocabulary, listen to examples. You can not only learn vocabulary but also imitate Japanese pronunciation. Please experience learning vocabulary and listening practice with the app
– Listen to the whole lesson. After each lesson, you should listen to the entire lesson to review and remember the words you have learned before. You can review the previous lesson by listening and remembering the meaning of the word. Always use it. A super cool function of the app.
– Learn vocabulary with FlashCard: The vocabulary in the lesson will be randomly displayed. When you click on the center of the card, it will show the meaning of the vocabulary and pronunciation sound. You can click on the left of the card to return to the previous and click on the right of the card to switch to a new word. All of them are reciprocal animated very pretty. There is an on-off function for your practice.
– Listening and writing vocabulary: The vocabulary in the lesson will also be random and show the meaning only. In the beginning, the sound will be played then you enter the word in the box and press the check button to check your results. You can listen to the vocabulary one more time if you want.
– Practice vocabulary test: After each lesson, there is a practice test. Remember to complete it, the results will be updated to the completion of the lesson.
– Vocabulary notebook: Save the vocabulary that you do not know or do not remember in your vocabulary book by clicking on the star next to the vocabulary. There is a vocabulary review function in your notebook which help you practice and remember longer.
– The function of completing the lesson: when you do not practice, it will automatically save the results and mark your progress.
3. Practice listening and improve conversation ability
With more than 60 Japanese conversations and 1800 basic Japanese conversation sentences, this app will help you improve your communication ability
4. Learn the Hiragana and Katakana alphabets”
4. Kanji GO – Learn Japanese
Kanji GO includes the following features:
– More than 1900 Japanese Kanji divided in Noken levels, from JLPT N5 to JLPT N1!
– More than 5900 curated Vocabulary words to practice your Japanese knowledge!
– Full Hiragana and Katakana alphabets.
– A paced progression system to learn new Kanjis, Hiragana and Katakana little by little.
– Audio exercises!
– Writing examples for all Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana.
– Different exercises to practice and improve your skills.
– Exams to test your full knowledge.
– A visual system to see your progress with each Kanji and Vocabulary word individually.
– A star rating system to keep track of your progress.
– Dark theme, if you prefer to study at night!”
5. Kanji Teacher – Learn Japanese
“R.: »The best kanji app available.«
B.: »Carefully crafted app. Very nice done.«
S.: »I’m using this app every day, it’s addicting. I have tried a lot of other apps, but this one I love!.«
K.: »A blessing to those wanting to master Japanese reading and writing.«
P.: »This is the best kanji learning app in the App Stores.«
Kanji Teacher is free. There’s no advertising and no in-app purchases are necessary – it’s just free, pure and simple.
Kanji Teacher knows not only all the 2,136 jōyō kanjis and their readings, but also the 8,000 most common Japanese words and how to pronounce them. This unique combination enables you to learn the Kun- and On-readings of the kanjis and apply and test what you have learnt straight away: both how to read a word and how to write a word you know.
Kanji Teacher has more features you’ll love:
○ Practise your writing with Kanji Teacher! Every stroke is analysed: do the position, direction and order match up with the correct way of writing? Kanji Teacher helps you out with hints to begin with, but as you progress further you’ll be on your own.
○ Kanji Teacher is also a Kana teacher: learn how to read and write Hiragana and Katakana.
○ Kanji Teacher comes with two dedicated tutors – one for Kana and one for Kanji. These tutors will accompany you through the entire learning process, explain Kanji Teacher, introduce new characters, present the tests and celebrate achievements.
○ Kanji Teacher uses multiple choice so you can be sure that you really do know the answer. And it also compiles the possible answers intelligently, ensuring that they all make sense and are similar to the correct answer, because Kanji Teacher is a teacher after all – it’s strict, but this helps you learn more quickly.
○ Kanji Teacher uses a Leitner system so you can learn easy kanjis quickly and focus on the more difficult ones.
○ Kanji Teacher comes with around 6,000 sample sentences: Around 8,000 tests have been created based on these sentences, where the corresponding Kanji is omitted and has to be found. In addition you will find tests for 127 important geographical locations in Japan and over 1,300 Japanese first names and surnames together with their reading.
○ Kanjis can be grouped by JLPT level and school year and, most importantly, you can switch between both views without losing what you have already done.
○ Up to eight learning lists can be managed, searched, and the Kanas, Kanjis and radicals assigned. Additionally, Kanjis detailed in sections of popular textbooks and Kanken test groups can be assigned to one of these lists.
○ You can choose the correct answer, check it and move on to the next question with just one touch of the screen, which speeds up your learning and progress.
○ Kanji Teacher comes with Ulrike’s Mnemonics, which were provided by Joy o’ Kanji,a site where you can find playful, informative, photo-filled essays about each of the 2,136 Joyo Kanji.
○ Learning of radicals is supported in many different ways: with dedicated tests and an Analyze screen that shows which Kanjis are made up of them.”
6. KanjiQ – Japanese Kanji AD
Stroke order in this application are used under license from KanjiVG. KanjiVG is copyright (c) 2009 Ulrich Apel.”
7. Learn Japanese! – Kanji
– Lessons include both On and Kun readings
– Levels cover JLPT Kanji lists
– Easy show and quiz style teaching Method.
– English to Japanese and Japanese to English.
– Easily review previously learned lessons.
– Audio pronunciation.
– Network access not required.