If you are looking for the The Best Obd2 Android App to download for free, look no further.
Our expert panel of reviewers has tested dozens of apps and we have compiled a list of the 7 The Best Obd2 Android App that passed our tests.
Check out our list of the 7 The Best Obd2 Android App, tried and tested by our expert reviewers.
7 The Best Obd2 Android App
1. OBD Auto Doctor car scanner
Ever wonder why the check engine light or MIL keeps going on? Check and reset the diagnostic trouble codes with this OBD2 diagnostic app.
With an OBD scanner, you can quickly and easily communicate with your car’s onboard system and turn your mobile into a highly capable automotive car scanner.
▸ OBD Auto Doctor is an ideal app for everyone interested in knowing their car better. Whether you want to monitor vehicle data in real-time or track car performance, this is a must-have tool and the only OBD-II software you need!
Capabilities and benefits:
• Read readiness monitor status to make sure your car is ready for emissions testing
• Read On-Board Diagnostic Monitors for advanced diagnostics
• Read Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), Freeze Frame, and clear the codes and MIL
• Select PIDs on the dashboard to track them in live
• Monitor fuel consumption while you drive and save money on fuel (gasoline/diesel)
• View parameter and sensor data (such as engine coolant temperature or torque) in real-time to detect abnormalities
• Monitor OBDII sensor data in numerical or graphical presentation
• Support for multiple electronic control units such as engine, transmission, etc.
Some additional features:
• Send diagnostic data via email
• Record and send sensor data via email as .csv format
• Read Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), Calibration Identifications and Calibration Verification Numbers of ECU
• Build-in DTC database with over 18000 trouble codes, including thousands of manufacturer specific codes
• Support for both imperial (English) and metric units
OBD Auto Doctor supports all cars sold worldwide compatible with OBD2 or EOBD. As a general guideline, your car is most likely to be compliant if it fulfills one of the requirements listed below:
• USA: All cars and light trucks manufactured since 1996 (OBD2)
• EU, Gasoline: Registered in the EU after 1 January 2001 (EOBD)
• EU, Diesel: Registered in the EU after 1 January 2004 (EOBD)
• See https://www.obdautodoctor.com/faq for the compatibility info for other countries
The app requires a separate OBD adapter using Bluetooth, BLE, or Wifi to communicate with the car. Just plug the ELM327 compatible scan tool into the car’s diagnostics port, and you are ready for car inspection. We recommend avoiding the cheap clone ELM devices and using genuine ELM327 adapters.
Check the Quick Start Guide to get started:
• Bluetooth adapters: https://www.obdautodoctor.com/OBD-Auto-Doctor-Quick-Start-Guide-Android-Bluetooth.pdf
• WiFi adapters: https://www.obdautodoctor.com/OBD-Auto-Doctor-Quick-Start-Guide-Android-WiFi.pdf
NOTE: Please notice that most of the app features require that your car supports them too. This app can’t show information that your vehicle doesn’t provide.
▸ This app is free, but a subscription is available using an in-app purchase to unlock all the features. Check the app website for more information and differences between the versions.
Under no circumstances will the developer of this application be held responsible for incidents resulting from the use and/or interpretation of the data in the application. We reserve the right to track and report a user’s activity inside this app anonymously.
If you have any issues or concerns, we are happy to help you out. Just send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our website for more information:
If you enjoy using this OBD app, please take a minute to leave a good review: it really helps.”
2. Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car)
Torque is a vehicle / car performance / diagnostics tool and scanner that uses an OBD II Bluetooth adapter to connect to your OBD2 engine management / ECU
Layout your own dashboard with the widgets / gauges you want!
It can use the GPS to provide tracker logs with OBD engine logging so you can see what you were doing at any point in time
It can also show and reset a DTC / CEL / fault code like a scantool. Helps you fix your car and helps keep repair costs down!
Torque also features:
* Dyno / Dynomometer and Horsepower/HP & Torque
* Can read Transmission Temperatures (vehicle dependant)
* 0-60 speed timings – more accurate than just using plain old GPS – see how fast your car is (or truck )
* CO2 emissions readout
* Customisable dashboard & profiles
* Video your journey using the Track Recorder plugin with onscreen OBDII data overlay – a black box for your car/truck!
* Automatically send GPS tagged tweets directly to twitter (for example if you are going on a road trip)
* Massive fault code database for lookup of fault codes from different manufacturers
* Theme support (choose from different themes to change the look of your dashboard)
* Send logging information to web or email CSV/KML for analysis via excel / openoffice reader
* Heads up display / HUD mode for night time driving
* Compass (GPS Based) that won’t suffer magnetic interference
* GPS Speedometer/Tracking and realtime web upload capability – see what you were doing and your engine, at a point in time
* Turbo boost feature for vehicles that support MAP and MAF sensors (VW & Golf / Audi / Seat etc supported)
* Alarms and warnings (for example if your coolant temperature goes over 120C whilst driving) with voice/speech overlay
* Car dock support
* Graph data
* Able to share screenshots to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Email, etc
* AIDL API for third party apps, A simple Telnet interface for developers to talk to the adapter, and an OBD scanner.
* Works on tablet devices like the Motorola Xoom, Dell Streak, Samsung Galaxy Tab and Nook
Works on any vehicle that uses the OBD 2 standard (most vehicles built after 2000, but can work for vehicles as far back as 1996) if in doubt check with your manufacturer first or look for ‘OBD2’ on written on a big white label in your engine bay
Works on vehicles made by Ford, VW, GM/Vauxhall/Opel, Chrysler, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Audi, Jaguar, Citroen, Peugoet, Skoda, Kia, Mazda, Lexus, Subaru, Renault, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, BMW, Toyota, Seat, Dodge, Jeep, Pontiac and many more vehicle makes, European, US, Far East, etc. Some vehicle ECUs may support more/less features than others
The app needs a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter to work. The adapter is small and plugs into the diagnostics socket on the car which gives your phone access. You can find a list of adapters on: http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters (Garmin EcoRoute HD adapters not supported)
If you buy one of the cheap china OBD2 ELM327 bluetooth adapters from ebay / amazon, then make sure you have a good returns policy with the seller
Some of the best reliable OBD2 / OBD adapters are the Scantool.net adapter, the OBDKey, and PLX Devices, OBDLink, Bluetooth, ELM327 and other adapters are supported – search on google for them
More features added every release – there are forums at http://torque-bhp.com/forums/ – if you want something added then let me know and I’ll try to add it if it is possible! Vehicle ECUs vary in the amount of sensors supported
*PLEASE NOTE* Any reports of hanging or reboots after quitting the app is due to a bug in HTC devices and Galaxy Tab,this can be triggered by using the Pandora/Vlingo/Other BT apps. Disabling Pandoras new bluetooth settings fixes the problem, but HTC/Samsung need to release a fix.Please contact their support and request a fix,Thanks!
3. Car Scanner ELM OBD2
“See what your car is doing in realtime, get OBD fault codes, car performance, sensor data and more!
Car Scanner is a vehicle / car performance / trip computer / diagnostics tool and scanner that uses an OBD II Wi-Fi or Bluetooth adapter to connect to your OBD2 engine management / ECU.
Car Scanner gives you a bunch of unique features:
1) Layout your own dashboard with the gauges and charts you want!
2) Add custom (extended PIDs) and get information, that was hidden from you by car manufacturer!
3) It can also show and reset a DTC fault code like a scantool. Car Scanner includes a huge database of DTC codes descriptions.
4) Car Scanner allows you to read free-frames (sensors state when DTC is saved).
5) Now with Mode 06 – you can get ECU self-monitoring test results. Helps you fix your car and helps keep repair costs down!
6) Check if your car is ready for emission tests.
7) Check all of the sensors at one screen
8) Car Scanner works with any vehicle that uses the OBD 2 standard (most vehicles built after 2000, but can work for vehicles as far back as 1996, check carscanner.info for more details).
9) Car Scanner includes a lot of connection profiles, that gives you some extra features for Toyota, Mitsubishi, GM, Opel, Vauxhal, Chevrolet, Nissan, Infinity, Renault, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Ford, Subaru, Dacia, Volkswagen, Skoda, Seat, Audi and others.
10) Car Scanner dashboard includes a HUD mode, that you can use to project data to your windshield.
11) Car Scanner provides a tool for very accurate acceleration measurments (0-60, 0-100, etc.)
12) Car Scanner can be used as a trip computer and can show you fuel consumption statistics!
13) Car Scanner supports coding (changing hidden settings of your car) for this cars:
– VAG group (Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda, Seat), built on the MQB, PQ26 and MLB-EVO platforms. Some exclusive functions you would find only in Car Scanner: Video in motion (VIM), Mirrorlink in motion (MIM), Traffic Jam Assist activation, Drive mode profiles editor (compatibility may depend on your car modules and firmware versions), Ambient lights configuration, etc.;
– Toyota/Lexus cars with CAN bus (almost all cars since 2008 up to nowadays);
– Some of Renault/Dacia (compatibility may depend on your car modules and firmware versions);
– Several service functions available for other cars.
14) And one more thing – Car Scanner provides the widest variety of features for FREE across the Play Market.
The app requires a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth or Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth LE) OBD2 ELM327 compatible adapter (device) to work. ELM327 devices plugs into the diagnostics socket in the car and gives your phone access to car diagnostics.
Recommended adapters brands: OBDLink, Kiwi 3, V-Gate, Carista, LELink, Veepeak.
If you buy one of the cheap china OBD2 ELM327 adapters from ebay / amazon, then make sure it’s not marked as v.2.1. This adapters are supported, but they have lot’s of bugs.
PLEASE NOTE: Vehicle ECUs vary in the amount of sensors supported. This app can’t show you something, that is not provided by your car.
Attention “bad” adapters! We faced the problem, that some adapters (often cheep Chinese clones), can’t connect to the smartphone or the car. Some of them can even make your car engine work unstable, often lost connection, increase time lag when reading data.
So, we recommend you to use genuine ELM327 or recommended adapter brands.”
4. Torque Lite (OBD2 & Car)
An OBD II engine ECU diagnostics tool that uses a cheap bluetooth ELM / OBD adapter to connect to your car OBD2 engine management system
Some features include:
* Shows and Resets engine fault codes / DTC trouble codes stored in your car
* Can export map/track log files to Google Earth KML / CSV
* Engine performance data(0 to 60, 0-100, quarter mile, etc) (full version)
* Head up Display / GPS HUD mode perfect for checking your speed at night
* Data Logging functions including web upload and file logging, you can even upload data to your own web server from sensors you choose
* Customisable dashboard with theme support – setup the dashboard with the gauges and dials that you want
* Can help you fix your car and helps keep car repair costs down!
* Turbo Boost gauge support for VW vehicles (in Pro version only)
* MPG for Petrol/Gasoline vehicles. (Pro version has diesel support)
This is the free/basic version – it lets you get a feel for the application and lets you find out if it works with your vehicle / obd2 adapter combination; but may contain some small bugs including not working on some nissan/chrysler/subaru ECUs. The paid version has support for more vehicles and ECU types, looks a lot nicer, and works with more cars / trucks
The paid version has more features (HorsePower,Torque, 0-60 , quarter mile tests, graph data, map / track views) + no adverts and exra dial/display types! and better ABS / Knock sensor support, Transmission temperature support for some makes of car / trucks (GM / Ford, etc), and Turbo Boost on many more vehicles (including VW)
Works on vehicles made by Ford, GM/Vauxhall/Opel, Chrysler, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Audi, Jaguar, Citroen, Peugoet, Skoda, Kia, Mazda, Lexus, Daewoo, Renault, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, BMW, Toyota, Seat, Dodge, Jeep, Pontiac, Subaru and many more vehicle makes, European, US, Far East, etc. Some vehicle ECUs may support more/less features than others.
**PLEASE NOTE!** Any reports of hanging or freezing after quitting the app is due to a bug in the HTC Evo 4G and Galaxy Tab, this can be triggered by using the Pandora/Vlingo/Aldiko bluetooth enabled apps. Disabling Pandoras new bluetooth settings fixes the problem, but HTC/Samsung need to release a fix. Please contact their support and encourage them to fix, Thanks!
The pro version supports USB ELM adapters which are use ‘Prolific’ or ‘FTDI’ chips
* Update: A freeze/hang workaround has been found after a great amount of effort and is available in the full version in the General Preferences settings!”
5. ScanMaster for ELM327 OBD-2 ScanTool
“ScanMaster Lite is an application for vehicle diagnostics to OBD-2/EOBD standards. It “transforms” your Android smartphone or tablet together with an ELM327 diagnostic interface to a vehicle diagnostic device. Many important OBD-2 functions are despite “Lite” available without restriction. Only the number of parameters and error codes are limited compared to the Pro version. The paid Pro version with even more features can be purchased via In-App Billing function.
The following ELM327 and compatible OBD2 interfaces are supported:
APOS BT OBD 327
ElmCanII Bluetooth and WiFi
OBDLink Bluetooth and WiFI
ELM327 Bluetooth and WiFi
Pearl Lescars Bluetooth and WiFi
The interfaces can be purchased on our websites https://www.wgsoft.de or https://www.obd-2.de/shop/ if required.
Everything completely in German and English. In the graphical representation of data, there are “pause” function. In this mode, the recorded data can be scrolled and zoomed by gesture.
We would greatly appreciate the feedback on the app. Please send us an email about your experiences, opinions or suggestions.”
6. OBD Fusion (Car Diagnostics)
“OBD Fusion (formerly TouchScan) is an app that allows you to read OBD2 vehicle data directly from your Android phone or tablet. You can clear your check engine light, read diagnostic trouble codes, estimate fuel economy and much more! OBD Fusion has a ton of features that are used by professional car mechanics, do-it-yourselfers, and users who want to monitor car data during day to day driving. Some of the features include customizable dashboards, real-time graphing of vehicle sensors, emission readiness status, data logging and exporting, oxygen sensor tests, Boost readout, and a full diagnostic report.
Is your check engine light on? Do you want to monitor fuel economy and usage in your vehicle? Do you want cool looking gauges on your Android phone or tablet? If so, then OBD Fusion is the app for you!
OBD Fusion is a vehicle diagnostics tool that connects to OBD-II and EOBD vehicles. Not sure if your vehicle is OBD-2, EOBD or JOBD compliant? See this page for more information: https://www.obdsoftware.net/support/knowledge-base/how-do-i-know-whether-my-vehicle-is-obd-ii-compliant/. OBD Fusion works with some JOBD compliant vehicles and in some cases requires modifications to the connection settings in the app. Please contact us for more information.
You must have a compatible scan tool to use this software. For recommended scan tools, see our website https://www.obdsoftware.net/software/obdfusion. Please note that cheap ELM clone adapters can be unreliable. OBD Fusion can connect to any ELM 327 compatible adapter, but the cheap clone adapters tend to have slow refresh rates and might disconnect randomly.
OBD Fusion for Android is brought to you by OCTech, LLC, the developers of TouchScan and OBDwiz for Windows and OBDLink for Android. Now you can get the same great features for your phone or tablet.
OBD Fusion has the following features:
• Read and clear diagnostic trouble codes and your Check Engine Light (MIL/CEL)
• Real-time dashboard display with heads up display (HUD) option
• Real-time graphing
• Fuel economy MPG, MPG (UK), l/100km or km/l calculation
• Create custom enhanced PIDs
• Includes some built-in enhanced PIDs for Ford and GM vehicles including engine misfires, transmission temp, and oil temp.
• Multiple trip meters for tracking fuel economy, fuel usage, and distance
• Customizable dashboards with fast dashboard switching
• Log data to CSV format and export for viewing in any spreadsheet application
• Display battery voltage
• Display Engine Torque, Engine Power, Turbo Boost pressure, and air-to-fuel (A/F) ratio (vehicle must support the required PIDs)
• Read freeze frame data
• English, Imperial, and Metric units that are fully customizable
• Over 150 supported PIDs
• Displays vehicle information including VIN number and calibration ID
• Emissions readiness for each US state
• Oxygen Sensor Results (Mode $05)
• On-board Monitoring Tests (Mode $06)
• In-performance Tracking Counters (Mode $09)
• GPS tracking – plot vehicle parameters on a map in real-time
• Full diagnostic report that can be stored and emailed
• Option to select the connected ECU
• Built-in database of fault code definitions
• Bluetooth, Bluetooth LE*, USB**, Automatic Adapter Gen 2 and Pro***, and Wi-Fi**** scan tool support
* Your Android device must have Bluetooth LE support and be running Android 4.3 or newer.
** You must have a tablet with USB host support to connect using a USB device. Only FTDI USB devices are supported.
*** OBD Fusion with the Automatic adapter is currently limited to reading SAE PID data only.
**** Your Android device must support ad-hoc Wi-Fi connections to use a Wi-Fi adapter.
OBD Fusion is a trademark of OCTech, LLC registered in the U.S.”
7. BlueDriver OBD2 Scan Tool
“BlueDriver® is a Premium Diagnostic OBD2 Scan Tool. It is used by professional mechanics, auto enthusiasts, and everyday vehicle owners who want to know more about how their vehicle is operating and how their vehicle can be fixed if the Check Engine Light comes on.
• Generate, print, and share Repair Reports (details below)
• Scan For Trouble Codes
• Clear Trouble Codes
• Enhanced Diagnostics (e.g. ABS, Airbag, Transmission, etc.) for
– GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Mercedes (2005 models and newer), Mitsubishi (2008 models and newer), Hyundai/Kia (2012 models and newer) (available worldwide)
– BMW/Mini, Honda/Acura, Volkswagen/Audi (available in North America)
– Subaru (available in United States)
• Mode 6 (On-Board Monitoring Test Results)
• Smog Readiness Check
• Freeze Frame Data
• Multi data (PID) interactive graphing and logging
• No Wires! Communicates with your vehicle wirelessly
• Metric and Imperial settings
••••••••BlueDriver Repair Report Information••••••••
The BlueDriver Repair Database contains over 30 million experienced-based Reported Fixes for Trouble Codes (DTC’s). Ranked as Top Reported Fixes, Frequently Reported Fixes and Other Reported Fixes, a BlueDriver Repair Report is specific to your vehicle’s year, make and model. The detailed report goes well beyond providing a cryptic code definition by giving you validated fixes for your trouble codes. Save time by using BlueDriver to prioritize how your vehicle can be repaired. Preview a sample Repair Report in App.
BlueDriver is a professional diagnostic scan tool and the App is free to install but does require the purchase of the BlueDriver Bluetooth® OBD2 Sensor to communicate with your vehicle. The Sensor is sold separately under the ‘More’ tab in App or at www.BlueDriver.com. Repair Reports can be generated without purchasing a Sensor by tapping ‘Repair Reports’ > ‘New Report’ and entering the VIN and Trouble Code.
The BlueDriver Sensor simply connects to your data port located inside your car near the steering wheel. Every car made since 1996 has a data port. BlueDriver has global vehicle compatibility and can be used anywhere in the world.
Check out what thousands of BlueDriver users and Fans are raving about at www.facebook.com/BlueDriver.f
Follow us on Twitter @BlueDriver_tw”